From: liquidator on

"wardy" <conor2000(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Advice needed please from all you experts out there.
>
> I have a decent background in sound engineering and live mic/desk
> setups, however I am no expert.
> I want to find the best way of installing a particular system in a
> public venue.
>
> I am installing a Technics amp with normal Stereo output (+- L and +-
> R)
> I have to send the audio thru the amp to 12 separate speakers across a
> sprawling venue.
>
> I have purchased a mono splitter and a stereo splitter.
>
> Firstly i tried the mono splitter so that each speaker would be mono.
> I tried to convert this stereo output from the amp to mono by
> combining the cables. firstly i tried to wire both the + outputs from
> the amp into the + of 1 speaker cable and both the - into the - of
> the cable. this however simply forced the amp to "click" off after a
> few seconds of sound so i presume it wasnt happy with the level of
> impedance of whatever.
> So a mono splitter is out.
>
> I am going to try the 6 way skytronic Stereo splitter next.
> I am going to run 2 cables from the amp to the splitter (for L & R)
> Then use the L and R channel from each of the 6 "rooms" on the
> splitter as a separate L or R speaker on either side of the room thus
> giving 12 speakers (6 L and 6 R).
>
> I havent set up a system where this many (12) speakers need to be run
> by 1 amp before so need your input please so i can learn as much as i
> can about running multiple speakers from 1 amp.
>
> Q - Does this sound like the best (and cheapest) solution?
> Q - Why did the amp click off when i was trying to join the stereo +
> and - outputs to make one mono + cable and one mono - cable?
> Q - anything you can teach me about wiring up Multiple speakers from 1
> amp using a speaker splitter from your own experience would be great.
>
> Looking forward to your advice.
> Thanks

This is the point where someone experienced says "You did WHAT?"

All 100% the wrong way to go about it.

The best solution is a constant voltage line.

A tansformer is used to steup up the amp's output.

The smaller transformers are used at the speakers.

I recommend Edcor transformers..

Google "constant voltage line" and read. Also read the tech stuff at Edcor.

The transformers for the speakers will have taps if you need to adjust
individual volumes.

The amp transformer has to be sized to accept the full power of the amp. I
don't think the speaker transformer ratings are gonna matter much in your
app. They should be 1/6 of th amp's rating assuming 6 per channel.

From: Mr.T on

"wardy" <conor2000(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have a decent background in sound engineering

From what you've written below, I can't begin to imagine what you call "a
decent background in sound engineening"!!!

From: Soundhaspriority on
<kludge(a)panix.com> wrote in message hojndr$6l6$1(a)panix2.panix.com

> I have generally designed 70v systems for high quality audio to have a
> -3 dB point around 20 Hz, which requires pretty huge transformers. I
> strongly recommend the Tannoy transformers (which are actually made by
> some company in Canada for them)

I thought Tannoys were slang for loudspeakers. What would they have to do
with transformers?

Any why would anyone buy Canadian anything?

From: Owain on
On 27 Mar, 01:36, L...(a)nospam.com wrote:
> Your best bet is to connect the speakers in a parallel/series arrangement to
> maintain 8 ohms... and get dummy loads and DPDT switches to control them.

The best bet really is to ditch the existing amp (and probably the
speakers ...) and get a professional 70V / 100V line system. Which
will allow volume controls on each speaker or can have zones switched
in / out without upsetting the amp. With a second pair of wires
carrying an actuating voltage and a volume restoration relay at each
speaker volume control, all the speaker volume controls can be over-
ridden to allow emergency announcements, etc.

Anything involving series/parallel or dummy loads to try and
compensate for varying volume requirements is a kludge.

Owain

From: Klay_Anderson on
On Mar 26, 8:08 am, wardy <conor2...(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Advice needed please from all you experts out there.
>
> I have a decent background in sound engineering and live mic/desk
> setups, however I am no expert.
> I want to find the best way of installing a particular system in a
> public venue.
>
> I am installing a Technics amp with normal Stereo output (+- L and +-
> R)
> I have to send the audio thru the amp to 12 separate speakers across a
> sprawling venue.

I'd suggest a US company, Edcor. They make matching transformers for
high power 8-ohms-to-70-volt (so you can use that POS Technics) and
vice-versa for step-down at the speaker. They also make line- and mic-
level transformers and other goodies. Nice folks and you can order
direct.

Text "Klay" to 50500 for contact info

Yours truly,

Mr. Klay Anderson, D.A.,Q.B.E.