From: Petr Danes on
I have an update query that joins three tables, A, P & S. S & P are linked
with an inner join, P & A with an outer join from P to A. Each join is on
three fields, none of which are common between the joins. The query works
fine and displays fine in the graphic window, but throws an error message
about "The SQL statement could not be executed because it contains ambiguous
outer joins." when I attempt to switch to SQL view and throws error 3258
with the same message in VBA when I try to use code to display the SQL.

I don't get it - if there's something wrong with the query, why does it
work? If not, why won't it show the SQL?

I've done all the usual stuff, compact & repair, decompile, copy everything
to a new database - no change.

Pete

--
This e-mail address is fake, to keep spammers and their address harvesters
out of my hair. If you want to get in touch personally, I am 'pdanes' and I

From: Lynn Trapp on
Can you post the SQL?

--
Lynn Trapp
MCP, MOS, MCAS

From: John W. Vinson on
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 16:21:51 +0100, "Petr Danes" <skruspammers(a)no.spam> wrote:

>I have an update query that joins three tables, A, P & S. S & P are linked
>with an inner join, P & A with an outer join from P to A. Each join is on
>three fields, none of which are common between the joins. The query works
>fine and displays fine in the graphic window, but throws an error message
>about "The SQL statement could not be executed because it contains ambiguous
>outer joins." when I attempt to switch to SQL view and throws error 3258
>with the same message in VBA when I try to use code to display the SQL.
>
>I don't get it - if there's something wrong with the query, why does it
>work? If not, why won't it show the SQL?
>
>I've done all the usual stuff, compact & repair, decompile, copy everything
>to a new database - no change.
>
>Pete

Sometimes if a query has two outer joins - probably especially if they're
multifield joins - you'll need to base a query on another query. Create a
query joining tables P and S, and then join A *to that Query* rather than
trying to do it all in one query.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Petr Danes on
> Can you post the SQL?

No, I can't. Again:

From: Petr Danes on

"John W. Vinson" <jvinson(a)STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> p�se v diskusn�m
pr�spevku news:rd3sl51r21bg7aggobqcb4cemcva8n70ac(a)4ax.com...
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 16:21:51 +0100, "Petr Danes" <skruspammers(a)no.spam>
> wrote:
>
>>I have an update query that joins three tables, A, P & S. S & P are linked
>>with an inner join, P & A with an outer join from P to A. Each join is on
>>three fields, none of which are common between the joins. The query works
>>fine and displays fine in the graphic window, but throws an error message
>>about "The SQL statement could not be executed because it contains
>>ambiguous
>>outer joins." when I attempt to switch to SQL view and throws error 3258
>>with the same message in VBA when I try to use code to display the SQL.
>>
>>I don't get it - if there's something wrong with the query, why does it
>>work? If not, why won't it show the SQL?
>>
>>I've done all the usual stuff, compact & repair, decompile, copy
>>everything
>>to a new database - no change.
>>
>>Pete
>
> Sometimes if a query has two outer joins - probably especially if they're
> multifield joins - you'll need to base a query on another query. Create a
> query joining tables P and S, and then join A *to that Query* rather than
> trying to do it all in one query.
> --
>
> John W. Vinson [MVP]

Yes, I can do that, to be sure. But again, the query WORKS. It displays fine
in the QBE view, it just won't allow me to view the SQL, either in the query
view window or by VBA code. All the parts are there, since it does what it's
supposed to. I can add or delete fields in the QBE view and everything
continues to work fine. I even deleted all the fields from the query at one
point, thinking that I must have had a goofy expression hidden somewhere -
still nothing. All is functional, I just can't see the SQL.

Pete

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Nested views