From: Tom on
Dell SC420 Raided 250GB drives (original)
Win2K3 SBS with all MS updates
RAID hardware is on the motherboard, I think.

I need to increase the internal storage on the Dell SC420 to a 1TB or higher
drive. Can I remove one (1) of the RAIDED 250GB SATA drives and then replace
it with a 1TB SATA drive?
What do I need to do? Format the new drive once I reboot and how do I
select this is Computer Management? I presume right-click and format the
unformatted drive. Will the copy process to the 1TB SATA drive be automatic
then? Once THIS drive is completely copied to I can replace the other 250GB
drive that next weekend and go through the same steps?
TIA!!
From: Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] on
The procedure differs based on the type of RAID. RAID1 or RAID5? How many
drives?

If RAID1, the process is to remove one of the drives using the management
console or the firmware console, replace the dirive and re mirror. the new
mirror will still be 250GB, but you will have space left over to use as you
see fit.

If you need all one large volume, backup, remove both drives, replace with
2 larger drives, mirror them, and restore from backup.

Or, and my preference, just add the two new drives as the next drive letter,
and use them as the second drive, also RAID1.

-Larry
-Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit.
-Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com

> Dell SC420 Raided 250GB drives (original)
> Win2K3 SBS with all MS updates
> RAID hardware is on the motherboard, I think.
> I need to increase the internal storage on the Dell SC420 to a 1TB or
> higher
> drive. Can I remove one (1) of the RAIDED 250GB SATA drives and then
> replace
> it with a 1TB SATA drive?
> What do I need to do? Format the new drive once I reboot and how do I
> select this is Computer Management? I presume right-click and format
> the
> unformatted drive. Will the copy process to the 1TB SATA drive be
> automatic
> then? Once THIS drive is completely copied to I can replace the other
> 250GB
> drive that next weekend and go through the same steps?
> TIA!!

Pages: 1
Prev: remote desktop
Next: Accounting Office Advise