From: David W. Fenton on
"James A. Fortune" <CDMAPoster(a)FortuneJames.com> wrote in
m:

> On Nov 12, 4:11 pm, "David W. Fenton"
> <XXXuse...(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:
>> "Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkal...(a)msn.com> wrote
>> innews:F5OKm.4853$dc2.3463(a)newsfe20.iad:
>>
>> > When you see the long list of functions that disappear when
>> > inside of a form's code, you simply can't believe how the heck
>> > you going to write an application.
>>
>> I assume you replace all of this stuff with macros, right?
>
> In:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.ms-access/msg/65f3941
> f7de8a50a
>
> David Fenton said:
>
>>CDMAPos...(a)FortuneJames.com wrote in

>>> Whew. I'm glad it was ludicrous. I thought VBA was history.
>>
>>Do you realize what a dis-service you've done to this newsgroup by
>>posting the things you've posted here? You've created a set of
>>rumors that someone searching Google Groups may encounter, which
>>may end up as misinformation that propagates far beyond this
>>particular thread.
>>
>>If you didn't have any actual proof for any of your assertions,
>>then you shouldn't have made such ridiculous statements.
>>
>>I'm beginning to recall now why I had killfiled your previous
>>email address. I haven't yet decided if I'll be plonking this one,
>>too.
>
> In:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.ms-access/msg/d1ad8db
> 081df7fdd
>
> I quoted from Jeffrey Richter:
>
> ...Visual Basic .NET (which now subsumes Visual Basic Scripting
> Edition, or VBScript, and Visual Basic for Applications, or
> VBA)...
>

> so perhaps the idea is not as ludicrous now as it was back then.

But VBA is not being replaced. You won't have to use macros except
if you're building Sharepoint apps.

No doubt, many, many people won't understand that obvious
distinction and will read this as "VBA is dead." But that's only
because they have less than half the brains God promised a ham
sandwich.

> With
> the benefit of hindsight, I see that the parts where I guessed
> incorrectly were based on my lack of understanding about how
> Access handles code internally. I also see that some of my other
> guesses weren't so bad.

Nothing you said was correct.

VBA is not being replaced.

Macros are being improved to do more things and do them much better
than they used to.

I have no doubt that one day VBA *will* be replaced, but it will
likely be done in the same way that Access Basic was replaced, in a
manner that converts very easily and is very similar to the old way
(something based on VB.NET is the obvious path, though that's a much
bigger difference than between Access Basic and VBA).

Your claim is like the person who says it's going to rain on
Wednesday, and when it doesn't and then rains on Thursday says "See!
I was right, I just got some of the details wrong!"

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: James A. Fortune on
On Nov 13, 2:17 pm, "David W. Fenton" <XXXuse...(a)dfenton.com.invalid>
wrote:
> "James A. Fortune" <CDMAPos...(a)FortuneJames.com> wrote innews:34adb3fe-48c9-43ae-b07e-a80155c3cc58(a)g27g2000yqn.googlegroups.co
> m:
>

> > On Nov 12, 4:11 pm, "David W. Fenton"
> > <XXXuse...(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:
> >> "Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkal...(a)msn.com> wrote
> >> innews:F5OKm.4853$dc2.3463(a)newsfe20.iad:

> >> I assume you replace all of this stuff with macros, right?
>
> > In:
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.ms-access/msg/65f3941
> > f7de8a50a
>
> > David Fenton said:
>
> >>CDMAPos...(a)FortuneJames.com wrote in

> >>Do you realize what a dis-service you've done to this newsgroup by
> >>posting the things you've posted here? You've created a set of
> >>rumors that someone searching Google Groups may encounter, which
> >>may end up as misinformation that propagates far beyond this
> >>particular thread.
>
> >>If you didn't have any actual proof for any of your assertions,
> >>then you shouldn't have made such ridiculous statements.
>
> >>I'm beginning to recall now why I had killfiled your previous
> >>email address. I haven't yet decided if I'll be plonking this one,
> >>too.
>
> > In:
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.ms-access/msg/d1ad8db
> > 081df7fdd
>
> > I quoted from Jeffrey Richter:
>
> > ...Visual Basic .NET (which now subsumes Visual Basic Scripting
> > Edition, or VBScript, and Visual Basic for Applications, or
> > VBA)...
>
> > so perhaps the idea is not as ludicrous now as it was back then.
>
> But VBA is not being replaced. You won't have to use macros except
> if you're building Sharepoint apps.
>
> No doubt, many, many people won't understand that obvious
> distinction and will read this as "VBA is dead." But that's only
> because they have less than half the brains God promised a ham
> sandwich.
>
> > With
> > the benefit of hindsight, I see that the parts where I guessed
> > incorrectly were based on my lack of understanding about how
> > Access handles code internally. I also see that some of my other
> > guesses weren't so bad.
>
> Nothing you said was correct.
>
> VBA is not being replaced.
>
> Macros are being improved to do more things and do them much better
> than they used to.
>
> I have no doubt that one day VBA *will* be replaced, but it will
> likely be done in the same way that Access Basic was replaced, in a
> manner that converts very easily and is very similar to the old way
> (something based on VB.NET is the obvious path, though that's a much
> bigger difference than between Access Basic and VBA).
>
> Your claim is like the person who says it's going to rain on
> Wednesday, and when it doesn't and then rains on Thursday says "See!
> I was right, I just got some of the details wrong!"

