From: Terry Dwyer on
The board seems to have been intended for an AMDXP1800+ since this
is the default BIOS setting; it offers various fsb speeds of 100/33 to
227/45
& I'm using it at 11.5x167/33 for 1921.09 MHZ with an XP2600+.
Reviews on the net indicated the MB is not really suitable for this CPU
due to cooling problems which seems to be true since I've seen BIOS
temperatures
up to 78 C. It has overheating protection according to the manual but
there is
no BIOS setting for the trip point which has activated during heavy floating
operations. This was cured by using a PSU with a side cooling fan.

Linux dmidecode shows:
BIOS version= ASUS A7V333 ACPI Bios revision 1006
BIOS date= 04/17/2002 .

The BIOS offers CPU multipliers of 9.5 to 14.0x; I thought the CPU would
have
been locked but it runs ok at 12.5x167= 2087.5 which corresponds to an
XP2800+;
as experiment the 13.0-14.0 multipliers were tried but these gave lower
speeds:
13.0x167 -> 835.26
13.5x167 -> 918.76
14.0x167 -> 1002.30 MHZ
Is this a BIOS problem given its old date or a CPU quirk?

From: Rastignac on
On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 20:47:28 -0400, Terry Dwyer <es290(a)ncf.ca> wrote:
>I've seen BIOS temperatures
>up to 78 C. It has overheating protection according to the manual but
>there is
>no BIOS setting for the trip point which has activated during heavy floating
>operations.

Old bioses show incorrect temperatures (known bug).

Newer bioses add an option to set the temperature which
trigger the overheating protection.

>BIOS version= ASUS A7V333 ACPI Bios revision 1006
>BIOS date= 04/17/2002.

Your bios is very old. You really should upgrade your bios.
From: Paul on
Terry Dwyer wrote:
> The board seems to have been intended for an AMDXP1800+ since this
> is the default BIOS setting; it offers various fsb speeds of 100/33 to
> 227/45
> & I'm using it at 11.5x167/33 for 1921.09 MHZ with an XP2600+.
> Reviews on the net indicated the MB is not really suitable for this CPU
> due to cooling problems which seems to be true since I've seen BIOS
> temperatures
> up to 78 C. It has overheating protection according to the manual but
> there is
> no BIOS setting for the trip point which has activated during heavy
> floating
> operations. This was cured by using a PSU with a side cooling fan.
>
> Linux dmidecode shows:
> BIOS version= ASUS A7V333 ACPI Bios revision 1006
> BIOS date= 04/17/2002 .
>
> The BIOS offers CPU multipliers of 9.5 to 14.0x; I thought the CPU would
> have
> been locked but it runs ok at 12.5x167= 2087.5 which corresponds to an
> XP2800+;
> as experiment the 13.0-14.0 multipliers were tried but these gave lower
> speeds:
> 13.0x167 -> 835.26
> 13.5x167 -> 918.76
> 14.0x167 -> 1002.30 MHZ
> Is this a BIOS problem given its old date or a CPU quirk?

The problem is, many motherboards (including my S462 board) only have
logic drive for four of the five FID bits. The most significant FID
bit is not driven by the overclock controller, which means the user
is stuck only being able to access half of the table of multiplier
settings.

First, consult "Barton FSB:167" table on this page. That will give you
a basic table of multiplier values versus five bit FID.

http://fab51.com/cpu/barton/athlon-e23.html

Next, go here.

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

Select "Socket View", "AMD Barton", "Vcore Selection" (i.e. don't show
the Vcore wire mod), then "...12.5xFSB" for the rightmost one. What you'll
see in your browser, is a picture of a S462 socket, with five wires shoved
into the holes in the socket, after which the processor is mounted into
the socket. This is a "wire mod", a way of forcing the FID.

Now, set the right most menu item to 20xFSB, and you'll notice only
the left most wire mod changes. That wire is pivoting between logic 0 and
1, for the MS FID.

