From: ellebelle on
i have a very large project file. it is significantly faster when i turn the
calculation off (under options). however, sometimes it would be good to
calculate a single selected row/s only instead of having to calculate the
entire project. is this possible?
From: Rob Schneider on
Sorry, it's all or nothing.

I'm surprised you really notice the computation time. It must be really
big or you have a slow computer.

With such a big and clearly important file, you are taking measures to
make backups of versions at frequent intervals, I hope.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

From: Andrew Lavinsky on
To add to Rob's point, you could perhaps consider a macro to calculate a
single line. In fact, to speed things up, you may want to consider moving a
number of your custom field calculations to a macro - thus allowing you to
use automatic calculations for some fields but run the macro for specific
batches of fields.

From: ellebelle on
i have an incredibly fast compueter but i am runnning a schedule for 800
people and many, many thousands of tasks. i clear out my historical stuff
regularly.

i think the macro advice is the way forward. i will see if i can find
something on the net. pls let me know if you see something that could work. i
am no coder.

thanks!

From: Rob Schneider on
How many tasks? how big is the file? How long does it take to
recompute? "Many thousand" doesn't sound that big, but I have no clue
what "many" means. If it's small enough for you to handle the updating
and tracking, then I would presume it not that big.

Has the file become corrupted?

See
http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm#Handling_project_file_corruption_and/or_bloat

--rms