From: Jason on
Runing Windows 7 Ultimate
I have a very badly infected pc & I need instructions along with best
software(freeware) to completely clean my machine also the url's for the
software.
Thanks

From: FromTheRafters on
"Jason" <jasona(a)implode.com> wrote in message
> Runing Windows 7 Ultimate
> I have a very badly infected pc & I need instructions along with best
> software(freeware) to completely clean my machine also the url's for
> the software.
> Thanks

Wipe the drive, and reinstall the OS from the original installation
media.

Backup what data you can, and then be careful when bringing it back
onboard after the "flatten and rebuild" I suggested above.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

| "Jason" <jasona(a)implode.com> wrote in message
>> Runing Windows 7 Ultimate
>> I have a very badly infected pc & I need instructions along with best
>> software(freeware) to completely clean my machine also the url's for
>> the software.
>> Thanks

| Wipe the drive, and reinstall the OS from the original installation
| media.

| Backup what data you can, and then be careful when bringing it back
| onboard after the "flatten and rebuild" I suggested above.

I agree. Especially since it was noted "Windows 7 Ultimate" and thus could NOT have been
on the PC that long.

It is also indicative that Jason has BAD HABITS and doesn't practice Safe Hex. Failure to
take proper precautions to secure his system (and his data) will just lead Jason right
back into the situation he is now faced with. Jason needs to LEARN from this experience !

--
Dave

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
FromTheRafters wrote:

> "Jason" <jasona(a)implode.com> wrote:
>> Runing Windows 7 Ultimate
>> I have a very badly infected pc & I need instructions along with best
>> software(freeware) to completely clean my machine also the url's for
>> the software. Thanks
>
> Wipe the drive, and reinstall the OS from the original installation
> media.
>
> Backup what data you can, and then be careful when bringing it back
> onboard after the "flatten and rebuild" I suggested above.

...and then do it again next week when it is re-infected. Keeping Windows
clean is a full-time job.

Jason needs to google up: practice safe hex

--
-bts
From: FromTheRafters on
> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>
>
> | "Jason" <jasona(a)implode.com> wrote in message
>>> Runing Windows 7 Ultimate
>>> I have a very badly infected pc & I need instructions along with
>>> best
>>> software(freeware) to completely clean my machine also the url's for
>>> the software.
>>> Thanks
>
> | Wipe the drive, and reinstall the OS from the original installation
> | media.
>
> | Backup what data you can, and then be careful when bringing it back
> | onboard after the "flatten and rebuild" I suggested above.
>

> I agree. Especially since it was noted "Windows 7 Ultimate" and thus
> could NOT have been
> on the PC that long.
>
> It is also indicative that Jason has BAD HABITS and doesn't practice
> Safe Hex. Failure to
> take proper precautions to secure his system (and his data) will just
> lead Jason right
> back into the situation he is now faced with. Jason needs to LEARN
> from this experience !

Yeah, I'm not one to suggest "flatten & rebuild" right off the bat in
most cases. Many times it is much too drastic, but considering the OS
and the "very badly infected" statement I thought it the best option.

Jason may also want to consider keeping disk images (or slipstreaming)
as backups as well as regular data backups - this *will* happen again
and it is good to familiarize oneself with recovery options having
failed in the implementation of preventative measures.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: N360_Backup Questions
Next: AVIRA A BIG SUPRISE!