From: Tim Golden on
On 10/02/2010 11:23, Simon Brunning wrote:
> "Hello World!".encode('rot-13')

Not any more!

<dump>
Python 3.1.1 (r311:74483, Aug 17 2009,
win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or
>>> "Hello World!".encode('rot-13')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
LookupError: unknown encoding: rot-13

</dump>

TJG
From: Gregory Ewing on
Christian Heimes wrote:
> A much, much stronger version of the
> principles behind Vigenère was used in the German Enigma machine.
> Because the algorithm was still not good enought some clever guy called
> Turing and his team was able to crack the enigma.

Actually I gather it had a lot to do with the fact that
the Germans made some blunders in the way they used the
Enigma that seriously compromised its security. There
was reportedly a branch of the German forces that used
their Enigmas differently, avoiding those mistakes, and
the British never managed to crack any of their messages.

--
Greg
From: Gregory Ewing on
Daniel Fetchinson wrote:

> It also turned out that everybody mostly writes his/her
> own obfuscation routine.

Hey, it gives you the additional advantage of obfuscation
by obscurity!

--
Greg
From: Paul Rubin on
Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing(a)canterbury.ac.nz> writes:
> Actually I gather it had a lot to do with the fact that the Germans
> made some blunders in the way they used the Enigma that seriously
> compromised its security. There was reportedly a branch of the German
> forces that used their Enigmas differently, avoiding those mistakes,
> and the British never managed to crack any of their messages.

I think you are thinking of the Kriegsmarine (naval) Enigma. Yes they
were more careful with procedures, but the machine was also harder to
crack because it had four rotors instead of three. IIRC, the Brits were
eventually (1942?) able to capture one by shooting up a German submarine
and boarding it to get the machine while the sub was sinking; a British
sailor wasn't able to get out in time and drowned during that operation.
Getting the rotor settings off the captured unit (they may have had to
do it more than once) was enough to get a foothold into the code. My
memory is hazy on this by now so I may have some parts wrong, but David
Kahn's book "Seizing the Enigma" tells the story (I read it many years
ago). A fictionalized version appears in Neil Stephenson's novel
"Cryptonomicon".
From: Matthew Barnett on
Paul Rubin wrote:
> Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing(a)canterbury.ac.nz> writes:
>> Actually I gather it had a lot to do with the fact that the Germans
>> made some blunders in the way they used the Enigma that seriously
>> compromised its security. There was reportedly a branch of the German
>> forces that used their Enigmas differently, avoiding those mistakes,
>> and the British never managed to crack any of their messages.
>
> I think you are thinking of the Kriegsmarine (naval) Enigma. Yes they
> were more careful with procedures, but the machine was also harder to
> crack because it had four rotors instead of three. IIRC, the Brits were
> eventually (1942?) able to capture one by shooting up a German submarine
> and boarding it to get the machine while the sub was sinking; a British
> sailor wasn't able to get out in time and drowned during that operation.
> Getting the rotor settings off the captured unit (they may have had to
> do it more than once) was enough to get a foothold into the code. My
> memory is hazy on this by now so I may have some parts wrong, but David
> Kahn's book "Seizing the Enigma" tells the story (I read it many years
> ago). A fictionalized version appears in Neil Stephenson's novel
> "Cryptonomicon".

U-559? I think that's the one where Hollywood made a film about it, but
portraying it as a purely American action. That didn't go down too well
in the UK!