From: Salad on
Albert, what would you recommend in preparation for Access 2010 and
publishing an app to the web?

I watched a demo of it,
http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/Access/The-Access-Show-Episode-Two/ and
http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/Access/Microsoft-Access-2010-Demo/.

The people in the vid talked about Access Services and publishing to
Sharepoint. They basically said "It's time to publish to Sharepoint,
clicked a button or two, it went thru an update proces, and voila it was
ready to work with on the web.

Is it as simple as running a wizard, like the Database Splitter, and
away one goes or is there some setup background we should be learning
now? Do you see some difficulty in the process of getting the app from
the desktop to the web...iow, is it a simple click the button or one
needs to learn a certain technology in order to make it work? Would an
admin person be able to publish an app to the web or will it take a
braniac with years of experience to do so?

From: Albert D. Kallal on
"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkallal(a)msn.com> wrote in

> Uh, you obviously don't work with much older data. Two of my
> clients' apps and one of my own research databases would be broken
> by this.

I don't know what the "supposed" 100,000,000 SharePoint users are doing in
this
case, I have to assume the use 3 columns?

> Now I'm really confused. Are you saying that what them mean is that
> a text field cannot contain a CrLf? That's crazy.

Yes. that is the case. Given that SharePoint is darn near all xml, so we
talking the web and HTML data, then this is text data. It much like trying
to import a CSV file into ms-access, there can't be any cr-lf's in the data
stream.

> When it says "Field is converted to a Multiple Lines of Text field
> or Memo field" does that mean it's converted to one of two types of
> field, or that "Multiple Lines of Text field" is a synonym for "Memo
> field"?
>
> I'm having a hard time conceiving of a reason for making two
> different kinds of text fields, one that can have CrLf in it and one
> that can't -- the utility of that escapes me!

Yes, I believe the above is the case. A memo could presumably store binary
data, where the multi-line text field can't store binary data but does allow
cr+lf's. I not a real web developer (yet!), and even passing xml data from a
web service with markup tags (for fields) does hint that no cr+lf's are
allowed in the text data stream. So, some type of data translation must/is
needed here? I believe that is the case for most web services and explains
this issue (somewhat).

> That's a pretty important lack, seems to me, especially given that
> SQL Server has no problem with GUIDs (and it's SQL Server that
> Sharepoint uses for its data store, right?).

sql is used behind the scenes but SharePoint lists are still
xml data cubes, and the whole system is designed to scale
horizontal (many many users - cloud computing, these server
farms have to scale out to millions of users).

No question that the SharePoint xml "list" has been shoe-horned
into now being a database, but that's because the success of
SharePoint and how it being used has caught everyone off guard.
The other issue is the VERY large goal of horizontal scalability
(by horizontal , not huge amounts data, but huge amounts of users)

> So, no text PK/FK columns? Hmm. That's kind of problematic, seems to
> me.

I not tested the above otherwise, but that's how I see this (someone
could jump in an correct on this, but I just not 100% sure on this one).

>> So, you can declare a column called FullName which would be
>> defined as:
>>
>> [FirstName] & " " & [LastName]
>>
>> Note that the ACTUAL value is stored in the above column. You
>> don't really care that this column is an expression or is in fact
>> calculated and stored into the actual table because this
>> expression is enforced and managed at the table level by ACE.
>
> Is it editable or just readable?

Read only. of course if you modify any field in the table that the
expression is based on, then the column data has to be updated...

> Hmm. I have often created base queries for power users where I did
> this kind of thing for them. I thinking putting it at the table
> level is bad like table-level lookups, to be honest.

Yes in a pure data sense, it really breaks the relational data rule/model of
storing redundant data. On the other hand, this is a much a scalability
issue. You pull 100,000 rows, you saved that expression being evaluated
100,000 times. There is no question that some design decisions here are due
to this all being designed for cloud computing, and that means processing is
at a premium . So, in some cases, we going back to "storing" aggregate
totals with triggers and thus can use those numbers without processing or
having to pull more records from a related table.

>Thanks for your answers, Albert. It really looks like they are
putting a lot of really great ideas into this.

You are welcome, and yes I think any investment into access is good.
When our industry changed from text/green screen to GUI, some products
did not make the jump.

I view myself as a person who is rattling a little tin up and down and
hoping Microsoft drops some coins into the little tin cup so we get new
features for ms-access.

