From: talktalknews on
Hi all. Any help gratefully received. Apologies for the length of this
message but want to try and give as much info as is reasonable. For some
months I have a blank opening page on XP/Help and Support/System Restore and
cannot effect a restore or create my own restore point therefore directly.
However in the Sys Vol folder all restore points are still being auto
created by XP. I have followed much advice from various sources such as MS
MVP's and MS and other websites to no avail. The list is exhaustive and
would create complaints if I posted the full list here which would stretch
to several 'pages'. However the frequent common advice I have been kindly
given is shown below all of which have not achieved anything. However I have
now discovered new blank pages which may help diagnose the problem. I wanted
to set up a home network using XP/Control Panel/Network Setup Wizard. On one
of the early screens it asks what set up you have in respect of
modem/router/laptop/desktop etc and invites you to click a link for a
diagram. None of the diagrams show they are just more blank pages.

The common suggestions I have received are:-
Run regsvr32 jscript.dll (reg success) - Run regsvr32 vbscript.dll(reg
success) - uninstall/reinstall IE7 - Uninstall MS Update 896688 (I do not
have it) - Boot in safe mode to access system restore - Go to Last Known
Good Config - Run Net start (shows Sys Restore running) - Run sfc /scannow
(does not show any problems) - Run chkdsk /f (all ok) -
I had XP installed by the system vendor and updated to SP2 myself directly
from the MS website. I have also tried reinstalling Sys Restore via Run
c:\windows\inf but it asks for the CD and cannot find the files required. I
have found the files in on my PC in windows/system32 and elsewhere and
directed the search there but it just says it cannot load the files. I have
also tried using the original backup CD supplied by the system vendor but it
fails saying my current setup is newer than that on the CD and does not
allow me to proceed.

I CAN access sys restore by going directly from IE with the address line of
res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe/start.htm and saying 'yes' to
the warning that 'An ActiveX control on this page might be unsafe to
interact with other parts of this page.' However in order to do so I must
say 'yes' on four separate occasions. Having done so I have restored to the
earliest point possible which is about 90 days earlier but there is no
change to the basic problem of seeing blank screens in sys restore and
network wizard.

Many thanks and kind regards. Derek

From: Jose on
On Jun 5, 11:09 pm, "talktalknews" <ih...(a)allspambtopenworld.com>
wrote:
> Hi all. Any help gratefully received. Apologies for the length of this
> message but want to try and give as much info as is reasonable. For some
> months I have a blank opening page on XP/Help and Support/System Restore and
> cannot effect a restore or create my own restore point therefore directly..
> However in the Sys Vol folder all restore points are still being auto
> created by XP. I have followed much advice from various sources such as MS
> MVP's and MS and other websites to no avail. The list is exhaustive and
> would create complaints if I posted the full list here which would stretch
> to several 'pages'. However the frequent common advice I have been kindly
> given is shown below all of which have not achieved anything. However I have
> now discovered new blank pages which may help diagnose the problem. I wanted
> to set up a home network using XP/Control Panel/Network Setup Wizard. On one
> of the early screens it asks what set up you have in respect of
> modem/router/laptop/desktop etc and invites you to click a link for a
> diagram.  None of the diagrams show they are just more blank pages.
>
> The common suggestions I have received are:-
> Run regsvr32 jscript.dll (reg success) - Run regsvr32 vbscript.dll(reg
> success) - uninstall/reinstall IE7 - Uninstall MS Update 896688 (I do not
> have it) - Boot in safe mode to access system restore - Go to Last Known
> Good Config - Run Net start (shows Sys Restore running) - Run sfc /scannow
> (does not show any problems) - Run chkdsk /f (all ok) -
> I had XP installed by the system vendor and updated to SP2 myself directly
> from the MS website. I have also tried reinstalling Sys Restore via Run
> c:\windows\inf but it asks for the CD and cannot find the files required.  I
> have found the files in on my PC in windows/system32 and elsewhere and
> directed the search there but it just says it cannot load the files. I have
> also tried using the original backup CD supplied by the system vendor but it
> fails saying my current setup is newer than that on the CD and does not
> allow me to proceed.
>
> I CAN access sys restore by going directly from IE with the address line of
> res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe/start.htm and saying 'yes' to
> the warning that 'An ActiveX control on this page might be unsafe to
> interact with other parts of this page.' However in order to do so I must
> say 'yes' on four separate occasions. Having done so I have restored to the
> earliest point possible which is about 90 days earlier but there is no
> change to the basic problem of seeing blank screens in sys restore and
> network wizard.
>
> Many thanks and kind regards. Derek

If your system has malicious software it may prevent you from using SR
(and many other things )- since it does not want you to find and
remove it. It wants you to reinstall instead XP - then it will be
happy with it's payload. Sometimes you just have to outsmart it (and
that is not too hard).

