From: Jeff Strickland on
I'm running Vista Home Premium, 32-bit, and IE8.

I "installed" Flash 10 Active X add-on, but it does not run. Pages with
known Flash are displayed blank where the ActiveX content is supposed to be.
I have XP machines running IE8 and the Flash 10 player, and the content
works properly.

I think the problem is in Vista, since the XP machines work right.

The Flash Player says the installation is complete, and there is a file
listed in the Programs & Features section of the Control Panel. I can
Uninstall, reboot, then Install, and the entry will drop and come back, but
the add-on does not run. Of course, since it's a free player, Adobe does not
provide support that is worth a damn, even when the troubleshooting guide
takes you to a phone number that makes no mention of the support that isn't
available -- an hour on hold, twice, before they told me they don't have
phone support.

There IS an entry in the Programs and Features section, but there is no
entry in START>ALL PROGRAMS to fire off the Flash Player by itself then seek
out Flash content with File>Open.

Is there an issue with the Flash Player and IE8 running under Vista? I can't
find a setting that has disabled Flash from playing, but that doesn't mean
there isn't one.

From: Paul on
Jeff Strickland wrote:
> I'm running Vista Home Premium, 32-bit, and IE8.
>
> I "installed" Flash 10 Active X add-on, but it does not run. Pages with
> known Flash are displayed blank where the ActiveX content is supposed to be.
> I have XP machines running IE8 and the Flash 10 player, and the content
> works properly.
>
> I think the problem is in Vista, since the XP machines work right.
>
> The Flash Player says the installation is complete, and there is a file
> listed in the Programs & Features section of the Control Panel. I can
> Uninstall, reboot, then Install, and the entry will drop and come back, but
> the add-on does not run. Of course, since it's a free player, Adobe does not
> provide support that is worth a damn, even when the troubleshooting guide
> takes you to a phone number that makes no mention of the support that isn't
> available -- an hour on hold, twice, before they told me they don't have
> phone support.
>
> There IS an entry in the Programs and Features section, but there is no
> entry in START>ALL PROGRAMS to fire off the Flash Player by itself then seek
> out Flash content with File>Open.
>
> Is there an issue with the Flash Player and IE8 running under Vista? I can't
> find a setting that has disabled Flash from playing, but that doesn't mean
> there isn't one.

I don't know where you get your Flash package from, but I get the latest
one from here. It is a ZIP file.

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

2/11/2010

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/updaters/10/flash_player_update_201002_flash10.zip

In the "Release" folder is the standalone player "FlashPlayer.exe".

The file ending in "...ActiveX.exe" installs flash in IE.

The file ending in "...Plugin.exe" installs flash in Netscape (Firefox) browsers.

If your Flash won't run in IE, then it could be a security setting. I don't
run the latest IE so can't help you there.

*******

This test page, used to test both Shockwave and Flash. But the
simplicity of the previous test was too much for them. The Flash
test page now, plays some streaming content, instead of presenting
a simple dialog with details of the install.

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

Paul
From: Jeff Strickland on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> I'm running Vista Home Premium, 32-bit, and IE8.
>>
>> I "installed" Flash 10 Active X add-on, but it does not run. Pages with
>> known Flash are displayed blank where the ActiveX content is supposed to
>> be. I have XP machines running IE8 and the Flash 10 player, and the
>> content works properly.
>>
>> I think the problem is in Vista, since the XP machines work right.
>>
>> The Flash Player says the installation is complete, and there is a file
>> listed in the Programs & Features section of the Control Panel. I can
>> Uninstall, reboot, then Install, and the entry will drop and come back,
>> but the add-on does not run. Of course, since it's a free player, Adobe
>> does not provide support that is worth a damn, even when the
>> troubleshooting guide takes you to a phone number that makes no mention
>> of the support that isn't available -- an hour on hold, twice, before
>> they told me they don't have phone support.
>>
>> There IS an entry in the Programs and Features section, but there is no
>> entry in START>ALL PROGRAMS to fire off the Flash Player by itself then
>> seek out Flash content with File>Open.
>>
>> Is there an issue with the Flash Player and IE8 running under Vista? I
>> can't find a setting that has disabled Flash from playing, but that
>> doesn't mean there isn't one.
>>

> I don't know where you get your Flash package from, but I get the latest
> one from here. It is a ZIP file.

I'm getting it from Adobe. It installs and reports the installation is
complete, but it doesn't work. I'm using IE ... Security was set to Custom,
for some unknown reason, so I set it back to Med-High which is the default
setting, and it didn't help.

From: Julie Bove on

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
>> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>> I'm running Vista Home Premium, 32-bit, and IE8.
>>>
>>> I "installed" Flash 10 Active X add-on, but it does not run. Pages with
>>> known Flash are displayed blank where the ActiveX content is supposed to
>>> be. I have XP machines running IE8 and the Flash 10 player, and the
>>> content works properly.
>>>
>>> I think the problem is in Vista, since the XP machines work right.
>>>
>>> The Flash Player says the installation is complete, and there is a file
>>> listed in the Programs & Features section of the Control Panel. I can
>>> Uninstall, reboot, then Install, and the entry will drop and come back,
>>> but the add-on does not run. Of course, since it's a free player, Adobe
>>> does not provide support that is worth a damn, even when the
>>> troubleshooting guide takes you to a phone number that makes no mention
>>> of the support that isn't available -- an hour on hold, twice, before
>>> they told me they don't have phone support.
>>>
>>> There IS an entry in the Programs and Features section, but there is no
>>> entry in START>ALL PROGRAMS to fire off the Flash Player by itself then
>>> seek out Flash content with File>Open.
>>>
>>> Is there an issue with the Flash Player and IE8 running under Vista? I
>>> can't find a setting that has disabled Flash from playing, but that
>>> doesn't mean there isn't one.
>>>

>> I don't know where you get your Flash package from, but I get the latest
>> one from here. It is a ZIP file.
>>

> I'm getting it from Adobe. It installs and reports the installation is
> complete, but it doesn't work. I'm using IE ... Security was set to
> Custom, for some unknown reason, so I set it back to Med-High which is the
> default setting, and it didn't help.

You might have to uninstall and reinstall. I have XP but found I was having
a problem with certain applications. Doing this seemed to work.

From: Jeff Strickland on

"Julie Bove" <juliebove(a)verizon.net> wrote in message

> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message

>>> I don't know where you get your Flash package from, but I get the latest
>>> one from here. It is a ZIP file.
>>>

>> I'm getting it from Adobe. It installs and reports the installation is
>> complete, but it doesn't work. I'm using IE ... Security was set to
>> Custom, for some unknown reason, so I set it back to Med-High which is
>> the default setting, and it didn't help.
>
> You might have to uninstall and reinstall. I have XP but found I was
> having a problem with certain applications. Doing this seemed to work.

Uninstalled and Reinstalled several times.

What I have not tried is to Uninstall and then Install an earlier version of
the Flash Player from Adobe's archives.