From: GregS on
In article <ec842d4a-75bd-47cc-8468-cd5e7221b81e(a)35g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>, wardy <conor2000(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Advice needed please from all you experts out there.
>
>I have a decent background in sound engineering and live mic/desk
>setups, however I am no expert.
>I want to find the best way of installing a particular system in a
>public venue.
>
>I am installing a Technics amp with normal Stereo output (+- L and +-
>R)
>I have to send the audio thru the amp to 12 separate speakers across a
>sprawling venue.
>
>I have purchased a mono splitter and a stereo splitter.
>
>Firstly i tried the mono splitter so that each speaker would be mono.
>I tried to convert this stereo output from the amp to mono by
>combining the cables. firstly i tried to wire both the + outputs from
>the amp into the + of 1 speaker cable and both the - into the - of
>the cable. this however simply forced the amp to "click" off after a
>few seconds of sound so i presume it wasnt happy with the level of
>impedance of whatever.
>So a mono splitter is out.
>
>I am going to try the 6 way skytronic Stereo splitter next.
>I am going to run 2 cables from the amp to the splitter (for L & R)
>Then use the L and R channel from each of the 6 "rooms" on the
>splitter as a separate L or R speaker on either side of the room thus
>giving 12 speakers (6 L and 6 R).
>
>I havent set up a system where this many (12) speakers need to be run
>by 1 amp before so need your input please so i can learn as much as i
>can about running multiple speakers from 1 amp.
>
>Q - Does this sound like the best (and cheapest) solution?
>Q - Why did the amp click off when i was trying to join the stereo +
>and - outputs to make one mono + cable and one mono - cable?
>Q - anything you can teach me about wiring up Multiple speakers from 1
>amp using a speaker splitter from your own experience would be great.
>
>Looking forward to your advice.
>Thanks

To use what you have, wire up the stereo splitter, and push mono switch.
Or, wire up the mono splitter, with ONE channel, and push mono.
Its still a lot of speakers. What is the splitter ? Its got to be a box
of good size with many resistors inside, else you can't use just a
little adaptor plug. Like this................
http://www.altex.com/Vanco-Deluxe-6-Way-Stereo-Speaker-Selector-SS6-P141825.aspx

greg