From: Bruce on
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 23:05:19 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>http://www.modbee.com/2010/06/21/1219995/ansel-adams-print-sells-for-722k.html

A bargain at $722. View it for free here:

http://historyofourworld.wordpress.com/2009/10/13/ansel-adams/
From: David Ruether on

> http://www.modbee.com/2010/06/21/1219995/ansel-adams-print-sells-for-722k.html
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

8^), but I know you meant "722k"...;-)
A horror story: on a trip through the west in the 1970s, we stopped
at the Adams studio in Yosemite. Available were various mounted
8x10 signed Adams prints. These were made by assistants, but, they
*were* signed by Adams... The only available space for storage in
the car was under everything in the back rear window shelf, since
there were three of us, and we were tent-camping. I was not sure
that any photo would travel very well there and my money was also
very limited, so I bought only one (at $25, as in, $25!!! ;-). While the
photos available were not among Adam's most famous, but still...;-)
A few years later, I sold that photo for $850(!). Much more recently,
one was appraised on "Antiques Roadshow" for $3,000(!!!). Sigh!
Buying a bunch of those would have done better than most good
stocks.
OK, here is a sad one (maybe...). A friend has a friend who owns
a very large print of the famous "Sunrise Hernandez". Rather than
properly framing it, he attached it to a wall in his house with wallpaper
paste! U G H ! ! ! 8^(
--DR

From: Mike Russell on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:19:05 -0400, David Ruether wrote:

> OK, here is a sad one (maybe...). A friend has a friend who owns
> a very large print of the famous "Sunrise Hernandez". Rather than
> properly framing it, he attached it to a wall in his house with wallpaper
> paste! U G H ! ! ! 8^(

Was it a gelatin print? If so, get a skilsaw and trade your FOAF for some
new wallboard. OTOH, many of Adam's prints were made available as posters
rather than prints. My local bank has two very large Adams prints on the
wall - a reason for my staying there years after they kept adding more and
more fees.
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com
From: David Ruether on

"Mike Russell" <groupsRE(a)MOVEcurvemeister.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:19:05 -0400, David Ruether wrote:

>> OK, here is a sad one (maybe...). A friend has a friend who owns
>> a very large print of the famous "Sunrise Hernandez". Rather than
>> properly framing it, he attached it to a wall in his house with wallpaper
>> paste! U G H ! ! ! 8^(

> Was it a gelatin print? If so, get a skilsaw and trade your FOAF for some
> new wallboard. OTOH, many of Adam's prints were made available as posters
> rather than prints. My local bank has two very large Adams prints on the
> wall - a reason for my staying there years after they kept adding more and
> more fees.
> --
> Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com

It was a silver-gelatin print - but it is likely that the photo would
span more than one sheet of wallboard (and even more likely that
it is mounted on plaster). Perhaps a good restorer could remove it...
I don't remember the particulars, but I seem to remember that the
print had some direct relationship with Adams himself.
--DR

From: Peter on
"David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>
>> http://www.modbee.com/2010/06/21/1219995/ansel-adams-print-sells-for-722k.html
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Savageduck
>
> 8^), but I know you meant "722k"...;-)
> A horror story: on a trip through the west in the 1970s, we stopped
> at the Adams studio in Yosemite. Available were various mounted
> 8x10 signed Adams prints. These were made by assistants, but, they
> *were* signed by Adams... The only available space for storage in
> the car was under everything in the back rear window shelf, since
> there were three of us, and we were tent-camping. I was not sure
> that any photo would travel very well there and my money was also
> very limited, so I bought only one (at $25, as in, $25!!! ;-). While the
> photos available were not among Adam's most famous, but still...;-)
> A few years later, I sold that photo for $850(!). Much more recently,
> one was appraised on "Antiques Roadshow" for $3,000(!!!). Sigh!
> Buying a bunch of those would have done better than most good
> stocks.
> OK, here is a sad one (maybe...). A friend has a friend who owns
> a very large print of the famous "Sunrise Hernandez". Rather than
> properly framing it, he attached it to a wall in his house with wallpaper
> paste! U G H ! ! ! 8^(

Understandable: the latest shootin topic was wallpaper.

--
Peter

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2