From: Wodans on
Hi,

I've got Suse 9.3 on an AMD 64 bit cpu and I'm trying to get the ATI
Xpress 200 graphic card to work. I've downloaded the driver from ATI
(fglrx64_6_8_0-8.13.4-1.x86_64.rpm). When trying to install it from
Yast, Yast just quits without letting me know if it is installed or not.
Installing from console "rpm -ivh fglrx64..." it tells me that the
driver is installed. I cannot find the card in SaX so I'm completely
lost by now. Nor can Suse find my monitor, Proview 900P (19 inch).

Anyone had any luck with this card?` If so would you mind sharing the
information how you got the driver to work like "step by step for dummies"?

Cheers
From: Jim Hudgins on
Wodans wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got Suse 9.3 on an AMD 64 bit cpu and I'm trying to get the ATI
> Xpress 200 graphic card to work. I've downloaded the driver from ATI
> (fglrx64_6_8_0-8.13.4-1.x86_64.rpm). When trying to install it from
> Yast, Yast just quits without letting me know if it is installed or not.
> Installing from console "rpm -ivh fglrx64..." it tells me that the
> driver is installed. I cannot find the card in SaX so I'm completely
> lost by now. Nor can Suse find my monitor, Proview 900P (19 inch).
>
> Anyone had any luck with this card?` If so would you mind sharing the
> information how you got the driver to work like "step by step for dummies"?
>
> Cheers

I kind of have it working though not with 3D acceleration. Though the
particular machine I am attempting to configure is an AMD 64 box I
installed the 32 bit version of Suse 9.3 on it.

As you I installed the ATI drivers as an RPM and received no
confirmation other than the ####### you get with command line installs.
Once you have installed your RPM package you need make sure of your
Horizontal and Vertical sync rates as noted in your present xorg.conf
file.

From the command line in run level 3 run the script "fglrxconfig" which
was installed with the ATI drivers. The script will then run through a
wizard to configure a proper xorg.conf file for you. You may wish to
back up your original xorg.conf file before running the script.

As I mentioned before I was not able to get 3D acceleration running and
I can't get anything but "clone mode" to work with dual head output but
it did get me away from VESA drivers and allowed the 1600 x 1400
resolution I needed for the monitor used.

If anyone has a properly running setup with this particular graphics
chip I would also be very interested in how you managed.

Jim Hudgins
From: Wodans on
Jim Hudgins wrote:
> Wodans wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got Suse 9.3 on an AMD 64 bit cpu and I'm trying to get the ATI
>> Xpress 200 graphic card to work. I've downloaded the driver from ATI
>> (fglrx64_6_8_0-8.13.4-1.x86_64.rpm). When trying to install it from
>> Yast, Yast just quits without letting me know if it is installed or not.
>> Installing from console "rpm -ivh fglrx64..." it tells me that the
>> driver is installed. I cannot find the card in SaX so I'm completely
>> lost by now. Nor can Suse find my monitor, Proview 900P (19 inch).
>>
>> Anyone had any luck with this card?` If so would you mind sharing the
>> information how you got the driver to work like "step by step for
>> dummies"?
>>
>> Cheers
>

> I kind of have it working though not with 3D acceleration. Though the
> particular machine I am attempting to configure is an AMD 64 box I
> installed the 32 bit version of Suse 9.3 on it.
>
> As you I installed the ATI drivers as an RPM and received no
> confirmation other than the ####### you get with command line installs.
> Once you have installed your RPM package you need make sure of your
> Horizontal and Vertical sync rates as noted in your present xorg.conf file.
>
> From the command line in run level 3 run the script "fglrxconfig" which
> was installed with the ATI drivers. The script will then run through a
> wizard to configure a proper xorg.conf file for you. You may wish to
> back up your original xorg.conf file before running the script.
>
> As I mentioned before I was not able to get 3D acceleration running and
> I can't get anything but "clone mode" to work with dual head output but
> it did get me away from VESA drivers and allowed the 1600 x 1400
> resolution I needed for the monitor used.
>
> If anyone has a properly running setup with this particular graphics
> chip I would also be very interested in how you managed.
>
> Jim Hudgins

Thanx for the info.

Though, fglrxconfig does not recognise my xpress 200 card. There is no
option in the config to select this card so which card did you use?

Thanx
From: Jim Hudgins on
Wodans wrote:

> Thanx for the info.
>
> Though, fglrxconfig does not recognise my xpress 200 card. There is no
> option in the config to select this card so which card did you use?
>
> Thanx

I honestly don't remember as this was one of many Linux boxes in a work
environment I was working on. It was turned off and I can't remotely
access it until Tuesday. I do know I got the drivers at the following
location.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

Jim Hudgins