From: rhyde on

> It could easily be argued that if an "assembly language
> programmer(tm)" uses *more* lines of equates than LOC then there is
> something _wrong_ with his development environment.

That would be a difficult argument to make.
Consider the windows.inc header file that is commonly used by MASM32
programmers. It's tens of thousands of lines long. Most programs that
include it aren't as big as the header file itself. And that really
has nothing to do with the "development environment" and everything to
do with the vast number of equates needed by Windows.

RosAsm is no different. It's "equates.equ" file is quite long as well.
The difference is that RosAsm uses specialized code to handle those
equates. If you, as a paltry user, try to create your own equates file
that size, it *will* crash RosAsm for most typical RosAsm applications
out there. Go ahead, try it yourself. It only takes about 30 minutes
to edit equates.equ and turn it into a syntactically compatible source
file for RosAsm to process -- at least up to the point RosAsm crashes
on it. It's really sad that RosAsm needs special code to handle
equates like this -- that the user cannot make such an equates list
themselves. *THAT* tells me there's something wrong with the
development environment. Rene can try and deflect the bad news all he
wants by claiming that "RosAsm doesn't compile newspapers" (whatever
the heck that means), but the bottom line is that no other assembler
available has problems like this.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: //o//annabee on
På Fri, 23 Feb 2007 21:53:42 -0000, skrev Evenbit <nbaker2328(a)charter.net>:

> Hey Wannabee - send me the Nasm source for "bliss" to this address:
> evenbitnb at yahoo dot com
>
> Nathan.

I am not at home at the moment. I try to remember to send you it when I
get back, sunday or monday.

From: Betov on
"rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu" <rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu> �crivait

> It's "equates.equ" file is quite long as well.

No, clown. It is not "quite long as well". It is quite
longer: 63.763 Equates collected, up today. Equates that
the programmer can use for free, without any care of it,
without any overhead, and at a speed that would push any
Assembler around on its knees, including the other fast
one: FASM.

:)

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: rhyde on
On Feb 23, 11:50 pm, Betov <b...(a)free.fr> wrote:
> "r...(a)cs.ucr.edu" <r...(a)cs.ucr.edu> écrivaitnews:1172276776.826039.168810(a)z35g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
>
> > It's "equates.equ" file is quite long as well.
>
> No, clown. It is not "quite long as well". It is quite
> longer: 63.763 Equates collected, up today. Equates that
> the programmer can use for free, without any care of it,
> without any overhead, and at a speed that would push any
> Assembler around on its knees, including the other fast
> one: FASM.

Now, why can't the user create their own "equates file" containing
63,763 different equates and compile small test programs without
having RosAsm crash?

It's wonderful that you preprocess these common equates for the user
(particular as RosAsm would crash if they tried to include these
equates directly in their source files). That does not excuse the fact
that your assembler crashes if the user attempts to do the same thing
themselves. No other assembler has this problem.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: Betov on

> On Feb 23, 11:50 pm, Betov <b...(a)free.fr> wrote:
>> "r...(a)cs.ucr.edu" <r...(a)cs.ucr.edu>
�crivaitnews:1172276776.826039.1688
> 10(a)z35g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
>>
>> > It's "equates.equ" file is quite long as well.
>>
>> No, clown. It is not "quite long as well". It is quite
>> longer: 63.763 Equates collected, up today. Equates that
>> the programmer can use for free, without any care of it,
>> without any overhead, and at a speed that would push any
>> Assembler around on its knees, including the other fast
>> one: FASM.
>
> Now, why can't the user create their own "equates file" containing
> 63,763 different equates and compile small test programs without
> having RosAsm crash?

Because the real artists hate perfection, which can only be found
out with perfect nerds, clown.

:)

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >