From: wardy on
Hi,

Advice needed please from all you experts out there.

I have a decent background in sound engineering and live mic/desk
setups, however I am no expert.
I want to find the best way of installing a particular system in a
public venue.

I am installing a Technics amp with normal Stereo output (+- L and +-
R)
I have to send the audio thru the amp to 12 separate speakers across a
sprawling venue.

I have purchased a mono splitter and a stereo splitter.

Firstly i tried the mono splitter so that each speaker would be mono.
I tried to convert this stereo output from the amp to mono by
combining the cables. firstly i tried to wire both the + outputs from
the amp into the + of 1 speaker cable and both the - into the - of
the cable. this however simply forced the amp to "click" off after a
few seconds of sound so i presume it wasnt happy with the level of
impedance of whatever.
So a mono splitter is out.

I am going to try the 6 way skytronic Stereo splitter next.
I am going to run 2 cables from the amp to the splitter (for L & R)
Then use the L and R channel from each of the 6 "rooms" on the
splitter as a separate L or R speaker on either side of the room thus
giving 12 speakers (6 L and 6 R).

I havent set up a system where this many (12) speakers need to be run
by 1 amp before so need your input please so i can learn as much as i
can about running multiple speakers from 1 amp.

Q - Does this sound like the best (and cheapest) solution?
Q - Why did the amp click off when i was trying to join the stereo +
and - outputs to make one mono + cable and one mono - cable?
Q - anything you can teach me about wiring up Multiple speakers from 1
amp using a speaker splitter from your own experience would be great.

Looking forward to your advice.
Thanks
From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"wardy" <conor2000(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Advice needed please from all you experts out there.
>
> I have a decent background in sound engineering and live mic/desk
> setups, however I am no expert.
> I want to find the best way of installing a particular system in a
> public venue.
>
> I am installing a Technics amp with normal Stereo output (+- L and +-
> R)
> I have to send the audio thru the amp to 12 separate speakers across a
> sprawling venue.
>
> I have purchased a mono splitter and a stereo splitter.
>
> Firstly i tried the mono splitter so that each speaker would be mono.
> I tried to convert this stereo output from the amp to mono by
> combining the cables. firstly i tried to wire both the + outputs from
> the amp into the + of 1 speaker cable and both the - into the - of
> the cable. this however simply forced the amp to "click" off after a
> few seconds of sound so i presume it wasnt happy with the level of
> impedance of whatever.
> So a mono splitter is out.
>
> I am going to try the 6 way skytronic Stereo splitter next.
> I am going to run 2 cables from the amp to the splitter (for L & R)
> Then use the L and R channel from each of the 6 "rooms" on the
> splitter as a separate L or R speaker on either side of the room thus
> giving 12 speakers (6 L and 6 R).
>
> I havent set up a system where this many (12) speakers need to be run
> by 1 amp before so need your input please so i can learn as much as i
> can about running multiple speakers from 1 amp.
>
> Q - Does this sound like the best (and cheapest) solution?
> Q - Why did the amp click off when i was trying to join the stereo +
> and - outputs to make one mono + cable and one mono - cable?
> Q - anything you can teach me about wiring up Multiple speakers from 1
> amp using a speaker splitter from your own experience would be great.
>
> Looking forward to your advice.
> Thanks

there are ways to make what your trying to do work,but in reality you have
the wrong equipment, time to list it on ebay and get a 70.7 volt amp and
70.7 volt speakers
it will make the job simple, traceable in your absence and upgradeable
you are trying to use spray cans to paint a house
yes it can be done, the results will be costly, time consuming and
unsatisfactory in the long run
George

From: Scott Dorsey on
wardy <conor2000(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>I am installing a Technics amp with normal Stereo output (+- L and +-
>R)
>I have to send the audio thru the amp to 12 separate speakers across a
>sprawling venue.
>
>I have purchased a mono splitter and a stereo splitter.

Throw the splitters away. Purchase some 70V transformers. There is a nice
discussion in the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook about how 70V systems
work. You will be much happier and things will actually work.
--scott

From: Hank on
In article <ec842d4a-75bd-47cc-8468-cd5e7221b81e(a)35g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
wardy <conor2000(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am installing a Technics amp with normal Stereo output (+- L and +-
>R)
>I have to send the audio thru the amp to 12 separate speakers across a
>sprawling venue.
>
>I have purchased a mono splitter and a stereo splitter.
>
>Firstly i tried the mono splitter so that each speaker would be mono.
>I tried to convert this stereo output from the amp to mono by
>combining the cables. firstly i tried to wire both the + outputs from
>the amp into the + of 1 speaker cable and both the - into the - of
>the cable. this however simply forced the amp to "click" off after a
>few seconds of sound so i presume it wasnt happy with the level of
>impedance of whatever.
>So a mono splitter is out.

If you want to drive 12 speakers from a stereo amplifier, set up a pair
of 25 or 70-volt systems on the amplifier outputs. You've got two
amplifiers in the box, use them independently and don't try to tie them
together at the output.

If you want mono operation, just Y the inputs from your signal source to
the two inputs to the two amplifiers.

Hank
From: William Sommerwerck on
You're going about it the wrong way. You don't need a splitter. (I don't
even know what that is.)

Assuming you can use both channels, and you have a mono signal...

Put six speakers on each channel. A series-parallel arrangement -- three in
series, paralleled with another three in series -- would probably be the
best way, but this depends on the speaker impedance and the minimum load the
amp can drive.

The speakers should be identical. Otherwise you're going to run into level
and other problems.