I mean, VB6 is now 11 years old. There no new
versions of FoxPro. We don't see dBase, clipper, Revelation, KnowledgeMan,
Probase, R:BASE, Paradox, FMS-80, Reflex, they are all gone. Clipper never
even made
the jump to the GUI.

Today, we seeing a huge move towards the cloud and the web.

Access being married to office is good since it gets the $$, and access
being married to office also means we often get things that are for office,
and not really us access developers.

Regardless, we are receiving features that helps the product even for non
web stuff and these days I take any new bits with a smile, especially
looking at the above long list of products that were once a common part
of the desktop database market, but are now just fond memories along
with Atari and Commodore computers.

--
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

From: Albert D. Kallal on
"Salad" <oil(a)vinegar.com> wrote in message
> Albert, what would you recommend in preparation for Access 2010 and
> publishing an app to the web?

Good question!

> Is it as simple as running a wizard, like the Database Splitter, and away
> one goes or is there some setup background we should be learning now?

ask yourself the following, have you ever upsized a couple of tables to SQL
server?

I mean if you're in an access application, it's only two or three mouse
clicks to push a table up to SQL server. In fact, it's extremely easy to
upsize a table to SQL server, and I often use the upsize option in place of
the export option, both of which are very easy to use to export a table up
into SQL server.

On the other hand, if you've never used SQL server, then trying to upsize
can be hard the 1st few times despite it being a few mouse clicks.

When I look at the questions people had in the private beta group, a good
number of them where kind of real basic beginner SharePoint related. For
example when you click the button in access to upsize the application, and
it asks you for Your SharePoint site name, well, did you create a Site on
SharePoint to hold the application? So, you better have created a site in
SharePoint BEFORE you publish. Now, anyone who used SharePoint will know
what a site is and how to create one. this would be the same as me telling
you that to type some text into word, you first have to create the word
document.

So, after I created a site, here is what a real url looks like:

https://my-officehosted.spobeta.com/personal/$82n510-b54foi6vmlep/Test
Access2/default.aspx

The above is a site I just created. When access asks for the site to publish
to, then you need to use the base url, which is:

https://my-officehosted.spobeta.com/personal/$82n510-b54foi6vmlep/TestAccess2

Note how I removed the default.aspx part. So lot of people were pasting in
the above 1st URL above and wondering why clicking on the publish command
button was not working.

Now the above was plain just obvious to me two years ago, and it was obvious
to me when I was using SharePoint with access 2003. And it was I obvious to
me when I was using SharePoint with access 2007. If you never published any
tables to SharePoint, then the above little issue might cost you a whole
afternoon to resolve because something that's completely obvious to me is
not going to be obvious to a beginner has never done this before. so for me,
the first time I have to do this, it was frustrating.

However, all those little frustrating issues were spread over time for me.

So, my first suggestion is to get some experience with SharePoint. However,
you don't Need any SharePoint experience or knowledge or learning of any
kind to build a web application with the access client.

All you want to do is play with the absolute most basic features of
SharePoint such as create a site (a workspace). Now put some word documents
in it, open some word documents, throw up a couple of files. You just need
the most basic experience here. It don't take long, in a couple of hours
you'll be moving around and playing with SharePoint. It's fun and it's not
hard, but if you have to learn all of the SharePoint stuff, at the very same
time you're learning a whole bunch of new stuff in access, then instead of
it being a pleasant experience, it can become quite a frustrating experience
for you.

And if you don't have access to SharePoint, then sign up for the free office
live small business, that's what I did to learn SharePoint since I did not
have SharePoint anywhere else.

This whole thing of learning how to do this stuff is not hard at all, but
it's like anything else you just have to sit down and spend a bit of time
playing with this stuff.

> Do you see some difficulty in the process of getting the app from the
> desktop to the web...iow, is it a simple click the button or one needs to
> learn a certain technology in order to make it work?

To be absolutely honest, no you don't have to really learn anything about
the server side technology at all. You build a web compatible application
in access, and have a SharePoint site, then it really is a whack the button
and then you watch your progress bar as a thing gets pushed up into the
cloud.

In fact, the hard parts are changing your mind as to how some things that
you've taken for granted for so long actually become a bit of a mental
challenge.

Here is a perfect example:

Have you ever sat down to think how your navigation for your website's going
to work? I mean basic navigation from form to form in the access client is
something that I never gave a second thought about in like 10 years. And,
worse I was working with FoxPro and other products before access and the
form navigation was done VERY much the same way. So in effect I really never
had to sit down and think about the layout and how navigation for this web
application going to work.