At least I saw the storm coming :-).

I think the quote from Jeffrey Richter makes it clear that if
Microsoft could have gotten away with eliminating VBA for Access 2007,
they would have. Right then -- not at some point in the future. I
think the existence of such a plan was likely and that it got
temporarily abandoned. I have no doubt that Microsoft would love us
to move to .NET. What I saw at the time was that the direction
Microsoft was headed was at odds with the existence of VBA. Like a
politician, they decided to spread out the implementation time to make
it more gradual. VBA may not be dead, but its heyday is over. My
guesses were not as far-fetched as you imagined. I think your faith
in VBA wasn't much better than my guesses.

From: Salad on
Albert D. Kallal wrote:

> "Salad" <oil(a)vinegar.com> wrote in message
>

>>Thanks for answering my questions. I got myself an OfficeLive account.
>>Seems most of the setup work is done, very straightforward. Now I need to
>>wait for Access 2010.
>

> Actually, why wait? Note that for the free SharePoint stuff, you need office
> live small
> business, office live does not have the access stuff.
>
> So, no need to wait, start reading up on SharePoint now...
>
> If you have access 2003, or better access 2007, then start playing with the
> SharePoint stuff now. That is the whole suggesting here. Simply try upsizing
> some small tables from access to that SharePoint site. See how it all works.
> Try the "off line mode"...and try the on-line mode for 2007. So, gain some
> experience to upsize access 2007 tables to SharePoint. The wizard and steps
> are very much the same for publish in 2010 as they are for up-sizing tables
> in 2007. So, then when you get your hands on a2010, then all that time spent
> learning how to do this in a2007 will prepare you for a2010.
>
> Then, you be ready without having two learning curves occurring at the same
> time. It will be less then 5 minutes affair of your time to start publishing
> applications...

Hi Albert. A2003. I logged into OfficeLive, got into my workspace
Workbook1 to get the URL, then I opened a database with table Junk and
attempted to export to it to my OfficeLive workspace. I got an error
"The site you specified does not support importing data from a Microsoft
Access database. The site must be running Windows Sharepoint from
Microsoft." I suppose I am doing something wrong. Any hints or ideas?

Also, in Access I might have a hyperlink to a document...something like
"Press Me!#C:\Testdoc.doc". Can one store hyperlinks to Sharepoint docs
like that? If so, how does one "extract" or know the url to save the
doc to or where the docs are located?

Is a Sharepoint link determined using the .Connect property?

From: Albert D. Kallal on
"Salad" <oil(a)vinegar.com> wrote in message news:7smdnZDD9->

> Hi Albert. A2003. I logged into OfficeLive

You need to use office live small business, office live does not have
ms-access support.

Here is a discussion and screen shots:

http://www.utteraccess.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=97&Number=1903007&Zf=&Zw=&Zg=0&Zl=a&Main=1886252&Search=true&where=&Zu=120391&Zd=l&Zn=&Zt=bd&Zs=&Zy=#Post1903007&Zp=

> Also, in Access I might have a hyperlink to a document...something like
> "Press Me!#C:\Testdoc.doc". Can one store hyperlinks to Sharepoint docs
> like that?

I as a rule I avoided hyperlink fields. However, yes, for SharePoint docs,
yes, you can store the docs on the server and use a web URL.

Even better is that for access 2010, any attachments you store (internal to
access) when up-sized to SharePoint actually results in a separate URL for
each attachment. Thus clicking on that attachment is like clicking on a pdf,
or word doc on a web site.

> If so, how does one "extract" or know the url to save the doc to or where
> the docs are located?

Well, if you place the document on SharePoint, then you see the URL, or can
right-click and copy the shortcut like you can for any document with a link
to it on a web site...it not any different...

