From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

> Try Microsoft Security Essentials

I read this somewhere important...

"Why would you trust a security application that was written by the same
people whose operating system *requires* one (or more)?"

--
-bts
From: Stephen Wolstenholme on
On Sun, 2 May 2010 15:18:00 -0400, "jch" <jch(a)nospam.com> wrote:

>Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
>> On Sun, 02 May 2010 09:23:03 -0400, touch wrote:
>>
>>> I can not get the new avast to run. Error says " Failed to start,
>>> side by side configeration is incorrect"
>>> I removed Avast 4 using their unstall program.
>>> Can anyone recomend a free anti-virus program that I can try ?
>>> Thanks for any and all help.
>>
>> Try Microsoft Security Essentials
>>
>> Steve
>
>I wouldn't advise MSE. I tried it and it bogged down my system to the point
>of being unusable. YMMV but for me it was awful. I removed it after a day
>and went with AVG9. My XP Pro XP3 system with a 1.6GHz CPU and 1G RAM went
>back to its happy quick self immediately.

After testing MSE on a XP PC for a few month I installed it on many
other PC's varying from XP to W7 and have never had a problem. In fact
it works better than every other anti-virus application that I have
ever used and I have used most.

Steve

EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Stephen Wolstenholme" <steve(a)tropheus.demon.co.uk>

| On Sun, 2 May 2010 15:18:00 -0400, "jch" <jch(a)nospam.com> wrote:

>>Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

>>> Try Microsoft Security Essentials

>>> Steve

>>I wouldn't advise MSE. I tried it and it bogged down my system to the point
>>of being unusable. YMMV but for me it was awful. I removed it after a day
>>and went with AVG9. My XP Pro XP3 system with a 1.6GHz CPU and 1G RAM went
>>back to its happy quick self immediately.

| After testing MSE on a XP PC for a few month I installed it on many
| other PC's varying from XP to W7 and have never had a problem. In fact
| it works better than every other anti-virus application that I have
| ever used and I have used most.

"...better than every other anti-virus application..."

Based upon what criteria ?

--
Dave

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
ASCII wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> "Why would you trust a security application that was written by the
>> same people whose operating system *requires* one (or more)?"
>
> (easy answer)
> Because those authors best know their own operating system and can
> most likely best address the malevolent attempts of others to thwart
> or corrupt it.

<LOL!>

--
-bts
From: gufus on
Hello, Stephen!

You wrote on Sun, 02 May 2010 22:39:54 +0100:

>> after a day and went with AVG9. My XP Pro XP3 system with a 1.6GHz CPU
>> and 1G RAM went back to its happy quick self immediately.
>>

| After testing MSE on a XP PC for a few month I installed it on many

XP... the "Swiss cheese " of OS's IMHO

--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Kasperksy, Gmail & Forte Agent
Next: AV for Macintosh?