So, for the web you now have to change how this navigation and how you go
from when form to the next is going to work.

It would not make sense for you to click on one form, and then for each form
a new copy of the browser is launched. How could you possibly control what
the user does next? This is not really an access problem is as much as it's
sitting down and starting to scribble on paper how you are going to navigate
through your application now. It only took me the better part of an
afternoon falling half asleep on a couch thinking how I going to setup the
navigation. I had never made out the web navigation, so the 1st time was
extra mental effort. Now that I made one Application , then the next ones
will
be easy....

So, some very simple things like navigation from form to form has to be
given some thought.

You'll also have to approach your software designs differently. What you've
done for years that made a lot of sense to do it in a rich client, will not
translate over to a browser based system. So this change in mentality is
hard sometimes because we're used to designing and building and doing things
without thinking about what we're doing, because we're so good at it and we
been doing such and such way for so many years.

For example you're not going to write code in a form that traverses a record
set, and it's not even allowed. For some people this is difficult since that
what you done for many years.

If you don't have patience to learn new ways to do things, then you're in
for rough ride. For example we for years in this newsgroup had FoxPro people
coming in and asking how come there's no record numbers in access? The
answer was well we don't use them in access! However, people coming over
from clipper or FoxPro/dBase III were using record numbers for all of their
programming career. Now they are being told they can not use them anymore!
If
you insist on using record numbers in your software designs that worked in
FoxPro, that design would not work in access. if you can make mental
changes like that, then the web thing in access will be frustrating.

The web stuff is exactly the same, you must be willing to very much changed
how you've done some things.

In other words, the wizard is only a couple most clicks to whack a and
publish the application.

It is everything else you have to "change" in how you approach things.

At the end of the day the question becomes the following:

Are you willing to spend a few afternoons learning this new system
as opposed to spending a very long time to learn another web development
system? Those other systems means you need some type of SQL server, some new
database trigger and programming language, learning a web server and likely
some type of web scripting language?

Developing applications that run a browser takes a tremendous amount of
technology, and you tend to have to learn several different server systems
to make it all happen. This explains why so often that web applications are
developed by a team of two or three people. One person knows the browser
scripting, one knows the web stuff and another builds the application or
logic part.

Access gives you a huge shortcut in this regards, and will allow a single
person to develop a system with a database, tables, cool forms and reports.
And, you can do it without that team of developers.

All of these things are easy, but you really have to be willing to change
your mind as to how you do some things.

If you look closely at my video, you see that most all the forms I've turned
off the record navigation buttons for example.

For me, all this learning stuff is a blast, and it very much what I crave
and do.

I love to learn these things..and that helps me a lot here...

> Would an admin person be able to publish an app to the web or will it take
> a braniac with years of experience to do so?

Like I said, the publishing part is really trivial...it the mind change that
some people can't do well.

When you see the long list of functions that disappear when inside of a
form's code, you simply can't believe how the heck you going to write an
application. For example, in a form's code you don't have the date functions
like DateSerial(), but I write a booking application in which I deal with
dates and times in the applicaion, and I had little trouble doing this (once
I got over the shock of not having those features, then realizing there was
a completely different approach here that really worked well!).

From: Salad on
Albert D. Kallal wrote:
> "Salad" <oil(a)vinegar.com> wrote in message
>
>>Albert, what would you recommend in preparation for Access 2010 and
>>publishing an app to the web?
>>

> Good question!
>

>>Is it as simple as running a wizard, like the Database Splitter, and away
>>one goes or is there some setup background we should be learning now?
>

> ask yourself the following, have you ever upsized a couple of tables to SQL
> server?
>
> I mean if you're in an access application, it's only two or three mouse
> clicks to push a table up to SQL server. In fact, it's extremely easy to
> upsize a table to SQL server, and I often use the upsize option in place of
> the export option, both of which are very easy to use to export a table up
> into SQL server.
>
> On the other hand, if you've never used SQL server, then trying to upsize
> can be hard the 1st few times despite it being a few mouse clicks.
>
> When I look at the questions people had in the private beta group, a good
> number of them where kind of real basic beginner SharePoint related. For
> example when you click the button in access to upsize the application, and
> it asks you for Your SharePoint site name, well, did you create a Site on
> SharePoint to hold the application? So, you better have created a site in
> SharePoint BEFORE you publish. Now, anyone who used SharePoint will know
> what a site is and how to create one. this would be the same as me telling
> you that to type some text into word, you first have to create the word
> document.
>
> So, after I created a site, here is what a real url looks like:
>
> https://my-officehosted.spobeta.com/personal/$82n510-b54foi6vmlep/Test
> Access2/default.aspx
>
> The above is a site I just created. When access asks for the site to publish
> to, then you need to use the base url, which is:
>
> https://my-officehosted.spobeta.com/personal/$82n510-b54foi6vmlep/TestAccess2
>
> Note how I removed the default.aspx part. So lot of people were pasting in
> the above 1st URL above and wondering why clicking on the publish command
> button was not working.