--
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

From: David W. Fenton on
:
> On Nov 13, 2:17 pm, "David W. Fenton"
> <XXXuse...(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:
>> "James A. Fortune" <CDMAPos...(a)FortuneJames.com> wrote
>> innews:34adb3fe-48c9-43ae-b07e-a80155c3cc58(a)g27g2000yqn.googlegrou
>> ps.co m:

>> > In:
>>
>> >http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.ms-access/msg/d1ad8
>> >db
>> > 081df7fdd
>>
>> > I quoted from Jeffrey Richter:
>>
>> > ...Visual Basic .NET (which now subsumes Visual Basic Scripting
>> > Edition, or VBScript, and Visual Basic for Applications, or
>> > VBA)...
>>
>> > so perhaps the idea is not as ludicrous now as it was back
>> > then.
>>
>> But VBA is not being replaced. You won't have to use macros
>> except if you're building Sharepoint apps.
>>
>> No doubt, many, many people won't understand that obvious
>> distinction and will read this as "VBA is dead." But that's only
>> because they have less than half the brains God promised a ham
>> sandwich.
>>
>> > With
>> > the benefit of hindsight, I see that the parts where I guessed
>> > incorrectly were based on my lack of understanding about how
>> > Access handles code internally. I also see that some of my
>> > other guesses weren't so bad.
>>
>> Nothing you said was correct.
>>
>> VBA is not being replaced.
>>
>> Macros are being improved to do more things and do them much
>> better than they used to.
>>
>> I have no doubt that one day VBA *will* be replaced, but it will
>> likely be done in the same way that Access Basic was replaced, in
>> a manner that converts very easily and is very similar to the old
>> way (something based on VB.NET is the obvious path, though that's
>> a much bigger difference than between Access Basic and VBA).
>>
>> Your claim is like the person who says it's going to rain on
>> Wednesday, and when it doesn't and then rains on Thursday says
>> "See! I was right, I just got some of the details wrong!"
>
> At least I saw the storm coming :-).
>
> I think the quote from Jeffrey Richter makes it clear that if
> Microsoft could have gotten away with eliminating VBA for Access
> 2007, they would have.

The quote is from a book that was published in 2002. This predates
MS's move to remove VBA from Excel for Mac. You *do* not what the
upshot of *that* was, don't you?

You're using an old quote from a period when things in regard to
..NET were much more theoretical than they are now, and that quote
seems to me to be one of *wishing* something rather than stating a
fact.

> Right then -- not at some point in the future. I
> think the existence of such a plan was likely and that it got
> temporarily abandoned.

I think you've really got the time frame out of whack. A book with a
publication date of 2002 was published in 2001. Thus, its content
predates not just A2007, but A2002 and A2003. Certainly 2002 and
2003 were surely largely in the can already or feature-complete in
terms of planning, but the differences between 2003 and 2007 are not
in regard to VBA integration, so there's absolutely no evidence of
abandonment of VBA.

Of course, you could see embedded macros as evidence of that, but I
would say that those are there as part of the integration with
Sharepoint, which seems much more important to Microsoft than
killing VBA in Access. You might see the whole Sharepoint thing as a
path to abandoning desktop Access, but I don't think that's likely
to happen at all. It's conceivable for desktop Access to consist
entirely of the web forms/reports and have only macros and embedded
macros and no VBA, but I just don't see that as very likely, either,
since by doing that, they would basically have re-invented Filemaker
Pro, along with almost all the weaknesses of FM (insufficiently
extensible scripting being the primary lack).

Why would they do that?

More likely is replacement of VBA with some for of VB.NET, seems to
me, and that will likely be highly compatible (though not without
major feature sacrifices along the way, no doubt).

> I have no doubt that Microsoft would love us
> to move to .NET. What I saw at the time was that the direction
> Microsoft was headed was at odds with the existence of VBA. Like
> a politician, they decided to spread out the implementation time
> to make it more gradual. VBA may not be dead, but its heyday is
> over. My guesses were not as far-fetched as you imagined. I
> think your faith in VBA wasn't much better than my guesses.

Hmm. You said VBA was on the way out, but it's still there, with
more features than it had at the time of the quote you base this on.
It's fully supported.

You have to make the argument that something entirely unexpected,
the web integration with Sharepoint, is the reason VBA is on the way
out. Well, blind squirrels and stopped clocks and all that, but we
don't even know that is the case. I strongly doubt that MS will
eliminate a scripting language entirely in favor of macros. The
question is what that language will be. I am not so deluded to think
that it will always be VBA, but what I am certain of is that if MS
follows its historical path, whatever scripting platform they
replace VBA with will either be highly compatible, or it will have a
transparent and reliable transition path. Thus, VBA won't be
replaced with Javascript. It might be replaced with VBScript, but
VBScript *is* VB, so that would be no problem whatsoever.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/