How you'd use that, is if you wanted 13.5, you'd select 13.5x on the
ocinside.de site, then push a single strand from a piece of stranded
wire, where the left most wire is shown in the socket picture. Then,
you'd go into your BIOS, and select 13.5x. The motherboard would drive
FID0,1,2,3 to the bit pattern necessary for the 13.5x setting, and the
"wire mod" done to the FID4 bit, would complete the job.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, there are people who have
soldered switches to all the changeable stuff, for convenient control.
The "wire mod" method is not very convenient, which is why I was never
tempted to try it.

I don't know how overheat is detected on that board. Some boards have
used the CPU thermal diode, and monitored that with a Winbond 8 pin chip.
The board could also use a thermistor, and a software based method of
shutting down the machine. That method is slower than the Winbond chip.
The Winbond chip would be wired into the logic tree for PS_ON#.

One older thread mentioned the board using too much Vcore for the
processor, and the table here shows some of the possible chips.
There are three 1800+ chips in the table, and the earliest of them
uses 1.75V.

http://web.archive.org/web/20031018050306/http://www.qdi.nl/support/CPUQDISocketA.htm

You could try http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php and get a copy of CPUZ and
check the processor version. Then see if the motherboard is using
the wrong voltage for it. Reducing the voltage might help a bit
with the high temperatures. You could also change coolers, as a
solution.

Paul
From: Terry Dwyer on
Paul wrote:

> [...]
> used the CPU thermal diode, and monitored that with a Winbond 8 pin chip.
> The board could also use a thermistor, and a software based method of
> shutting down the machine. That method is slower than the Winbond chip.
> The Winbond chip would be wired into the logic tree for PS_ON#.
>
> One older thread mentioned the board using too much Vcore for the
> processor, and the table here shows some of the possible chips.
> There are three 1800+ chips in the table, and the earliest of them
> uses 1.75V.
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20031018050306/http://www.qdi.nl/support/CPUQDISocketA.htm
>

> You could try http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php and get a copy of CPUZ and
> check the processor version. Then see if the motherboard is using
> the wrong voltage for it. Reducing the voltage might help a bit
> with the high temperatures. You could also change coolers, as a

Thanks for this wealth of information; looking at the 13.0, 13.5 & 14.0
multipliers it
is subtracting 8.0 to giving 5.0, 5.5 & 6.0 which agrees the MS-bit
being dropped.
167x5.0 -> 835.26
167x5.5 -> 918.76
167x6.0 -> 1002.30 MHZ
I won't try a BIOS update since it will not fix the anomaly & it was
only a curiosity; the standard speed of 11.5x167 is fine.
From: El Kapitano on

"Terry Dwyer" <es290(a)ncf.ca> wrote in message
> The board seems to have been intended for an AMDXP1800+ since this
> is the default BIOS setting; it offers various fsb speeds of 100/33 to
> 227/45
> & I'm using it at 11.5x167/33 for 1921.09 MHZ with an XP2600+.
> Reviews on the net indicated the MB is not really suitable for this CPU
> due to cooling problems which seems to be true since I've seen BIOS
> temperatures
> up to 78 C. It has overheating protection according to the manual but
> there is
> no BIOS setting for the trip point which has activated during heavy
> floating
> operations. This was cured by using a PSU with a side cooling fan.
>
> Linux dmidecode shows:
> BIOS version= ASUS A7V333 ACPI Bios revision 1006
> BIOS date= 04/17/2002 .
>
> The BIOS offers CPU multipliers of 9.5 to 14.0x; I thought the CPU would
> have
> been locked but it runs ok at 12.5x167= 2087.5 which corresponds to an
> XP2800+;
> as experiment the 13.0-14.0 multipliers were tried but these gave lower
> speeds:
> 13.0x167 -> 835.26
> 13.5x167 -> 918.76
> 14.0x167 -> 1002.30 MHZ
> Is this a BIOS problem given its old date or a CPU quirk?

I had an A7V333 some time since, one of the things I do remember about it
was it's truly inaccurate CPU temp reporting, 12 to 15�C over IIRC. I think
MBM reported the temps more accurately. The later bios' supposedly reduced
the error but not that I noticed.

If you're in the UK I've got a bios saviour for that board if you want it
(Free to good home).

1/2 multipliers on that board where BS! BTW.

Andy H