From: Aidan Karley on
In article <jcassady.2jb24t(a)nospamplease.com>, Jcassady wrote:
> I renamed the second one to "backup-xxxx" and the original
> retains the "storage-xxxx" moniker.

This sounds like a device with the same/ similar firmware to my
external box.
Try disabling the DHCP on the device you can access and setting
it's IP address high into the range of your local network. For example,
my house has 10.0.0.2 as the modem-DHCP server-gateway, various
machines attaching in the DHCP range 10.0.0.5 to 10.0.0.20 (I only have
an 8-port hub), then the print server is hard set at 10.0.0.248 and the
file server at 10.0.0.250.
If this is gobbledegook to you, then you need a primer in TCP/IP
networking. Of which there are plenty. The Linus Network
Administrator's Guide (NAG) is a good, and freely available, primer.
It's available in several formats for online or offline browsing at
http://tldp.org/guides.html#nag2 (if you're messing with your
connectivity, you should have it locally available in case you screw
your connection).

--
Aidan Karley
Aberdeen, Scotland

From: memyselfandus on
> roadkillwrote:
When I upgraded to the latest the scan did find a bunch of bad files
the first time I ran it. There have been no more since. I beleive
that the latest firmware is better at finding bad files and preventing
more from getting corrupted. So far all the problems I was having with
the drive crashing are gone! :cool:

This verison is also must, if you want to access the drive in
Windows Vista. Apart from this patch, you
also need to the following:

Click "Start -> Run." Then, type in the Run field:
"secpol.msc." That will bring you to Vista's security policy
system. Once there, use "Go to: Local Policies > Security
Options" and then find "Network Security: LAN Manager"
authentication level. Once there, change the Setting from "Send
NTLMv2 response only" to "Send LM & NTLM -- use NTLMv2
session security if negotiated."

Enjoy