From: hct on
I have a company I just took over that has three of the owners using
remote desktop to login remotely to there office computers.. There is
an public IP address that is one to one natted to a port and then each
machine has a static ip on the inside of the network.. This was
supposedly done to accomodate dual monitors at home becasue rww could
not do dual monitors and also was faster than a VPN...
They login using the ip address and login with ther computer
credentials...

Is there a way to make this more secure...?

This is a SBS 2003 network
Thanks for your input

From: Charlie Russel-MVP on
I can think of several things I don't like about this, but given you
inherited it, and it's meeting their needs for the moment, I'd suggest two
additions. I'd add AuthAnvil (www.scorpionsoft.com) or another form of Two
Factor Authentication(TFA). I'd also restrict the port forwarding to only be
allowed from explicit IP addresses (those of the home machines they're
logging in from.) The IP address restrictions will need to be a range unless
they have a static IP address on their home machines.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/Russel