From: talktalknews on

"Jose" <jose_ease(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Jun 6, 8:41 pm, "talktalknews" <ih...(a)allspambtopenworld.com>
wrote:
> [...]
> > > now discovered new blank pages which may help diagnose the problem. I
> > > wanted
> > > to set up a home network using XP/Control Panel/Network Setup Wizard.
> > > On
> > > one
> > > of the early screens it asks what set up you have in respect of
> > > modem/router/laptop/desktop etc and invites you to click a link for a
> > > diagram. None of the diagrams show they are just more blank pages.
>
> > > The common suggestions I have received are:-
> > > Run regsvr32 jscript.dll (reg success) - Run regsvr32 vbscript.dll(reg
> > > success) - uninstall/reinstall IE7 - Uninstall MS Update 896688 (I do
> > > not
> > > have it) - Boot in safe mode to access system restore - Go to Last
> > > Known
> > > Good Config - Run Net start (shows Sys Restore running) - Run sfc
> > > /scannow
> > > (does not show any problems) - Run chkdsk /f (all ok) -
> > > I had XP installed by the system vendor and updated to SP2 myself
> > > directly
> > > from the MS website. I have also tried reinstalling Sys Restore via
> > > Run
> > > c:\windows\inf but it asks for the CD and cannot find the files
> > > required. I
> > > have found the files in on my PC in windows/system32 and elsewhere and
> > > directed the search there but it just says it cannot load the files. I
> > > have
> > > also tried using the original backup CD supplied by the system vendor
> > > but it
> > > fails saying my current setup is newer than that on the CD and does
> > > not
> > > allow me to proceed.
>
> > > I CAN access sys restore by going directly from IE with the address
> > > line
> > > of
> > > res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe/start.htm and saying
> > > 'yes'
> > > the warning that 'An ActiveX control on this page might be unsafe to
> > > interact with other parts of this page.' However in order to do so I
> > > must
> > > say 'yes' on four separate occasions. Having done so I have restored
> > > the
> > > earliest point possible which is about 90 days earlier but there is no
> > > change to the basic problem of seeing blank screens in sys restore and
> > > network wizard.
>
> > > Many thanks and kind regards. Derek
>
> > If your system has malicious software it may prevent you from using SR
> > (and many other things )- since it does not want you to find and
> > remove it. It wants you to reinstall instead XP - then it will be
> > happy with it's payload. Sometimes you just have to outsmart it (and
> > that is not too hard).
>
> > Empty looking Help & Support is fixable too - it is all fixable
> > without reinstalling, repairing, using a restore point.
>
> I should say... it is all fixable WITHOUT using a restore point.

Good job.

The instructions remind you that you might see a warning message on
the last step - not a problem.

Let's determine if SR is broken or SR is trying to access SR via Help
and Support is broken.

You should not have to access SR from IE (or course).

What version of IE are you running?

Did you ever upgrade to SP3 or are you still running SP2?

Verify you can get to SR from Start, Programs Accessories, System
Tools, System Restore...

Then see if you can get to SR by clicking Start, Run and in the box
enter:

%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Click OK and see if your SR opens properly.

Does SR only misbehave only when you try to access it from Help and
Support?

Do the other Help and Support features work and only SR is afflicted?

I am not sure about your network setup wizard thing right now - no
bells are ringing on that one.

Have you ever used any third party tools with those words I mentioned?

Hi Jose again.
Many thanks for your continued input. Sorry about the top post in my last
message - do not understand how that happened - still in answer to your
questions:-
1. Version IE7
2. Never went for SP3. Still on SP2 as downloaded/installed directly from MS
website. I have a laptop as well as desktop with identical set-up on both. I
downloaded SP3 for the laptop and it messed everything up so I uninstalled
it back to SP2 and never tried it on the desktop which is where the System
Restore problem is of course. All relevant SP2 updates in place. Latest
drivers for video card in place.
3. No. Start/All Progs/Accessories/Sys Tools/System Restore opens to the
blank window with System restore as its heading
4. No. The Run command does the same as no.3 above. Opens a blank System
restore window.
5. The only way I have thus found to open a working System restore is via IE
with an address line of
res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe/start.htm
6. All other Help/Support features are fine as is the rest of the PC save
for the lack of diagrams in the Network Set-up Wizard
7. I have never had third party tools with the phrases you mention.
8. I did not mention it earlier but prior to this relatively recent
inability to access System restore the normal way it had been working fine.

Best regards.Derek

From: Jose on
On Jun 7, 12:03 pm, "talktalknews" <ih...(a)allspambtopenworld.com>
wrote:
> [...]
> Restore problem is of course. All relevant SP2 updates in place. Latest
> drivers for video card in place.
> 3. No. Start/All Progs/Accessories/Sys Tools/System Restore opens to the
> blank window with System restore as its heading
> 4. No. The Run command does the same as no.3 above. Opens a blank System
> restore window.
> 5. The only way I have thus found to open a working System restore is via IE
> with an address line of
> res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe/start.htm
> 6. All other Help/Support features are fine as is the rest of the PC save
> for the lack of diagrams in the Network Set-up Wizard
> 7. I have never had third party tools with the phrases you mention.
> 8. I did not mention it earlier but prior to this relatively recent
> inability to access System restore the normal way it had been working fine.

Hmmm, I thought for sure those other instructions would work for the
empty SR calendar, so maybe there is something else afoot.

I hate to suggest SR in Safe Mode, but it would be interesting to see
what happens when you start that way.

If you are 100% sure that you ran MBAM and SAS and they ran clean and
you followed the other instructions, you can reinstall your SR as
follows:

Reinstall SR.

All of your current Restore Points will be removed and you must
restart your computer when the installation is complete. That will
create one new System Checkpoint in your SR calendar.

Assuming your XP is installed on the C drive of your machine:

The installation will ask you for some files. If you do not have a
genuine bootable XP installation CD, you can change the path of where
the installer looks for files one at a time as they are needed.

Browse to c:\windows\inf and right click:

sr.inf

Choose Install

The installation may ask for files from the c:\windows\inf\386
folder. If yo uhave a genuine bootable XP installation CD, point the
installer to that instead.

The Service Pack installed on your system needs to be the same as the
CD you are going to use - or don't use the CD until the two match.
You do not absolutely need a CD since the files you will be asked for
are already on your system. You just have to find them.

If you are asked for a file and you can't find it in the location that
works on my system, you will have to search your HDD and find where
the file(s) are on your system as you are asked for them. They are
there somewhere or get them from a working machine.

Here is how my system works when I reinstall SR (pretending I have no
genuine bootable XP installation CD):

When asked for:

sr.sys

Point the install to c:\windows\system32\drivers

When asked for:

srclient.dll

Point the install to c:\windows\system32

When asked for:

filelist.xml

Point the install to c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386

When asked for:

srframe.mmf

Point the install to c:\windows\system32\dllcache (or c:\windows
\system32\restore)

If the installation can't find the file, you need to find the file
yourself and point the installation to the correct folder. You do not
have to "stop" the installation, just fire up your search mechanism,
locate the needed file on your HDD and tell the installer where the
files is and continue.

When the installation completes, you will get a message that you need
to restart your computer.

Restart your computer and test your SR. You should then have one
System Checkpoint in your calendar.
From: talktalknews on

wrote:
> [...]

srclient.dll

Point the install to c:\windows\system32

When asked for:

filelist.xml

Point the install to c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386

When asked for:

srframe.mmf

Point the install to c:\windows\system32\dllcache (or c:\windows
\system32\restore)

If the installation can't find the file, you need to find the file
yourself and point the installation to the correct folder. You do not
have to "stop" the installation, just fire up your search mechanism,
locate the needed file on your HDD and tell the installer where the
files is and continue.

When the installation completes, you will get a message that you need
to restart your computer.

Restart your computer and test your SR. You should then have one

Hi Jose.

Thank you for your continuing input. Starting SR in Safe Mode makes no
difference. The page opens with the System Restore heading but the page is
blank.

I promise I ran both MBAM and SAS yesterday in full. By the way MBAM took
over two hours to complete the Full Scan task. There is little point in my
seeking help and advice if I do not take it so I would not waste your or
anybody else's time by not doing reasonable thingsJ Today I ran both
programmes again twice. Having done the Full Scan yesterday with clean
results I ran the quicker versions. Below is the result of just the MBAM
scan to hopefully prove I have done them:-

Scan type: Quick scan

Objects scanned: 139396

Time elapsed: 19 minute(s), 30 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Registry Values Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Registry Data Items Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Folders Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Files Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Following your advice, from install sr.inf it does ask for the installation
files from the XP CD. As I said earlier I do have a genuine copy of XP with
key number/label of course on my system which was installed by the PC
vendor. The vendor supplied a Recovery CD. I have previously tried using
this CD and have tried again today to access the relevant files which are
easily found but the message appears that the files on the CD are older than
those on my PC and therefore it cannot continue. After trying your
suggestions below which unfortunately failed I then tried to circumvent this
above error by copying the files from the CD to a folder on the desktop and
tried to install them from there but from sr.sys it gives the error message
'installation failed'. As I say I tried this after carrying out your
recommendations.

So using your example, from the install of sr.inf it asks for sr.sys which
is indeed in c:\windows\system32\drivers. It then asks for srclient.dll
which again is like yours in c:\windows\system32. So far so good then it
says 'set-up cannot copy the file srclient.dll' and setup goes no further.
I actually have five copies of the srclient.dll file on my system.

1. c:\windows\system32

2. c:\windows\$NTServicePackUninstall$

3. c:\windows\LastGood\System32

4. c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

5. c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

I have tried them all and they each produce the same result of 'set-up
cannot copy the file srclient.dll'. However it asks if I want to bypass this
file and try to continue installation. If you say 'yes' it asks for two
further files (srsvc.dll and srrstr.dll) before it asks for the file you
next mention namely filelist.xml. However when you try for these two
further files you again get 'set-up cannot copy the file srsvc/srrstr.dll'.
On my system I again have 5 copies of the srsvc.dll file in the same
identical folders as the srclient.dll file and seven copies of the
srrstr.dll file in various folders.

Next it asks for the file you mention filelist.xml but before your next file
of srframe.mmf it asks for a further file rstrui.exe. Again in every case
it says ''set-up cannot copy the file xxxx.dll'.

The stumbling block seems to be getting past the srclient.dll file.

As I said earlier I have a laptop as well as this troublesome desktop and I
have also found and copied all the files from my laptop to the desktop and
all the version numbers of the files match. However the problem of getting
past the srclient.dll file remains.

Kind regards. Derek