From: Steven D'Aprano on
I am pleased to announce the first public release of obfuscate 0.2.2a.

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/obfuscate/0.2.2a

obfuscate is a pure-Python module providing classical encryption
algorithms suitable for obfuscating and unobfuscating text.

obfuscate includes the following ciphers:
- Caesar, rot13, rot5, rot18, rot47
- atbash
- Playfair, Playfair6 and Playfair16
- Railfence (encryption only)
- Keyword
- Affine
- Vigenere
- frob (xor)

and others.

DISCLAIMER: obfuscate is not cryptographically strong, and should not be
used where high security is required. (The ciphers provided in obfuscate
may have been state of the art centuries ago, but should not be used
where strong encryption is required.

obfuscate is released under the MIT licence.

Requires Python 2.5 or 2.6.

--
Steven D'Aprano
From: Christian Heimes on
Steven D'Aprano schrieb:
> I am pleased to announce the first public release of obfuscate 0.2.2a.
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/obfuscate/0.2.2a
>
> obfuscate is a pure-Python module providing classical encryption
> algorithms suitable for obfuscating and unobfuscating text.
>
> obfuscate includes the following ciphers:
> - Caesar, rot13, rot5, rot18, rot47
> - atbash
> - Playfair, Playfair6 and Playfair16
> - Railfence (encryption only)
> - Keyword
> - Affine
> - Vigenere
> - frob (xor)

Nice work!

Your work should be interesting for everybody who has read Simon Sing's
"The Code Book: The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum".

Christian
From: geremy condra on
On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Steven D'Aprano
<steve(a)remove-this-cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> I am pleased to announce the first public release of obfuscate 0.2.2a.
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/obfuscate/0.2.2a
>
> obfuscate is a pure-Python module providing classical encryption
> algorithms suitable for obfuscating and unobfuscating text.
>
> obfuscate includes the following ciphers:
>  - Caesar, rot13, rot5, rot18, rot47
>  - atbash
>  - Playfair, Playfair6 and Playfair16
>  - Railfence (encryption only)
>  - Keyword
>  - Affine
>  - Vigenere
>  - frob (xor)
>
> and others.
>
> DISCLAIMER: obfuscate is not cryptographically strong, and should not be
> used where high security is required. (The ciphers provided in obfuscate
> may have been state of the art centuries ago, but should not be used
> where strong encryption is required.
>
> obfuscate is released under the MIT licence.
>
> Requires Python 2.5 or 2.6.
>

> --
> Steven D'Aprano

Nice! Maybe someday you can extend it with a pen-and-paper
signature scheme ;)

Geremy Condra
From: Tim Chase on
Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> obfuscate is a pure-Python module providing classical encryption
> algorithms suitable for obfuscating and unobfuscating text.
>
> obfuscate includes the following ciphers:
> - Caesar, rot13, rot5, rot18, rot47
> - atbash
> - Playfair, Playfair6 and Playfair16
> - Railfence (encryption only)
> - Keyword
> - Affine
> - Vigenere
> - frob (xor)

I prefer the strength of Triple ROT-13 for my obfuscation needs,
but I don't see it listed here. I guess I'll have to roll my own
despite the dire warnings against amateur cryptographers
authoring their own unvetted implementations. ;-)

-tkc

From: Gregory Ewing on
Tim Chase wrote:

> I prefer the strength of Triple ROT-13 for my obfuscation needs, but I
> don't see it listed here.

That's old hat -- with the advent of 3GHz cpus and GPGPU, all the
experts are recommending quadruple ROT-128 nowadays.

--
Greg