From: MattK on
Looking for some advise for an Accounting Office that needs to replace
12 aging pc's. Here is what they are currently running:

SBS2008 Standard (OEM) on
Dell PE2950 (almost 2 years old)
8GB Ram
O/S Mirrored
Data on Raid 5

12 Windows XP (OEM) Workstations (7 years old) w/dual monitors and
office standard 2003 (OEM)
All of the workstations have some type of printer attached via either
usb or parallel

Besides the standard office apps they run the VERY processor intensive
Creative Solutions Software Suite (Thomson/Reutors or what ever they
are called today)

The client feels that a thin client would be the way to go and just
have the thin clients attach to his current server which can't really
be done as it sits but they want a full scope type of answer so that
is what i am trying to figure out.

Here is what i am trying to figure out:

Is this a client who is a prime canidate for virtualization? Is it
possible to virtualize the SBS and then put a TS on the same box and
have the thin clients connect to the TS? I would assume they would
have to buy a new SBS License since the OEM version won't allow
virtulization. Is it not a good idea to put a Terminal server on a
virtualized box. He only has 12 client pc's now but that could go up
to about 20. Should we just buy a separate server, create the TS on
that then have the clients connect to that. Cost always seems to be a
factor with this client so I just can't believe that it would be
cheaper to create this Terminal Server than to just replace the
workstations. There are just a lot of factors to take into
consideration when virtualizing something like this and its always
that legacy type software or hardware that will throw a major curve
ball into the project...

Any suggestions would be appreciate.

Matt
From: Susan Bradley on
Spec out the price tag for that CS version that supports TS as I recall
it's extra money.

I'd bump that SBS box up to more ram to start with.

From: Anteaus on
Firstly, analyze the thinking behind thin-client working. Is it to avoid
roaming -profile issues whilst providing userized logons, or to place the
apps on a more powerful computer? Or, what?

Also, how many thin clients would be online at once? If twelve, then that
would need a server of gargantuan power to equal the performance of twelve
reasonable-spec desktops.

If you do want to go the thin client route, two roadmaps suggest themselves,
a TS server, or virtual machines, which could be on a Windows 2008 server, or
VMWare on Linux, or perhaps as ESXi.

The licensing costs and performance issues of each route need to be
carefully evaluated. SBS is not really suited to either approach, being far
too 'fat' a platform to make a good host. You want a lean, mean machine with
plenty RAM and no unnecessary services as the host. For a dozen VMs a 64-bit
host is more-or-less essential, as a 32-bit host could not provide enough
RAM.

My feelings would be to stick with the twelve desktops and investigate
whether the existing system has performance bottlenecks which could be
eliminated.

Seven years is a good service life for desktops, so they really need
replacing anyway. PSUs, fans, CD/DVD drives etc will be starting to wear out.
To keep costs down you could retain the monitors but replace the system units.

If running demanding apps on non-thin clients, a 64-bit OS might be an
advantage (Allows more than 4GB RAM)

BTW in the long term I would look at a small number of business-grade
Ethernet-equipped laser printers as a more reliable, cheaper and
better-quality alternative to personal printing. Set workstations to print
direct to their IP addresses, not via a server share.