From: T.H on
What say the quorum regarding the need for an AV solution, real-time or
on-demand, for Macintosh OSX (Snow Leopard)? Apple has such cute
code-names for their operating systems...

I miss NeXTSTEP...

I have found ClamXav and iAntiVirus which are free for home users.

All comments welcome.

Thanks,

T.H
From: FromTheRafters on
"T.H" <tinfolihat(a)nospamplease.com> wrote in message
> What say the quorum regarding the need for an AV solution, real-time
> or on-demand, for Macintosh OSX (Snow Leopard)? Apple has such cute
> code-names for their operating systems...
>
> I miss NeXTSTEP...
>
> I have found ClamXav and iAntiVirus which are free for home users.
>
> All comments welcome.

It depends on the application. At the moment there is less need to
protect that OS since there is less malware that targets it. If the Mac
is part of a network (various OSes) it will help to protect machines on
that network if you have resident antivirus installed.

From: Victek on
> What say the quorum regarding the need for an AV solution, real-time or
> on-demand, for Macintosh OSX (Snow Leopard)? Apple has such cute
> code-names for their operating systems...
>
> I miss NeXTSTEP...
>
> I have found ClamXav and iAntiVirus which are free for home users.
>
> All comments welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> T.H
..
It really is only a matter of time. For PC users there was a period of
transition where many believed AV was unnecessary even though viruses
already existed. If I had a Mac I would get out in front of the problem and
install AV now. IMHO of course, but that's what you asked for <g>.

From: ~BD~ on
T.H wrote:
> What say the quorum regarding the need for an AV solution, real-time or
> on-demand, for Macintosh OSX (Snow Leopard)? Apple has such cute
> code-names for their operating systems...
>
> I miss NeXTSTEP...
>
> I have found ClamXav and iAntiVirus which are free for home users.
>
> All comments welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> T.H

Hello TH :)

I've tried both of the ones you have already found .

Norton and Kaspersky now have anti-virus programmes for a Mac. too!

I currently have ClamXav installed.

The staff at my local Apple Store are adamant that one need not be
concerned - yet! This view is supported by Gary Rosenzweig who tackles
the controversial question of whether you need to buy anti-virus
software for your Mac. There are currently no active Mac viruses and
anti-virus software could cause unexpected problems. Staying informed
and up-to-date is a better option.

Watch his video presentation, here:

http://macmost.com/do-macs-need-antivirus.html

HTH