From: Laurence Payne on
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 07:08:54 -0700 (PDT), wardy
<conor2000(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>I have a decent background in sound engineering and live mic/desk
>setups, however I am no expert.
>I want to find the best way of installing a particular system in a
>public venue.
>
>I am installing a Technics amp with normal Stereo output (+- L and +-
>R)
>I have to send the audio thru the amp to 12 separate speakers across a
>sprawling venue.

You can series/parallel the speakers to present an acceptable load to
the amplifier. But it's a kludge, and a fault in one speaker or one
connection will very likely bring the whole system down.

The right way to do it is with 70v speakers.
From: Laurence Payne on
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 09:20:12 -0700 (PDT), wardy
<conor2000(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>thanks for all the replies so far.
>I have to work with the hardware I've got though, so cannot change to
>a 70v amp or speakers.

Why? If someone's made a mistake, better to own up and take the loss
than to put in a flaky system.
From: liquidator on

"Laurence Payne" <lp(a)laurencepayne.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 09:20:12 -0700 (PDT), wardy
> <conor2000(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>thanks for all the replies so far.
>>I have to work with the hardware I've got though, so cannot change to
>>a 70v amp or speakers.
>
> Why? If someone's made a mistake, better to own up and take the loss
> than to put in a flaky system.

He's also wrong. all he needs to do is add transformers. Done it a hundred
times.

From: Phil Allison on

"liquidator"

> He's also wrong. all he needs to do is add transformers. Done it a hundred
> times.

** Really ?? Not with domestic amps like Technics.

Such amps are never intended to drive 70 volt line ( step up) transformers
are very likely to be damaged by so doing.

The issue is core saturation at low frequencies - hard to avoid
completely and deadly on anything but the most rugged amplifiers.

...... Phil

From: liquidator on

"Phil Allison" <phil_a(a)tpg.com.au> wrote in message

> "liquidator"
>
>> He's also wrong. all he needs to do is add transformers. Done it a
>> hundred times.
>
> ** Really ?? Not with domestic amps like Technics.
>
> Such amps are never intended to drive 70 volt line ( step up) transformers
> are very likely to be damaged by so doing.
>
> The issue is core saturation at low frequencies - hard to avoid
> completely and deadly on anything but the most rugged amplifiers.
>

> ..... Phil

Interesting. Have done it dozens of times. Tend not to use Technics, and do
use quality transformers.

What about a coupling capacitor or would that be a bad idea?

You are the one whose judgement I respect, perhapsI have just been lucky.