From: Ernie on

Running Eudora 7.1.0.9 with Win7 32-bit Home Premium...... Has
worked well for 5-6 months.... When my wife started Eudora this
morning, her In.mbx got screwed up..... Basically, all her old
messages in her inbox are gone....
If I look at her files, there is a in.mbx.001 and a
in.toc.001.... I thought I'll just rename them In.mbx and
In.toc..... Well, Eudora starts but automatically recreates a new
In.mbx with the old stuff renamed back to .001..... Any ideas how
to get her history back ???? Thanks, Ernie
From: John H Meyers on
On 6/17/2010 7:25 PM, Ernie wrote:

> Running Eudora 7.1.0.9 with Win7 32-bit Home Premium...... Has
> worked well for 5-6 months.... When my wife started Eudora this
> morning, her In.mbx got screwed up..... Basically, all her old
> messages in her inbox are gone....
> If I look at her files, there is a in.mbx.001 and a
> in.toc.001.... I thought I'll just rename them In.mbx and
> In.toc..... Well, Eudora starts but automatically recreates a new
> In.mbx with the old stuff renamed back to .001..... Any ideas how
> to get her history back ???? Thanks, Ernie

See:

http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2651hq.html

Note that new "001" (and possibly older "002") versions
will exist after each time that a mailbox is "compacted"
(the numbered versions are the original mailbox files,
prior to being compacted).

If "compacting" results in an empty mailbox,
make renamed copies of just some original (large) MBX file(s),
for which Eudora will create a new TOC file,
losing only some "status" info in the process -- in fact,
I would do this immediately, before any new compacting
loses all your older, potentially still useful MBX files.

It is best to move older mail to user-created mailboxes,
rather than let it accumulate within "In" and "Out"

About Eudora on Windows 7 (and Vista):
http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/announcement.php?a=13