From: accessnote on
Hi, i have a on going database for my employees and i would like to add
another column employee ID number. On the existing table the column employee
ID is there but no number associated to the employee. I want to import from
excel. the excel file has all employees name and employee number. EE name
is the primary key and i only want to import the EE ID number only, the rest
of the column in the table leave as is. can someone help me with this?

thanks

From: John W. Vinson on
On Tue, 18 May 2010 00:44:55 GMT, "accessnote" <u60148(a)uwe> wrote:

>Hi, i have a on going database for my employees and i would like to add
>another column employee ID number. On the existing table the column employee
>ID is there but no number associated to the employee. I want to import from
>excel. the excel file has all employees name and employee number. EE name
>is the primary key and i only want to import the EE ID number only, the rest
>of the column in the table leave as is. can someone help me with this?
>
>thanks

If (and it's a big if, names aren't unique) the name is in fact unique - you
do not have any two employees who happen to have the same name - then an
Update query will do the job. Create a query joining your table to the (linked
or imported) spreadsheet by name. Change the query to an Update query, and
update the ID to

=[exceltablename].[ID]

using the actual name of the linked Excel data and fieldname.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]