From: ls-208 on

Hey Guys! I was reading this thread because I am having a big issue with
the same error and was hoping to get some input on the subject. One
fine day my laptop was running smoothly then just all the sudden kept
restarting itself. I ran the recovery disk 3 times and for whatever
reason it would not load windows. I know it has windows on there because
I have run it before in the past. Took it to the computer shop and they
gave me a copy of Windows XP without any drivers. All I was supposed to
have to do was download all the drivers and be good to go. So I did that
from Sony.com. Now My display does not fit the screen. I have tried
vigilanly to correct this problem but have been unsuccessful. I have a
Sony Vaio VGN-S260. I have downloaded and installed the ATI catalyst and
drivers for this VAIO several times and have continuously gotten the ATI
Control Panel Failed to initialize error as above. I have tried to open
in safe mode and install but I get driver compatibilty errors and then I
have to use the "Use last known good configuration" option just to open
windows after I try the install.
I am at a loss here and would really appreciate any help you could offer
me. Thanks a million.

P.S. In the device manager I have a Yellow question mark with an "!"
beside video controller (VGA compatible)

--
ls-208
ls-208's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/230458.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: SC Tom on

"ls-208" <ls-208.4cat5a(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Hey Guys! I was reading this thread because I am having a big issue with
> the same error and was hoping to get some input on the subject. One
> fine day my laptop was running smoothly then just all the sudden kept
> restarting itself. I ran the recovery disk 3 times and for whatever
> reason it would not load windows. I know it has windows on there because
> I have run it before in the past. Took it to the computer shop and they
> gave me a copy of Windows XP without any drivers. All I was supposed to
> have to do was download all the drivers and be good to go. So I did that
> from Sony.com. Now My display does not fit the screen. I have tried
> vigilanly to correct this problem but have been unsuccessful. I have a
> Sony Vaio VGN-S260. I have downloaded and installed the ATI catalyst and
> drivers for this VAIO several times and have continuously gotten the ATI
> Control Panel Failed to initialize error as above. I have tried to open
> in safe mode and install but I get driver compatibilty errors and then I
> have to use the "Use last known good configuration" option just to open
> windows after I try the install.
> I am at a loss here and would really appreciate any help you could offer
> me. Thanks a million.
>
> P.S. In the device manager I have a Yellow question mark with an "!"
> beside video controller (VGA compatible)
>

> --
> ls-208
> ls-208's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/230458.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/994029.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Have you installed the motherboard drivers? They should be installed before
any of the other drivers. You may possibly get the video driver only from
ATI without the CCC, but it quite often is hit-and-miss whether they'll work
on a laptop or not.
Is this your ATI?
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNS260&upd_id=1682&os_id=7
--
SC Tom

From: Andrew E. on
ATI control panel was eliminated by ATI years ago,the ATI catalyst
replaces it as one unit..Uninstall the control-panel,reinstall the catalyst..

From: ls-208 on

SC Tom;4974851 Wrote:
> Have you installed the motherboard drivers? They should be installed
> before
> any of the other drivers. You may possibly get the video driver only
> from
> ATI without the CCC, but it quite often is hit-and-miss whether they'll
> work
> on a laptop or not.
> Is this your ATI?
> http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNS260&upd_id=1682&os_id=7

Not sure about how to download and install motherboard drivers. I have
done some research on the subject but have not been able to figure all
that out. I am pretty sure that Sony is the manufacturer and the Intel
Graphics chipset is installed. Andrew E. is saying not to install the
control panel which is what this link goes to. I have tried to install
this driver 7 or 8 times already and all I get are errors about
compatibility issues.

From: SC Tom on

"ls-208" <ls-208.4cc9xb(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> SC Tom;4974851 Wrote:
>> Have you installed the motherboard drivers? They should be installed
>> before
>> any of the other drivers. You may possibly get the video driver only
>> from
>> ATI without the CCC, but it quite often is hit-and-miss whether they'll
>> work
>> on a laptop or not.
>> Is this your ATI?
>> http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNS260&upd_id=1682&os_id=7
>
> Not sure about how to download and install motherboard drivers. I have
> done some research on the subject but have not been able to figure all
> that out. I am pretty sure that Sony is the manufacturer and the Intel
> Graphics chipset is installed. Andrew E. is saying not to install the
> control panel which is what this link goes to. I have tried to install
> this driver 7 or 8 times already and all I get are errors about
> compatibility issues.
>

> --
> ls-208
> ls-208's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/230458.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/994029.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

The link goes to the graphics controller driver not the control panel.

According to this website
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=VGNS260, the VGN-S260 has
the Intel chipset for the MB, and an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700/9200 Graphics
Controller. If yours is different, you'd probably have to enter the serial
number or revision or something on your Sony support site. Before trying to
install this again, be sure to go to Add/Remove Programs in Windows Control
Panel and uninstall the current ATI driver.

If you go to this site
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNS260&upd_id=1689&os_id=7
you can download the MB driver. The installation instructions are at the
bottom of the page. They're pretty straight-forward on how to do it.

As a side note, when replying to a post, leave the previous posts intact so
that others can see the whole post. You're more likely to get more responses
if they're all together and the reader doesn't have to go to previous posts
to see what's already been tried/suggested.
--
SC Tom