From: John John - MVP on
No, only the Owner and System have permissions on private folders, they
are off limit for all other users, including Administrators! To access
the files you have to seize ownership of the folders under guise of the
System account. Also, this "Make this Folder Private" option is only
available when Simple File Sharing is turned on, but the folder will
remain private as long as it isn't changed again, disabling Simple File
Sharing does not change the private status of the folder.

If you are using XP Pro disable Simple File Sharing and take a look at
and make note of the permissions on one of your folders in your profile
directory. Then enable simplified file sharing and make the folder
private. Then disable Simple File Sharing again (to access the Security
Tab) and take another look at the permissions. To remove the "private"
status enable SFS again. You can also use the CACLS command to verify
the permissions, for XP Home this is the easiest way, run calcs on the
folder then make the folder private and run the cacls command again and
compare the results, typically it will be like this:

Without Private folder:

C:\>cacls "C:\Documents and Settings\Jean-Guy"
C:\Documents and Settings\Jean-Guy NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
JGZ-HOME\Jean-Guy:F
JGZ-HOME\Jean-Guy:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
BUILTIN\Administrators:F
BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(IO)F

Private folder enabled:

C:\>cacls "C:\Documents and Settings\Jean-Guy"
C:\Documents and Settings\Jean-Guy NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
JGZ-HOME\Jean-Guy:F
JGZ-HOME\Jean-Guy:(OI)(CI)(IO)F

Larry will have to rely on a different solution to protect his files
while making them available on the other Windows installation.

See here for more information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

John

From: Tim Meddick on
John, I keep telling you, the OP has MANUALLY REPLACED the "Administrators"
group in his WinXP installation, and granted it full-access for those
"private" folders!!

But STILL cannot access them with an user belonging to the "Administrators"
group in Win7!

==

From: Larry Lindstrom on
On 6/9/2010 4:05 PM, Tim Meddick wrote:
> John, I keep telling you, the OP has MANUALLY REPLACED the
> "Administrators" group in his WinXP installation, and granted it
> full-access for those "private" folders!!
>
> But STILL cannot access them with an user belonging to the
> "Administrators" group in Win7!
>
> ==
>
> Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)
>

> "John John - MVP" <audetweld(a)nbnot.nb.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> No, only the Owner and System have permissions on private folders,

Thanks Again Tim and John:

First, perhaps I have my nomenclature wrong. Is "private" some
special flag or designation of a particular kind of file or folder?

Other people will occasionally be using this PC. I'd like to have
some files that only I can read or modify. I'd like these available
only "larryl" on either XP or Win7. This is the meaning I attach to the
word "Private".

I will be the only administrator of this PC, so allowing only
"administrators" access should be safe enough. I'm curious as to why I
can't do the same with "larryl" when accompanied with a location that
specifies the Win7 boot of this machine.

I'll be posting the screen shots in another post.

Thanks
Larry
From: John John - MVP on
He also needs to replace the inheritance flag on all the files and
folders within the folder hierarchy, he has to propagate and replace
permissions entries on all child objects.

John

From: Tim Meddick on
Agreed...

==