From: Uncle Ben on
An apology to Androcles

I had thought that the Einstein Expansion, proclaimed by Androcles in
sci.physics.relativity, was an error of confusing frames of
reference. But I was wrong.

In his 1905 relativity paper, Einstein showed that x' = xi/gamma,
where x' is the length of a moving rod with respect to a stationary
frame of reference K and xi is the length of the moving rod with
respect to a frame k comoving with it. My difference with Androcles
was that I claimed that xi is the proper length L of the rod and the
shorter x' is a contracted length L/gamma.

I thought that Androcles had these two backward. But no, he has
persuaded me otherwise; He agrees that x' is shorter than xi, but he
insists that x' is L and xi is an expanded length Lgamma. The proper
length of the rod in k increases because of the existence of another
frame of reference K moving with respect to it. (This other frame K is
called the "stationary" frame in Einstein's paper, but it can be
considered moving the other way with respect to the rest frame k of
the rod.)

This startling fresh idea would never have occurred to me without
Androcles's guidance.

It seems strange that a nearby frame of reference K, by its relative
motion, can expand a rod with respect to the rod's own proper frame k,
while the rod maintains a constant length with respect to K itself.

Imagine me in a Concorde (k) flying over you on the ground (K) sucking
on my cigar that had length L when I bought it. It seems strange that
to you the cigar has length L, but because I am flying within your
frame of reference, my cigar is Lgamma long. In fact, because of your
frame of reference, the Concord is stretched by gamma for me but not
for you. I have no idea why my cigar is now longer, because I have no
idea that you are down there.

It seems odd, doesn't it. Perhaps Androcles will explain it to us.

Uncle Ben
From: Androcles on

"Uncle Ben" <ben(a)greenba.com> wrote in message
| An apology to Androcles
|
| I had thought that the Einstein Expansion, proclaimed by Androcles in
| sci.physics.relativity, was an error of confusing frames of
| reference. But I was wrong.
|
| In his 1905 relativity paper, Einstein showed that x' = xi/gamma,
| where x' is the length of a moving rod with respect to a stationary
| frame of reference K and xi is the length of the moving rod with
| respect to a frame k comoving with it. My difference with Androcles
| was that I claimed that xi is the proper length L of the rod and the
| shorter x' is a contracted length L/gamma.
|
| I thought that Androcles had these two backward. But no, he has
| persuaded me otherwise; He agrees that x' is shorter than xi, but he
| insists that x' is L and xi is an expanded length Lgamma. The proper
| length of the rod in k increases because of the existence of another
| frame of reference K moving with respect to it. (This other frame K is
| called the "stationary" frame in Einstein's paper, but it can be
| considered moving the other way with respect to the rest frame k of
| the rod.)
|
| This startling fresh idea would never have occurred to me without
| Androcles's guidance.
|
| It seems strange that a nearby frame of reference K, by its relative
| motion, can expand a rod with respect to the rod's own proper frame k,
| while the rod maintains a constant length with respect to K itself.
|
| Imagine me in a Concorde (k) flying over you on the ground (K) sucking
| on my cigar that had length L when I bought it. It seems strange that
| to you the cigar has length L, but because I am flying within your
| frame of reference, my cigar is Lgamma long. In fact, because of your
| frame of reference, the Concord is stretched by gamma for me but not
| for you. I have no idea why my cigar is now longer, because I have no
| idea that you are down there.
|
| It seems odd, doesn't it. Perhaps Androcles will explain it to us.
|
| Uncle Ben

Concorde's length increases, it has two skins like a Dewar flask.
The outer skin expands by up to 8 inches due to friction with the air,
not by gamma. The gap between the skins, although not a vacuum, is
an insulating layer to maintain internal cabin temperature.

As to your cigar, there is only one thing that you need explained, and
you won't like it.
You've been conned by the joker Einstein. He was conned when he
was a teenager and he resented it. He was cunning enough to remember
how it was done, though.
http://www.jimloy.com/geometry/every.htm
First published by W. W. Rouse Ball in 1892, when Einstein was 13
years old and had no radio, TV, Playstation or MP3 player. Instead
he had a violin, a bicycle, magazines and newspapers. He read a lot.

He took Rouse Ball's triangle and made the hypotenuse the same
length as the adjacent. To do that he used speed as the legs of the
triangle and divided the distances by two different times, t and tau,
to give the same speed for each leg. The opposite was v.
By Pythagoras, the square on the hypotenuse equals the sum of
the squares on the other two sides.
(hyp * tau)^2 = (adj * t)^2 + (opp * t)^2, or c^2 = c^2 + v^2.

This was snug fit with contemporary sci-fi of 1895.
'Really, this is what is meant by the Fourth Dimension, though some
people who talk about the Fourth Dimension do not know they mean
it. It is only another way of looking at Time. There is no difference
between Time and any of the three dimensions of Space except that
our consciousness moves along with it.' -- Herbert George Wells,
-- "The Time Machine" -- 1895.

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." --Einstein

Einstein was now 16. He failed the entrance exam that would have
allowed him to study for a diploma as an electrical engineer at the
Eidgen�ssische Technische Hochschule in Zurich. He resented that,
too.
It takes him ten years, now he's working in the Swiss Patent office
looking at applications for patents for new types of cuckoo-clocks,
and he still has a hard-on for fooling around with time, but eventually
he has his triangle paper with the different time on the hypotenuse
sufficiently complicated to pass muster and get published. It was
rejected at first, he had to build in some length expansion to agree
with Lorentz's contraction, but it was inverted.
So, Bonehead... was he a cunning cookie but a charlatan with a
sociopathic mentality bordering on the criminal, or just plain idiot
savant?
You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people
all of the time. You know the rest.
I'll admit it, I was fooled at first too. He did fool me some of the time.
Did he fool himself or did he succeed in fooling others while chortling
his way to Princeton? I'll tell you something. He had a tiger by the tail
and could never let it go or it would rip him to shreds. Nobody is perfect.