In my reader, the first URL broke and wordwrapped at the word Test so I
copy pasted Access2/default.aspx to it. Then I noticed your second URL
was the same w/o the "default.aspx". Both sends me to a page to logon
with name and pw. I guess I need a valid logon first. Is this what you
were demo'ing? Is this at this point you'd recommend signing up for
officelive?

> Now the above was plain just obvious to me two years ago, and it was obvious
> to me when I was using SharePoint with access 2003. And it was I obvious to
> me when I was using SharePoint with access 2007. If you never published any
> tables to SharePoint, then the above little issue might cost you a whole
> afternoon to resolve because something that's completely obvious to me is
> not going to be obvious to a beginner has never done this before. so for me,
> the first time I have to do this, it was frustrating.
>
> However, all those little frustrating issues were spread over time for me.
>
> So, my first suggestion is to get some experience with SharePoint. However,
> you don't Need any SharePoint experience or knowledge or learning of any
> kind to build a web application with the access client.

That will be of benefit for MS in the adoption of the new technology.
And for us. If the learning curve was so steep, it'd be hard to get
people to adapt. We want things to get easier, not harder.

> All you want to do is play with the absolute most basic features of
> SharePoint such as create a site (a workspace). Now put some word documents
> in it, open some word documents, throw up a couple of files. You just need
> the most basic experience here. It don't take long, in a couple of hours
> you'll be moving around and playing with SharePoint. It's fun and it's not
> hard, but if you have to learn all of the SharePoint stuff, at the very same
> time you're learning a whole bunch of new stuff in access, then instead of
> it being a pleasant experience, it can become quite a frustrating experience
> for you.
>
> And if you don't have access to SharePoint, then sign up for the free office
> live small business, that's what I did to learn SharePoint since I did not
> have SharePoint anywhere else.
>
> This whole thing of learning how to do this stuff is not hard at all, but
> it's like anything else you just have to sit down and spend a bit of time
> playing with this stuff.

Great advice.

> [...]
> to make it all happen. This explains why so often that web applications are
> developed by a team of two or three people. One person knows the browser
> scripting, one knows the web stuff and another builds the application or
> logic part.
>
> Access gives you a huge shortcut in this regards, and will allow a single
> person to develop a system with a database, tables, cool forms and reports.
> And, you can do it without that team of developers.
>
> All of these things are easy, but you really have to be willing to change
> your mind as to how you do some things.
>
> If you look closely at my video, you see that most all the forms I've turned
> off the record navigation buttons for example.
>
> For me, all this learning stuff is a blast, and it very much what I crave
> and do.
>
> I love to learn these things..and that helps me a lot here...

It certainly sounds like it will be fun and a new challenge.

One couple of other question, if you have the time. Are all tables in
Sharepoint (for web/collaboration use) or can you have some tables in
Sharepoint and others local (like a personal table in the front end) and
others in a backend at the corporate site?

Do you have forms like Customer and CustomerWeb? If customer, it has
everything to work on the desktop, CustomerWeb for viewing on the web,
doesn't use DateSerial or other "missing" pieces? Or maybe two apps;
one for desktop use, the other for web? Or do you recommend a one-size
fits all approach?

>>Would an admin person be able to publish an app to the web or will it take
>>a braniac with years of experience to do so?
>

> Like I said, the publishing part is really trivial...it the mind change that
> some people can't do well.
>
> When you see the long list of functions that disappear when inside of a
> form's code, you simply can't believe how the heck you going to write an
> application. For example, in a form's code you don't have the date functions
> like DateSerial(), but I write a booking application in which I deal with
> dates and times in the applicaion, and I had little trouble doing this (once
> I got over the shock of not having those features, then realizing there was
> a completely different approach here that really worked well!).

Your response has me stoked! Thank you for the time you spent answering
my questions.
From: Roger on