From: Bentley Wolfe [Adobe] on
TEST POTENTIAL FIX for 1904 Flash Player install issue.

A number of users have had this problem. Some have posted threads,
others have opened support incidents. We have a potential fix but I
need to have it confirmed by end users before I feel comfortable
publishing a technote.

If you have the 1904 error, please test these steps to see if they allow
you to then install Flash Player 8. Reply back to the thread with your
results..

(If you have other Flash Player install issues, see
http://www.macromedia.com/support/flashplayer).

You will need to be comfortable editing the registry with regedit. If
you are _NOT_ comfortable editing the registry then it's probably best
to just wait until we confirm a solution and publish a technote, or to
take your machine to a professional.

STEPS:
In the registry find the following keys (if they exist). Then right
click and grant read/full control to Administrator.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.1
(There is NO ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.2)
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.7
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.spl
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.swf
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mfp
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sol
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sor

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}\InprocServer32
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/x-shockwave-flash
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/futuresplash

Bentley Wolfe
Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player
*Macromedia, now a division of Adobe Systems
From: Bentley Wolfe [Adobe] on
-->dan mode wrote:
> Fabulous.
> Thanks Bentley.

Don't forget to report back. With detail. I'm dying for this issue to
finally be resolved...

Bentley