Empty looking Help & Support is fixable too - it is all fixable
without reinstalling, repairing, using a restore point.

You should be reasonably clear of malicious software first, then fix
your issues (it is much easier) and not be so anxious to try things
that might work maybe. You need to fix things.

System Restore is a frequent target for malicious software attacks.
If SR was working before and is now afflicted, run some scans and then
resolve any remaining
issues.

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

When the scans run clean it may also be necessary to reregister some
DLLs. Reregistering the DLLs is okay even if they do not need
reregistering. You can also reregister the DLLs before the scans
which may fix the issue, but the scans are still recommended.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter the following commands one at a
time. Click the OK button to execute each command:

regsvr32 jscript
regsvr32 vbscript
regsvr32 /i mshtml

The last command for mshtml will load the DLL but may also contain a
harmless warning message depending on your environment

We will fix your Help & Support after the scans if it still needs
fixing

??? Have you used any third party products that contain these words
in the description:

doctor
optimize
compress
speed up
tune up
fix up
clean up
mechanic
From: Jose on
On Jun 6, 6:18 pm, Jose <jose_e...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > the warning that 'An ActiveX control on this page might be unsafe to
> > interact with other parts of this page.' However in order to do so I must
> > say 'yes' on four separate occasions. Having done so I have restored to the
> > earliest point possible which is about 90 days earlier but there is no
> > change to the basic problem of seeing blank screens in sys restore and
> > network wizard.
>
> > Many thanks and kind regards. Derek
>
> If your system has malicious software it may prevent you from using SR
> (and many other things )- since it does not want you to find and
> remove it.  It wants you to reinstall instead XP - then it will be
> happy with it's payload.  Sometimes you just have to outsmart it (and
> that is not too hard).
>
> Empty looking Help & Support is fixable too - it is all fixable
> without reinstalling, repairing, using a restore point.

I should say... it is all fixable WITHOUT using a restore point.

From: talktalknews on
Hi and thanks for your input. I ran the two malware progs you recommended
and they came up clean. I re-registered the jscript and vbscript dll's and
they were registered ok but the mshtml failed - error message 'mshtml was
loaded but dll reg server entry point was not found. mshtml does not appear
to be a dll or ocx'. file.

Further suggestions welcome from all.

Kind regards.

From: Jose on
On Jun 6, 8:41 pm, "talktalknews" <ih...(a)allspambtopenworld.com>
wrote:
> [...]
> > > must
> > > say 'yes' on four separate occasions. Having done so I have restored to
> > > the
> > > earliest point possible which is about 90 days earlier but there is no
> > > change to the basic problem of seeing blank screens in sys restore and
> > > network wizard.
>
> > > Many thanks and kind regards. Derek
>
> > If your system has malicious software it may prevent you from using SR
> > (and many other things )- since it does not want you to find and
> > remove it. It wants you to reinstall instead XP - then it will be
> > happy with it's payload. Sometimes you just have to outsmart it (and
> > that is not too hard).
>
> > Empty looking Help & Support is fixable too - it is all fixable
> > without reinstalling, repairing, using a restore point.
>
> I should say... it is all fixable WITHOUT using a restore point.

Good job.

The instructions remind you that you might see a warning message on
the last step - not a problem.

Let's determine if SR is broken or SR is trying to access SR via Help
and Support is broken.

You should not have to access SR from IE (or course).

What version of IE are you running?

Did you ever upgrade to SP3 or are you still running SP2?

Verify you can get to SR from Start, Programs Accessories, System
Tools, System Restore...

Then see if you can get to SR by clicking Start, Run and in the box
enter:

%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Click OK and see if your SR opens properly.

Does SR only misbehave only when you try to access it from Help and
Support?

Do the other Help and Support features work and only SR is afflicted?

I am not sure about your network setup wizard thing right now - no
bells are ringing on that one.

Have you ever used any third party tools with those words I mentioned?