From: Rob Giordano [MS MVP] on
Dunno what they'll say 5 years from now...but why don't you just install it
now and see if it works? Then next year you'll probably be ok for a
reinstall as Ron indicates.

After all you may not want to end up with a Chinese version of FP and not be
able to use it at all...stranger have things happened with stuff bought on
eBay.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rob Giordano

From: Ronx on
In five years from now you may not be able to install FrontPage at all -
never mind activate it.

Take FrontPage 98 for example:
RTM in late 1997
Required a server - a cut down version of IIS4 was supplied with the
program.
Worked on Windows 95 and Windows 98 without problems.
Two years later - Windows ME. Could not install the server without hacks.
2002 - less than five years after RTM, and _still_supported_by_Microsoft_ -
could not install a server on Windows XP Home, making the program almost
unusable on that platform.

"or do they somehow make it so you don't have to activate it?" No one can
change the CD you are using, and the CD is coded for activation. Whether
the activation servers for FrontPage (or any other program for that matter)
will exist in 5 years from now is not something I can answer.
--
Ron Symonds
Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp

"rulerrock" <rulerrock(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ok- now I'm confused about the activation process failing becasue of "Out
> of
> Support"- let's say in 5 years just to make it clear- will you be able to
> call Microsoft to activate? or do they somehow make it so you don't have
> activate it? So does it depend somehow on which O/S you have?
>
> "Ronx" wrote:
>
>> You probably will not have to use the telephone option next year since
>> on-line re-activations are normally allowed every 12 months - different
>> time period for Operating Systems. Unless, that is, the activation
>> process
>> fails due to old age or Out of Support. I cannot help on that.
>> I have re-activated my own copy of FP2003 about 5 times using the on-line
>> system without problems.
>> --
>> Ron Symonds
>> Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
>>
>> Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
>>

>> "rulerrock" <rulerrock(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > well, I'm not a fan of expression web since I actually bought that
>> > first
>> > and
>> > tried to install/run it (on a different computer) and it loaded OK, but
>> > when
>> > I tried to run it, I got the vague "you have a problem" error but no
>> > way
>> > of
>> > fixing it. I installed it (completely) again (which took hours) and
>> > same
>> > error- so I took back to store.
>> > So- I decided to go back to Frontpage since I know it and I generally
>> > don't
>> > need help with it (from anybody)- however, I didn't realize there would
>> > be
>> > problem with activation key. So, back to the original question- since I
>> > bought it on Ebay, and it was activated by somepbody else already, can
>> > use
>> > the telephone activation and "delete" the old activation on the Ebay
>> > seller's
>> > computer and get 2 new one for my computers. I just want to make sure I
>> > won't
>> > have a problem next year when I actually want to activate it on a new
>> > piece
>> > of hardware.

>> .

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: FTP
Next: Frontape 2003 activation - in 2011