Your cigar gets shorter because you burn it, not Einstein shines a
light on it or Lorentz blows aether at it.

The only thing you need accept is that the speed of light is source
dependent, and there are stars out there screaming at us to sit up
and take notice of that very simple fact. But nobody looks up except
astronomers and they are like a crowd at a firework display saying
"Oooo... Ahhhh... How pretty...".
The evidence is there. LOOK at this curve. Study it. And then explain
it.
http://www.britastro.org/vss/gifc/00918-ck.gif
This is the explanation:
http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Doolin'sStar.GIF

From: mpc755 on
On Jul 30, 3:10 pm, Uncle Ben <b...(a)greenba.com> wrote:
> An apology to Androcles
>
> I had thought that the Einstein Expansion, proclaimed by Androcles in
> sci.physics.relativity, was an error of confusing frames of
> reference.  But I was wrong.
>
> In his 1905 relativity paper, Einstein showed that x' = xi/gamma,
> where x' is the length of a moving rod with respect to a stationary
> frame of reference K and xi is the length of the moving rod with
> respect to a frame k comoving with it. My difference with Androcles
> was that I claimed that xi is the proper length L of the rod and the
> shorter x' is a contracted length L/gamma.
>
> I thought that Androcles had these two backward.  But no, he has
> persuaded me otherwise;  He agrees that x' is shorter than xi, but he
> insists that x' is L and xi is an expanded length Lgamma.  The proper
> length of the rod in k increases because of the existence of another
> frame of reference K moving with respect to it. (This other frame K is
> called the "stationary" frame in Einstein's paper, but it can be
> considered moving the other way with respect to the rest frame k of
> the rod.)
>
> This startling fresh idea would never have occurred to me without
> Androcles's guidance.
>
> It seems strange that a nearby frame of reference K, by its relative
> motion, can expand a rod with respect to the rod's own proper frame k,
> while the rod maintains a constant length with respect to K itself.
>
> Imagine me in a Concorde (k) flying over you on the ground (K) sucking
> on my cigar that had length L when I bought it. It seems strange that
> to you the cigar has length L, but because  I am flying within your
> frame of reference, my cigar is Lgamma long.  In fact, because of your
> frame of reference, the Concord is stretched by gamma for me but not
> for you. I have no idea why my cigar is now longer, because I have no
> idea that you are down there.
>
> It seems odd, doesn't it.  Perhaps Androcles will explain it to us.
>
> Uncle Ben

In this rare instance of someone abandoning their constant delusional
denial state of existence, any chance you can take it a step further
and answer the following?

Will the ripple eventually reach the Earth? If not then why not?

'Hubble Finds Ghostly Ring of Dark Matter'
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/news/dark_matter_ring_feature.html

"Astronomers using NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope got a first-hand view
of how dark matter behaves during a titanic collision between two
galaxy clusters. The wreck created a ripple of dark matter, which is
somewhat similar to a ripple formed in a pond when a rock hits the
water."

The ripple will eventually reach the Earth and this is evidence dark
matter exists from the galaxy cluster to the Earth. This is evidence
dark matter is the medium of space in which light waves propagate.

Pressure exerted towards matter by dark matter displaced by the matter
is gravity.
From: Uncle Ben on
On Jul 30, 8:34 pm, mpc755 <mpc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> denial state of existence, any chance you can take it a step further
> and answer the following?
>
> Will the ripple eventually reach the Earth? If not then why not?
>
> 'Hubble Finds Ghostly Ring of Dark Matter'http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/news/dark_matter_ring_featur...
>
> "Astronomers using NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope got a first-hand view
> of how dark matter behaves during a titanic collision between two
> galaxy clusters. The wreck created a ripple of dark matter, which is
> somewhat similar to a ripple formed in a pond when a rock hits the
> water."
>
> The ripple will eventually reach the Earth and this is evidence dark
> matter exists from the galaxy cluster to the Earth. This is evidence
> dark matter is the medium of space in which light waves propagate.
>
> Pressure exerted towards matter by dark matter displaced by the matter

I have no idea, and this thread is abought the Einstein Expansion.
From: blackhead on
On 31 July, 01:46, Uncle Ben <b...(a)greenba.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > 'Hubble Finds Ghostly Ring of Dark Matter'http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/news/dark_matter_ring_featur...
>
> > "Astronomers using NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope got a first-hand view
> > of how dark matter behaves during a titanic collision between two
> > galaxy clusters. The wreck created a ripple of dark matter, which is
> > somewhat similar to a ripple formed in a pond when a rock hits the
> > water."
>
> > The ripple will eventually reach the Earth and this is evidence dark
> > matter exists from the galaxy cluster to the Earth. This is evidence
> > dark matter is the medium of space in which light waves propagate.
>
> > Pressure exerted towards matter by dark matter displaced by the matter
> > is gravity.- Hide quoted text -

> I have no idea, and this thread is abought the Einstein Expansion.- Hide quoted text -

Androcles rechristened the space LT as "Einstein's expansion" formula:

xi = x'/sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2) with x' = x-vt

Used correctly, it transforms x coordinates of the same event between
different frames, not lengths directly. Androcles plugs in lengths for
xi, x' without considering what's involved in measuring a length. For
a start, it involves measuring space coordinates at the *same* time
and subtracting them from one another to get a length, if it's moving
in that frame. If the end points remain at the same locations for all
time, then simultaneity doesn't matter.