From: Roy Smith on
In article <00fa27a3$0$15628$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>,
Steven D'Aprano <steve(a)REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> wrote:

> I am pleased to announce the first public release of obfuscate 0.2.2a.
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/obfuscate/0.2.2a
>
> obfuscate is a pure-Python module providing classical encryption
> algorithms suitable for obfuscating and unobfuscating text.
>
> obfuscate includes the following ciphers:
> - Caesar, rot13, rot5, rot18, rot47
> - atbash
> - Playfair, Playfair6 and Playfair16
> - Railfence (encryption only)
> - Keyword
> - Affine
> - Vigenere
> - frob (xor)

No pig latin?
From: Daniel Fetchinson on
> I am pleased to announce the first public release of obfuscate 0.2.2a.
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/obfuscate/0.2.2a
>
> obfuscate is a pure-Python module providing classical encryption
> algorithms suitable for obfuscating and unobfuscating text.
>
> obfuscate includes the following ciphers:
> - Caesar, rot13, rot5, rot18, rot47
> - atbash
> - Playfair, Playfair6 and Playfair16
> - Railfence (encryption only)
> - Keyword
> - Affine
> - Vigenere
> - frob (xor)
>
> and others.
>
> DISCLAIMER: obfuscate is not cryptographically strong, and should not be
> used where high security is required. (The ciphers provided in obfuscate
> may have been state of the art centuries ago, but should not be used
> where strong encryption is required.
>
> obfuscate is released under the MIT licence.
>
> Requires Python 2.5 or 2.6.

Great, these packages are badly needed!

If the code base stabilizes in a production version after losing the
alphas and betas they would be a great addition to the stdlib, I
think.

Cheers,
Daniel

From: Robert Kern on
On 2010-02-09 09:37 AM, Daniel Fetchinson wrote:
>> I am pleased to announce the first public release of obfuscate 0.2.2a.
>>
>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/obfuscate/0.2.2a
>>
>> obfuscate is a pure-Python module providing classical encryption
>> algorithms suitable for obfuscating and unobfuscating text.
>>
>> obfuscate includes the following ciphers:
>> - Caesar, rot13, rot5, rot18, rot47
>> - atbash
>> - Playfair, Playfair6 and Playfair16
>> - Railfence (encryption only)
>> - Keyword
>> - Affine
>> - Vigenere
>> - frob (xor)
>>
>> and others.
>>
>> DISCLAIMER: obfuscate is not cryptographically strong, and should not be
>> used where high security is required. (The ciphers provided in obfuscate
>> may have been state of the art centuries ago, but should not be used
>> where strong encryption is required.
>>
>> obfuscate is released under the MIT licence.
>>
>> Requires Python 2.5 or 2.6.
>
> Great, these packages are badly needed!
>
> If the code base stabilizes in a production version after losing the
> alphas and betas they would be a great addition to the stdlib, I
> think.

Why?

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

From: Aahz on
In article <mailman.2238.1265733013.28905.python-list(a)python.org>,
Robert Kern <robert.kern(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>On 2010-02-09 09:37 AM, Daniel Fetchinson wrote:
>>>
>>> obfuscate is a pure-Python module providing classical encryption
>>> algorithms suitable for obfuscating and unobfuscating text.
>>>
>>> DISCLAIMER: obfuscate is not cryptographically strong, and should not be
>>> used where high security is required. (The ciphers provided in obfuscate
>>> may have been state of the art centuries ago, but should not be used
>>> where strong encryption is required.
>>
>> Great, these packages are badly needed!
>>
>> If the code base stabilizes in a production version after losing the
>> alphas and betas they would be a great addition to the stdlib, I
>> think.
>
>Why?

You missed the white-on-white smiley, I think.
--
Aahz (aahz(a)pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

import antigravity
From: Simon Brunning on
On 9 February 2010 16:29, Robert Kern <robert.kern(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-02-09 09:37 AM, Daniel Fetchinson wrote:
>> If the code base stabilizes in a production version after losing the
>> alphas and betas they would be a great addition to the stdlib, I
>> think.
>
> Why?

I agree. Why wait? Put them in the stdlib now!

--
Cheers,
Simon B.