From: bart.c on
"tm" <thomas.mertes(a)gmx.at> wrote in message
> On 13 Jul., 12:32, Richard Heathfield <r...(a)see.sig.invalid> wrote:

>> Here's a win-win suggestion for you - write yourself a program (in Seed7
>> if you wish) that generates a sigfile containing information about the
>> latest release; that way, every time you post to Usenet, on whatever
>> subject you wish, you will be advertising the latest release in a way
>> that nobody can reasonably object to - sigblocks have never been
>> required to be topical or novel, just short. You could still do full
>> release announcements every three months or so (I don't think anyone
>> would object to that, would they?); you'd still be letting people know
>> about Seed7, but in a way that didn't get on people's wicks all the time.
>>
>> Just a thought.
>
> Thank you for your suggestion. I will think over it.

One way is to put details of minor updates on a website. And perhaps have a
restricted mailing list to notify those who are interested.

And to use usenet for more major announcements (such as Seed8...).

But I suspect most people, like me, aren't too bothered by seeing your
updates.

--
Bartc

From: Ersek, Laszlo on
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, bart.c wrote:

> "tm" <thomas.mertes(a)gmx.at> wrote in message
>> On 13 Jul., 12:32, Richard Heathfield <r...(a)see.sig.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> Here's a win-win suggestion for you - write yourself a program (in
>>> Seed7 if you wish) that generates a sigfile containing information
>>> about the latest release; that way, every time you post to Usenet, on
>>> whatever subject you wish, you will be advertising the latest release
>>> in a way that nobody can reasonably object to - sigblocks have never
>>> been required to be topical or novel, just short. You could still do
>>> full release announcements every three months or so (I don't think
>>> anyone would object to that, would they?); you'd still be letting
>>> people know about Seed7, but in a way that didn't get on people's
>>> wicks all the time.
>>>
>>> Just a thought.
>>
>> Thank you for your suggestion. I will think over it.
>
> One way is to put details of minor updates on a website. And perhaps
> have a restricted mailing list to notify those who are interested.
>
> And to use usenet for more major announcements (such as Seed8...).
>
> But I suspect most people, like me, aren't too bothered by seeing your
> updates.

I'm not bothered by the announcements at all. Software is chosen by and
large based on inertia and groupthink. Being a bit forceful against that
tendence is okay, especially if there is no (hidden) commercial interest,
and/or the announcements are as easy to filter as those of Thomas.

People have posted here about their proprietary programs even during the
short interval I spent here, which was great, because those "ads" were
technical in nature and they led me to read about interesting things
(Lockless Inc's allocator comes to my mind now, and just::thread).

I have the vague impression that Mark Adler used to announce new versions
of pigz on Usenet too.

lacos
From: Rugxulo on
Hi,

On Jul 13, 8:55 am, "bart.c" <ba...(a)freeuk.com> wrote:

> But I suspect most people, like me, aren't too bothered by seeing your
> updates.

Better than the "real" spam on Google Groups (*shakes fist*), which
isn't quite on-topic.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: client socket