From: whygee on
Gabor wrote:
> Let's hope they are shipping product before 1.5 GHz becomes
> the industry norm.

hope is fine, you know...

and I've heard that the latest X&A parts
do push the integration, density and capacity,
but not speed, due to power consumption issues.
so i'm a bit hopeful.

Anyway, if they come too late, they will have
burnt so much money that they will simply close.
Or be bought by X or A...

hurry up !

yg
--
http://ygdes.com / http://yasep.org
From: maurizio.tranchero on
I've sent them an email to have datasheets and further information,
but they asked for an non-disclosure agreedment...

The only thing I know is they have collaboration with space and
defence people, but I do not think it would be easy for "normal"
designer to access their products.

mt
From: Jonathan Bromley on
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 00:35:17 -0800 (PST), maurizio.tranchero wrote:

>I've sent them an email to have datasheets and further information,
>but they asked for an non-disclosure agreedment...
>
>The only thing I know is they have collaboration with space and
>defence people, but I do not think it would be easy for "normal"
>designer to access their products.

The last time I asked, about a year ago, they had distribution
channels and were prepared to sell a development kit - but they
wanted a lot of money for it (around $15k IIRC).

That sounds brutal, but in reality it's a sensible way for an
early-stage startup to restrict their customer base to a few
large, serious customers whom they can then support properly.
They probably have only a tiny handful of applications people,
and having a large number of small early-adopter customers
would hopelessly stretch their resources.

I would be rather surprised if the products ever appear on
the wider market. It's much more likely, as someone else
said, that they are aiming to get testimonials from some
big-name early adopter customers, and then sell out to
one of the mainstream FPGA vendors - who would, presumably,
then merge the technology into some future product family.
--
Jonathan Bromley
From: untergangsprophet on
On 27 Jan., 10:39, Jonathan Bromley <jonathan.brom...(a)MYCOMPANY.com>
wrote:
> I would be rather surprised if the products ever appear on
> the wider market.  It's much more likely, as someone else
> said, that they are aiming to get testimonials from some
> big-name early adopter customers, and then sell out to
> one of the mainstream FPGA vendors - who would, presumably,
> then merge the technology into some future product family.

Quite unusual for big, established Companies to drive adoption of
radical new technology.
From: Jonathan Bromley on
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 04:55:21 -0800 (PST), untergangsprophet wrote:

>Quite unusual for big, established Companies to drive adoption of
>radical new technology.

Depends what you mean by "drive". Pretty much every big
hi-tech company I know about is very active in assessing
and evaluating a range of novel products and technologies,
and evaluations of that kind are extremely important to
startups for both technical feedback and marketing kudos.

However, it is certainly true that big companies are not
always the quickest to incorporate available new technology
in their products. Sometimes that's shrewd understanding
of a conservative customer base, sometimes it's just
corporate inertia.

Anyway, "radical" new technology is rarely reliable and
rarely meets the expectations put on it by enthusiasts.
It's often wise to wait until the "radical" epithet is
no longer applicable.
--
Jonathan Bromley