From: William J. Burlingame on
I just tried to add 1GB memory stick to my system and now I get a
voice "System Failed CPU Test" error message. I had moved one of the
two 256MB sticks from the blue slot to a yellow one and put the 1GB
stick in the blue slot. Now I can't even get it to work in the
original configuration. I tried all the possible combinations. I
tried the F8 key after the message and it keeps repeating the message.
How would I isolate the problem? It had been working fine until I
tried the upgrade.

bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the
amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth'
to send me a message.

Bill Burlingame
From: Paul on
William J. Burlingame wrote:
> I just tried to add 1GB memory stick to my system and now I get a
> voice "System Failed CPU Test" error message. I had moved one of the
> two 256MB sticks from the blue slot to a yellow one and put the 1GB
> stick in the blue slot. Now I can't even get it to work in the
> original configuration. I tried all the possible combinations. I
> tried the F8 key after the message and it keeps repeating the message.
> How would I isolate the problem? It had been working fine until I
> tried the upgrade.
>
> bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the
> amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth'
> to send me a message.
>
> Bill Burlingame

The Asus Vocal POST is based on a Winbond voice chip. The chip has
its own little processor inside (a sequencer of sorts), and the chip
can run and play a voice sample, even if no components are plugged
into the motherboard.

"System Failed CPU Test" is based on a timer inside the Winbond chip.
If the processor does not execute enough BIOS code in the first
few seconds, the timer expires and the Winbond chip plays that message.
Anything which prevents the CPU from reaching into the Winbond
chip and clearing the timer, will cause that Vocal POST message to
occur. In the past, there were even some BIOS versions on some
boards, where they took too long to get to the timer, and that
was the reason for the message.

Based on your symptom description, I'd say the new RAM has damaged
the processor. I would sent the 1GB stick back, and get an
entirely different brand, or get your money back.

For a processor to serve as a test, this one is $30.

SDA2600BXBOX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819104249

http://web.archive.org/web/20051211211109/http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/details.aspx?opn=SDA2600AIO2BX

To use a processor like that, I'd want BIOS 1007 or later, as the chip
is an E6 stepping. So I hope your BIOS is up to date.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpu_support_right_master.aspx?type=1&name=K8V%20SE%20Deluxe&SLanguage=en-us

You can try clearing the CMOS as JamesH suggested, but if clearing
the CMOS is not helping, the next thing I'd try is another CPU.
Since a "good" S754 CPU will cost a lot more than $30, I'd try the
Sempron above, as a way to determine whether the motherboard is
the culprit. (The RAM could have damaged the Vdimm supply, in which
case the processor might not be trying to initialize at all.)

Paul
From: John Hollingsworth on
Cor, I didn't know all that Paul - TVM :-)

John

Please remove "NOSPAM" if sending email.
From: William J. Burlingame on
According to the tech at the local computer shop, the MB was damaged.
That MB is not longer produced, so I replaced the MNM, CPU and RAM.
I'm really not 100% sure that his diagnosis was correct, but I could
have spent weeks trying to resolve the problem myself.

From: William J. Burlingame on
oops

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 11:49:04 -0500, William J. Burlingame
<wjburl(a)bs.net> wrote:

>so I replaced the MNM, CPU and RAM.
so I replaced the MB, CPU and RAM.