From: touch on
I can not get the new avast to run. Error says " Failed to start, side
by side configeration is incorrect"
I removed Avast 4 using their unstall program.
Can anyone recomend a free anti-virus program that I can try ?
Thanks for any and all help.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: <touch>

| I can not get the new avast to run. Error says " Failed to start, side
| by side configeration is incorrect"
| I removed Avast 4 using their unstall program.
| Can anyone recomend a free anti-virus program that I can try ?
| Thanks for any and all help.

Avira AntiVir.
http://www.freeav.com/

--
Dave

From: Stephen Wolstenholme on
On Sun, 02 May 2010 09:23:03 -0400, touch wrote:

>I can not get the new avast to run. Error says " Failed to start, side
>by side configeration is incorrect"
>I removed Avast 4 using their unstall program.
>Can anyone recomend a free anti-virus program that I can try ?
>Thanks for any and all help.

Try Microsoft Security Essentials

Steve

EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com
From: s|b on
On Sun, 02 May 2010 09:23:03 -0400, touch wrote:

> I can not get the new avast to run. Error says " Failed to start, side
> by side configeration is incorrect"
> I removed Avast 4 using their unstall program.

You should have used Add/Remove Programs. Their uninstaller is only
advised when that doesn't work.

> Can anyone recomend a free anti-virus program that I can try ?
> Thanks for any and all help.

Why don't you ask for help in the avast! webforum?

<http://forum.avast.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=5765c0b5ac56ec9ecf5e29b35b0de135&board=2.0>

It helps if you mention which OS you're using, which firewall (version
number) etc.

I did a search for 'side by side configuration' and got some hits. Could
be you'll find an anwser there.

| This problem really sucks.... but there is a solution (This works on a x86 Vista. x64 should be similar).
|
| 1. Download the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable package from Microsoft at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en#Requirements
| 2. Attempt to execute it. It should extract the files and install it.
| 3. Now try to start Avast. If it doesn't work and you get the side by side error, continue.
| 4. Create a folder called "ms" (without the quotes) on your root directory of your hard drive ex. c:\ms
| 5. Copy the file you downloaded into that directory
| 6. Go to the command line with administrator privileges.
| 6a. If you don't know how to do it, go to All Programs > Accessories. Find Command Prompt. Hover over it. Right click and click on "Run as administrator".
| 7. Type the following and press enter: cd \ms
| 8. Type the following and press enter: vcredist_x86.exe -x
| 9. It will ask you for a directory to save extracted files. Type in c:\ms\extract and click OK.
| 10. Files will be extracted. Close the command prompt window.
| 11. Using file explorer go to c:\ms\extract
| 12. Double click on vc_red.msi (if you have extensions hidden, execute the vc_red that has a type "Windows Installer Package").
| 13. Installer package will install.
| 14. Delete c:\ms as you will no longer need it.

And there's always Google...

<http://www.google.com/search?&q=%22side%20by%20side%20configuration%20is%20incorrect%22>

--
s|b
From: jch on
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
> On Sun, 02 May 2010 09:23:03 -0400, touch wrote:
>
>> I can not get the new avast to run. Error says " Failed to start,
>> side by side configeration is incorrect"
>> I removed Avast 4 using their unstall program.
>> Can anyone recomend a free anti-virus program that I can try ?
>> Thanks for any and all help.
>
> Try Microsoft Security Essentials
>
> Steve

I wouldn't advise MSE. I tried it and it bogged down my system to the point
of being unusable. YMMV but for me it was awful. I removed it after a day
and went with AVG9. My XP Pro XP3 system with a 1.6GHz CPU and 1G RAM went
back to its happy quick self immediately.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Kasperksy, Gmail & Forte Agent
Next: AV for Macintosh?