From: johnlgalt on
johnlgalt had written this in response to
http://www.secure-gear.com/antivirus/AVIRA-A-BIG-SUPRISE-33188-.htm :
I have implemented Micro$oft's Security Essentials, along with
MalwareByte's AntiMalware (Beta tester = registered) and WinPatrol (also
registered) for my defense.

These are the only three I rely on now for maintaining three Windows
7-based machines and one XP based machine.

I, too, have tried ESET in the past - and Norton, Symantec (both the older
SAV and the newer SEP), McAfee, Avira, AVG, Avast!, and a few others....

M$ has finally come out with a good free product.
--

JG

From: FromTheRafters on
"ASCII" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message news:4b0e9f5f.593421(a)EBCDIC...
> FromTheRafters wrote:
>>I didn't keep records of winners over time, but at a guess Kaspersky
>>and
>>F-Prot come to mind.
>
> After Kaspersky went from v3.0 to v3.5 it was in its heyday
> up until the defs were no longer available.
> F-Prot v3.16f was the last good thing Frisk did.

....and Secretariat out to stud, out to pasture, and now dead.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Dave Cohen" <user(a)example.net>

| I'd gladly swap that one 'clip to close' ad for other annoyances in my life.
| I'll be getting a laptop soon with windows 7. No doubt this will come
| with the usual trial stuff which I'll remove. Question is should I stick
| with Avira or try the new MS stuff, and will that come as part of
| windows 7. Also, to what extent are this new systems better at avoiding
| attacks than winxp. I've never had a virus in years of computing.

Stick with Avira AntiVir
and...
http://www.elitekiller.com/files/disable_antivir_nag.htm

--