From: liquidator on

"Phil Allison" <phil_a(a)tpg.com.au> wrote in message

> ** Who cares what amps you are infatuated or not with ?

0
That time of the month Phil?

From: Mr.T on

"Soundhaspriority" <nowhere(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
> <kludge(a)panix.com> wrote in message hojndr$6l6$1(a)panix2.panix.com
>
> > I have generally designed 70v systems for high quality audio to have a
> > -3 dB point around 20 Hz, which requires pretty huge transformers. I
> > strongly recommend the Tannoy transformers (which are actually made by
> > some company in Canada for them)
>
> I thought Tannoys were slang for loudspeakers. What would they have to do
> with transformers?

In Britain, just like Hoover is slang for vacuum cleaner. Both because of
the company that makes them being so popular at the time. And both companies
also made other products.

MrT.

From: Hank on
In article <hojndr$6l6$1(a)panix2.panix.com>,
Scott Dorsey <kludge(a)panix.com> wrote:

>I have generally designed 70v systems for high quality audio to have a
>-3 dB point around 20 Hz, which requires pretty huge transformers. I
>strongly recommend the Tannoy transformers (which are actually made by
>some company in Canada for them) but the cheap Edcors aren't bad if you
>buy their "extended low frequency" series. For background music systems
>there's no need to have anything that extreme.

Are those Tannoy transformers wound by Hammond in Ontario?
Hammond's own line is at http://www.hammondmfg.com/117.htm. The top of
their line talks about low frequency cutoff at 50 Hz. at full power.
I think Mouser now carries the Hammond line. Prices, last I looked, are
not too bad, considering that they're about the only quality house
still winding some of the old-spec stuff for vacuum tube iron.

Hank
From: Scott Dorsey on
Hank <vancleef(a)blackhole.lostwells.org> wrote:
>In article <hojndr$6l6$1(a)panix2.panix.com>,
>Scott Dorsey <kludge(a)panix.com> wrote:
>>
>>I have generally designed 70v systems for high quality audio to have a
>>-3 dB point around 20 Hz, which requires pretty huge transformers. I
>>strongly recommend the Tannoy transformers (which are actually made by
>>some company in Canada for them) but the cheap Edcors aren't bad if you
>>buy their "extended low frequency" series. For background music systems
>>there's no need to have anything that extreme.
>>
>Are those Tannoy transformers wound by Hammond in Ontario?

No. I had to go down and find one of them, but they are made by BEI
(www.bei.net). Hammond's transformers are... kind of deficient.

>Hammond's own line is at http://www.hammondmfg.com/117.htm. The top of
>their line talks about low frequency cutoff at 50 Hz. at full power.

That's not anything to write home about, but you could do okay IF you
could derate the things. What you want is something with the same input
and output Z but with a much larger core.

>I think Mouser now carries the Hammond line. Prices, last I looked, are
>not too bad, considering that they're about the only quality house
>still winding some of the old-spec stuff for vacuum tube iron.

That's actually a pretty big market these days, though. Lots of small
outfits doing good work, like Sowter. Sowter also makes 70v transformers
with good numbers too, but I have never tried them.
--scott

From: Leon on
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:29:45 -0700 (PDT), Owain <spuorgelgoog(a)gowanhill.com>
wrote:

>On 27 Mar, 01:36, L...(a)nospam.com wrote:
>> Your best bet is to connect the speakers in a parallel/series arrangement to
>> maintain 8 ohms... and get dummy loads and DPDT switches to control them.
>
>The best bet really is to ditch the existing amp (and probably the
>speakers ...) and get a professional 70V / 100V line system. Which
>will allow volume controls on each speaker or can have zones switched
>in / out without upsetting the amp. With a second pair of wires
>carrying an actuating voltage and a volume restoration relay at each
>speaker volume control, all the speaker volume controls can be over-
>ridden to allow emergency announcements, etc.
>
>Anything involving series/parallel or dummy loads to try and
>compensate for varying volume requirements is a kludge.
>
>Owain

He said he doesn't have the budget for that, and the way he was talking, it's
going to be a disaster!