Prev: calculate
Next: scaning
From: Al Bayer on
I would like to do some what-if analysis on my project schedule and am not
sure how I can easily add say 30% additional work across the board on my
project to show some best and worse case scenarios. Would I have to use a
PERT chart to do this sort of filter?
From: JulieS on
Hello Al,

PERT analysis in project 2003 is based upon duration, not work.
While work and duration are related through assignments, if you
have changed the task type from the default of fixed units,
adjusting duration will not necessarily change work.

The PERT analysis tools are available on the PERT Analysis
toolbar. Using the optimistic, pessimistic, and most likely
durations and then calculating the PERT should give you a
starting point.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

From: Andrew Lavinsky on
There's a couple ways to do it. The easiest way would be to just save a
different version of your file. I'd then set the tasks to Fixed Units (assuming
you have resources assigned already), copy the Work column into Excel, add
30%, then paste it back into the file, and observe the havoc it wreaks on
your durations - or some variation thereof.

PERT works for Duration estimates, but will be hard to get to work with Work
estimates.

Or you could go out and get a third part Risk Management tool - but that
may be overkill.

- Andrew Lavinsky
Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

> I would like to do some what-if analysis on my project schedule and am
> not sure how I can easily add say 30% additional work across the board
> on my project to show some best and worse case scenarios. Would I
> have to use a PERT chart to do this sort of filter?

Pages: 1
Prev: calculate
Next: scaning