From: Dave C. on
I have a new Photosmart C4680 All-In-One and installed it using the CD
that came with the printer. (My older printer, Deskjet 6980 had a
mechanical failure.) Installation version is 13.0. After
installation, the Scan-to-PC did not function.....error stated some of
the files needed were not installed. (Turned off antivirus through
installations.)

Uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times to no avail. HP web site offered
the latest installation version 14.0. After uninstalling the 13.0 and
installing the 14.0 the Scan-to PC worked OK

Now I am missing a tab printer preferences/services such as nozzle
test, etc. And I get frequent errors with messages to power cycle the
printer, reboot the computer, etc. And the Solution Center tends to
be glitchy.

I am writing this in case anyone has some ideas as to what might be
going on. Hate to say this, but by the end of the week, it is going
back to the retailer.

(Had the same problems with a F4400 which I returned a few weeks ago.)

Dell PC, XP Pro, SP2, Explorer browser, USB cable length 6 feet

Thanks,

Dave C.

From: me on
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:26:06 -0700 (PDT), "Dave C."
<cardarelli(a)c4.net> wrote:

>I have a new Photosmart C4680 All-In-One and installed it using the CD
>that came with the printer. (My older printer, Deskjet 6980 had a
>mechanical failure.) Installation version is 13.0. After
>installation, the Scan-to-PC did not function.....error stated some of
>the files needed were not installed. (Turned off antivirus through
>installations.)
>
>Uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times to no avail. HP web site offered
>the latest installation version 14.0. After uninstalling the 13.0 and
>installing the 14.0 the Scan-to PC worked OK
>
>Now I am missing a tab printer preferences/services such as nozzle
>test, etc. And I get frequent errors with messages to power cycle the
>printer, reboot the computer, etc. And the Solution Center tends to
>be glitchy.
>
>I am writing this in case anyone has some ideas as to what might be
>going on. Hate to say this, but by the end of the week, it is going
>back to the retailer.
>
>(Had the same problems with a F4400 which I returned a few weeks ago.)
>
>Dell PC, XP Pro, SP2, Explorer browser, USB cable length 6 feet

Are you explicitly following the installation instructions? Some
devices need the SW loaded prior to being recognised by the computer
and others need the device first to be recognized and then the SW
install started.
From: Dave C. on
On Apr 26, 4:59 pm, me <m...(a)mine.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:26:06 -0700 (PDT), "Dave C."
>

> <cardare...(a)c4.net> wrote:
> >I have a new Photosmart C4680 All-In-One and installed it using the CD
> >that came with the printer.  (My older printer, Deskjet 6980 had a
> >mechanical failure.)  Installation version is 13.0.  After
> >installation, the Scan-to-PC did not function.....error stated some of
> >the files needed were not installed. (Turned off antivirus through
> >installations.)
>
> >Uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times to no avail.  HP web site offered
> >the latest installation version 14.0.  After uninstalling the 13.0 and
> >installing the 14.0 the Scan-to PC worked OK
>
> >Now I am missing a tab printer preferences/services such as nozzle
> >test, etc.  And I get frequent errors with messages to power cycle the
> >printer, reboot the computer, etc.  And the Solution Center tends to
> >be glitchy.
>
> >I am writing this in case anyone has some ideas as to what might be
> >going on.  Hate to say this, but by the end of the week, it is going
> >back to the retailer.
>
> >(Had the same problems with a F4400 which I returned a few weeks ago.)
>
> >Dell PC, XP Pro, SP2, Explorer browser, USB cable length 6 feet
>
> Are you explicitly following the installation instructions? Some
> devices need the SW loaded prior to being recognised by the computer
> and others need the device first to be recognized and then the SW
> install started.

Hi,

The procedure is that the USB connector is not to be plugged in until
the installation screen directs to do it. This takes place about half
way through the installation. The fact that installation version 14
(vs 13) solved some of the initial problems, some problems still
remain.

As an example of a problem, in services, when I want to print a test
page, sometimes I get an error message, "Two way communication not
established...." If I exit the print request then go back to "print"
it all works OK. The tab on services for nozzle testing (and for a
few other things) does not exist as it should.

I think I have some conflict in my machine but can't figure it.

At this time, I am looking at a Brother MFC495CW all in one. I guess
I'll have to leave HP.

Thanks.

Pages: 1
Prev: Spotty Prints