From: BRH on
I got my WD My Book Essential (250 Gigs) installed using USB 2.0, thanks
to the replies I got on an earlier thread.

Now that it's up and running, "Properties" reports that there are approx
232 Gigs free on the drive. (It comes with some software on it, which
takes up the rest of the space.) It also says that its formatted under
FAT32. I've read that FAT32 has a 4Gig limit, which seems to contradict
what I'm seeing under "Properties" for this drive. I also have an
internal hard drive partition on my system of approx 60 Gigs that I have
formatted under FAT 32.

So what's the truth -- Is there a limit under FAT32 or not? If not,
what's the advantage of converting this drive over to NTFS, which seems
to be recommended in some of the online reviews I've read?

If it matters, I'm using Win XP Pro SP2 as my Operating System.

Thanks!
From: Rod Speed on
BRH wrote

> I got my WD My Book Essential (250 Gigs) installed using USB 2.0, thanks to the replies I got on
> an earlier thread.

> Now that it's up and running, "Properties" reports that there are
> approx 232 Gigs free on the drive. (It comes with some software on it, which takes up the rest of
> the space.) It also says that its
> formatted under FAT32. I've read that FAT32 has a 4Gig limit, which
> seems to contradict what I'm seeing under "Properties" for this drive.

Nope, the limit is with the file size, not the partition size.

> I also have an internal hard drive partition on my system of approx 60 Gigs that I have formatted
> under FAT 32.

> So what's the truth -- Is there a limit under FAT32 or not?

Yes, there is a limit to the file size. That is not the size of the partition.
http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

> If not, what's the advantage of converting this drive over to NTFS,

You can have files bigger than 4G on it. Those are mostly video files.

> which seems to be recommended in some of the online reviews I've read?

NTFS has a number of advantges over FAT32.

From: BRH on
Rod Speed wrote:
> BRH wrote
>

>>I got my WD My Book Essential (250 Gigs) installed using USB 2.0, thanks to the replies I got on
>>an earlier thread.
>

>>Now that it's up and running, "Properties" reports that there are
>>approx 232 Gigs free on the drive. (It comes with some software on it, which takes up the rest of
>>the space.) It also says that its
>>formatted under FAT32. I've read that FAT32 has a 4Gig limit, which
>>seems to contradict what I'm seeing under "Properties" for this drive.
>

> Nope, the limit is with the file size, not the partition size.
>

>>I also have an internal hard drive partition on my system of approx 60 Gigs that I have formatted
>>under FAT 32.
>

>>So what's the truth -- Is there a limit under FAT32 or not?
>

> Yes, there is a limit to the file size. That is not the size of the partition.
> http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
>

>>If not, what's the advantage of converting this drive over to NTFS,
>

> You can have files bigger than 4G on it. Those are mostly video files.
>

>>which seems to be recommended in some of the online reviews I've read?
>

> NTFS has a number of advantges over FAT32.
>

>>If it matters, I'm using Win XP Pro SP2 as my Operating System.

OK. Thanks!
From: Ed Light on
NTFS is more reliable -- far less likely to corrupt a file.

--
Ed Light

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Send spam to the FTC at
spam(a)uce.gov
Thanks, robots.

From: Rod Speed on
Ed Light <nobody(a)nobody.there> wrote:

> NTFS is more reliable -- far less likely to corrupt a file.

But much more likely to see the OS hold its nose
and claim that the partition is unformatted or RAW.