From: PeoplesChoice on
I know I had the answer to this somewhere - but I can't find it. I am
connected to COX Cable and get my email through their servers. However,
when I'm traveling, I still want to get my email through Eudora. If I
change a port and a couple of other settings, I can do this. But I can't
remember the settings and I just had to rebuild my computer (that's the
reason I forgot). I think I needed to change a port from 25 to 447 - but
not sure. Could someone guide me through this? John?
From: John H Meyers on
On 6/24/2010 3:23 PM:

> I am connected to Cox Cable and get my email through their servers.
> When I'm traveling, I still want to get my email through Eudora.
>
> I think I needed to change a port from 25 to 447

"Getting" (receiving) mail is never a problem, no matter where you are;
no settings need change for receiving mail from anywhere.

It's _sending_ mail which requires any port other than spam-abused port 25,
which is most commonly blocked between different networks.

You need to know what outgoing server (and port number) Cox may provide,
which would work for your account, while you are traveling.

I suspect that you could get that info from Cox.

Then apply it in Eudora:
http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=37616

Since the entire set of standard outgoing port numbers
is 25, 587, 465, it so happens that even if you only have
the right server name, it should take no more than two guesses
to run through the entire set of normal "anywhere" port numbers (587,465)

Any "travel" port number also works from home,
so once you have eliminated port 25 from outgoing SMTP settings,
there should be no need to make any further changes,
no matter where you are.

If you ever need to send mail using a server of some other company
than your incoming account, see the second half of post #37616 (above).

If anyone's ISP provides no outgoing mail server for travelers,
use the ISP's "webmail" to send messages, with "Bcc:" copies to yourself.

From: PeoplesChoice on
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 17:07:53 -0500, John H Meyers
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On 6/24/2010 3:23 PM:
>
>> I am connected to Cox Cable and get my email through their servers.
>> When I'm traveling, I still want to get my email through Eudora.
>>
>> I think I needed to change a port from 25 to 447
>
>"Getting" (receiving) mail is never a problem, no matter where you are;
>no settings need change for receiving mail from anywhere.
>
>It's _sending_ mail which requires any port other than spam-abused port 25,
>which is most commonly blocked between different networks.
>
>You need to know what outgoing server (and port number) Cox may provide,
>which would work for your account, while you are traveling.
>
>I suspect that you could get that info from Cox.
>
>Then apply it in Eudora:
>http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=37616
>
>Since the entire set of standard outgoing port numbers
>is 25, 587, 465, it so happens that even if you only have
>the right server name, it should take no more than two guesses
>to run through the entire set of normal "anywhere" port numbers (587,465)
>
>Any "travel" port number also works from home,
>so once you have eliminated port 25 from outgoing SMTP settings,
>there should be no need to make any further changes,
>no matter where you are.
>
>If you ever need to send mail using a server of some other company
>than your incoming account, see the second half of post #37616 (above).
>
>If anyone's ISP provides no outgoing mail server for travelers,
>use the ISP's "webmail" to send messages, with "Bcc:" copies to yourself.

Thanks, John. Another question: Which option should be used with
"Secure Sockets When Sending"? 1. If available, STARTTLS, 2. Required,
Alternate Port or 3. Required, STARTTLS. I realize you know these
options, but by typing them out I can be sure I'm being clear.
Thanks........

Bob
From: John H Meyers on
On 6/24/2010 6:53 PM, Bob wrote:

> Which option should be used with "Secure Sockets When Sending"?

That depends on the outgoing server info! (port number?)
Did you bother getting that info from your ISP yet?

Did you then go to the post whose link was provided
(or any of the others it refers to,
which present the same info in several different styles),
read it, and do anything that any of them said?

It sometimes comes down to putting a check mark in a single box,
but since you've supplied no info to use to find out the answer,
I have to leave this ball in your court to complete on your own.

From: John H Meyers on
On 6/24/2010 7:48 PM:

[re sending mail while on the road]

> It sometimes comes down to putting a check mark in a single box

Or, if "Alternate Port" is already the working choice,
or if "Use...587" is already marked and working,
then there's _nothing_ to change.

If _neither_ of the above is currently set,
try the second, then try the first;
if either keeps working now,
it will also keep working on the road.

How is it possible to miss?