From: Stuart Wineberg on
I'm using Eudora 7.1.0.9. I would like to back up my inbox every 2
months leaving the last month active and deleting the backed up
postings. Is it possible to do this and if so, can it be done
automatically?
From: John H Meyers on
On 6/16/2010 12:27 PM, Stuart Wineberg wrote:

> I'm using Eudora 7.1.0.9. I would like to back up my inbox every 2
> months leaving the last month active and deleting the backed up
> postings. Is it possible to do this and if so, can it be done
> automatically?

You can (and even should) periodically transfer old mail from "In"
to any user-created mailbox of your choosing.

"Transfer" can be via the "Transfer" menu or via drag and drop
to a mailbox icon in the ("Tools" >) "Mailboxes" window.

You could also transfer only messages which match a search
(e.g. search within "In" only for messages having at least
a given "Age" or before a selected date,
then select and transfer all of those via the "Find Messages" window).

However, since you can sort messages by date in any mailbox window,
it is just as easy to directly select all of those up to a certain date,
then transfer those in the usual and simplest fashion.

From: Han on
John H Meyers <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote in news:4C1920C3.2040208
@nomail.invalid:

> You can (and even should) periodically transfer old mail from "In"
> to any user-created mailbox of your choosing.

Since ALL of the inbox, outbox and trash box is loaded into memory when
Eudora starts, the chances of corruption of either the mbx or toc files for
those boxes increase exponentially if they aren't emptied once in a while.

Btw, I use Karen's Replicator program to copy changed mailbox files to an
external drive every night. Replicator is freeware.

--
Best regards
Han
From: John H Meyers on
On 6/17/2010 5:47 AM:

> Since ALL of the inbox, outbox and trash box is loaded into memory when
> Eudora starts, the chances of corruption of either the mbx or toc files for
> those boxes increase exponentially if they aren't emptied once in a while.

It's the TOCs of these permanent mailboxes which are kept memory resident,
which also exposes them to greater risk of corruption,
as also does the generally greater activity (including more frequent
compacting) which tends to occur in these mailboxes -- the high activity
is probably the very reason for keeping those TOCs resident in memory.

TOC size tends to grow with the number of messages, rather than their sizes,
but a large MBX file tends usually also to be accompanied by a large TOC file,
"deleted" MBX messages also contribute to more frequent compacting, and
the amount of available memory and its exposure risk varies by computer and OS,
so as a rule of thumb, we can just say "avoid accumulating a lot of mail"
in these mailboxes, without precisely defining "a lot of mail" :)

From: jj on
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 12:55:43 -0500, John H Meyers
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On 6/17/2010 5:47 AM:
>
>> Since ALL of the inbox, outbox and trash box is loaded into memory when
>> Eudora starts, the chances of corruption of either the mbx or toc files for
>> those boxes increase exponentially if they aren't emptied once in a while.
>
>TOC size tends to grow with the number of messages, rather than their sizes,
>but a large MBX file tends usually also to be accompanied by a large TOC file,
>"deleted" MBX messages also contribute to more frequent compacting, and
>the amount of available memory and its exposure risk varies by computer and OS,
>so as a rule of thumb, we can just say "avoid accumulating a lot of mail"
>in these mailboxes, without precisely defining "a lot of mail" :)

So are you guys saying it's a bad idea to compact mailboxes
frequently? I do it fairtly often, usually after moving or deleting
big blocks of mail. Should I not do this?

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Formatting
Next: Rebuild In.mbx