From: Edward Green on
On Aug 11, 3:07 pm, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
wrote:

<...>

> A rod pushed in front of a rocket will *initially* compress to
> a length that is less than its equilibrium length, but then will
> expand to eventually settle down to its equilibrium length.
>
> A rod pulled behind a rocket will *initially* stretch to a length
> that is greater than its equilibrium length, but will then contract
> to its equilibrium length.

Well, obviously assuming no permanent plastic deformation, and also
that the acceleration eventually stops. Although by "equilibrium
length" I suppose we could also mean the new equilibrium length if the
rod suffered permanent deformation.
From: Androcles on

"Edward Green" <spamspamspam3(a)netzero.com> wrote in message
| On Aug 12, 3:33 pm, harald <h...(a)swissonline.ch> wrote:
| > On Aug 12, 3:37 pm, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
| > wrote:
| <...>
| > Nice, everything you write looks quite perfect - until the logical
| > glitch right at the end.
| >
| > I would improve it as follows (which is certainly not by chance closer
| > to the way Einstein put it!):
| >
| > "If the laws of physics possess a certain kind of symmetry, then there
| > is nothing special about that frame for the laws of physics."
| >
| > A minor change? Not really! Compare:
| >
| > "If a picture is a perfect copy of a painting, then there is nothing
| > special about the painting."
| >
| > with:
| >
| > "If a picture is a perfect copy of a painting, then there is nothing
| > special about the painting for imaging purposes."
|
| I don't really understand your... watchamacallit: simile? analogy?
|
| Anyway, even if there is nothing special about a certain frame, we can
| always construct a complete description of events from that frame,
| which can be a very powerful point of view, I think. As Bell would
| have said: in eliminating certain modes of thinking which were wrong,
| we also forgot some which are right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAIZRVeGJd4
Watch from 4:41 minutes into the sequence and tell me all frames are
the same.