From: Helmut Wabnig hwabnig on
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 19:08:20 +0100, "Androcles"
<Headmaster(a)Hogwarts.physics_z> wrote:

>"Helmut Wabnig" <hwabnig@ .- --- -. dotat> wrote in message
>| On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 12:40:44 +0100, "Androcles"
>| <Headmaster(a)Hogwarts.physics_z> wrote:
>|

>| >"Helmut Wabnig" <hwabnig@ .- --- -. dotat> wrote in message
>| >|

>| >|
>| >|

>| >Not difficult to understand, Wabnigga.
>| >c = limit as h tends to zero of [f(x+h) - f(x)] / h
>| >
>| >"Hence if x' be taken infinitesimally small" -- Einstein.
>| >"the velocity of light in our theory plays the part, physically, of an
>| >infinitely great velocity". -- Einstein.
>| >t = x/c = (not much)/infinity = 0.
>| >tau = integral [dtau/dt].dt for t = 0 to 0.
>| >
>| >The boneheaded trolls never had the ability to reason and never learned
>| >mathematics.
>| >Einstein divided by zero, ewe cretin.
>| >

>| Androcles, the educationally subnormal.
>|
>| Calculating "limits" has nothing to do with DIVISION BY ZERO!
>| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limit_of_a_function
>|

>| Andro, this has been explained to you a zillion times:
>| http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LHospitalsRule.html
>|

>| No division by Zero,
>| Andro!
>|
>| NO DIVISION BY ZERO,
>| Androcles!
>|
>| N O D I V I S I ON B Y Z E R O
>| Mr. Androcles!
>|
>| M I S T E R A N D R O C L E S !!!!
>|
>| w.
>
>"Hence if x' be taken infinitesimally small" -- Einstein.
> That's not L'Hospital's Rule!!!!!!!!!!
>What's that for, Missus Fuckwad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ?

c = limit as h tends to zero of [f(x+h) - f(x)] / h

No division by zero

"Hence if x' be taken infinitesimally small" -- Einstein.
t = x/c = (not much)/infinity = 0.

No division by zero.

Where does Herr Androcles see a division by zero?

w.
From: harald on
On Jul 30, 9:10 pm, Uncle Ben <b...(a)greenba.com> wrote:
> An apology to Androcles
>
> I had thought that the Einstein Expansion, proclaimed by Androcles in
> sci.physics.relativity, was an error of confusing
> frames of reference.  But I was wrong.

I had not followed that particular discussion, but it's about a known
topic. See below, you may be surprised!

> In his 1905 relativity paper, Einstein showed that x' = xi/gamma,
> where x' is the length of a moving rod with respect to a stationary
> frame of reference K and xi is the length of the moving rod with
> respect to a frame k comoving with it.

Note: In that paper, x' is a *value* that corresponds to a *point* co-
moving with the moving system, as measured with the stationary
coordinate system. However, that value x' also corresponds to a moving
*distance* with respect to the stationary system, that has the
endpoints O' and xi on the moving system. Similarly the value of xi
corresponds to a length as measured with the moving system.

> My difference with Androcles
> was that I claimed that xi is the proper length L of the rod and the
> shorter x' is a contracted length L/gamma.

x' is a value that corresponds to a moving distance along X as
measured in the stationary system K. Einstein does not designate a rod
with length "L" to that distance, but he does do so for a similar
measurement along Y.

> I thought that Androcles had these two backward.  But no, he has
> persuaded me otherwise;  He agrees that x' is shorter than xi, but he
> insists that x' is L and xi is an expanded length Lgamma.

Indeed, "L" is used by Einstein for distances as measured in the
*stationary* system. That is also common practice in textbook
derivations such as by Alonso&Finn which has L=L'/gamma, so that the
co-moving length L'= L*gamma. L' is equal to the "proper" length L0 of
a co-moving rod.

> The proper
> length of the rod in k increases because of the existence of another
> frame of reference K moving with respect to it.

I beg you pardon? The proper length of a rod cannot be affected by
another reference frame, but it is clear from what follows that you
are joking.

> (This other frame K is
> called the "stationary" frame in Einstein's paper, but it can be
> considered moving the other way with respect to the
> rest frame k of the rod.)
>
> This startling fresh idea would never have occurred to
> me without Androcles's guidance.
>
> It seems strange that a nearby frame of reference K, by its relative
> motion, can expand a rod with respect to the rod's own proper frame k,
> while the rod maintains a constant length with respect to K itself.

With a contracted ruler you measure a length L as gamma*L; that can be
confusing but there is nothing strange about it!

> Imagine me in a Concorde (k) flying over you on the ground (K) sucking
> on my cigar that had length L when I bought it. It seems strange that
> to you the cigar has length L, but because  I am flying within your
> frame of reference, my cigar is Lgamma long.  In fact, because of your
> frame of reference, the Concord is stretched by gamma for me but not
> for you. I have no idea why my cigar is now longer, because I have no
> idea that you are down there.
>
> It seems odd, doesn't it.  Perhaps Androcles will explain it to us.

You confused coordinate length with proper length; on this point
Androcles was right (surprise!).

Regards,

Harald
From: harald on
[Correction, as I had overlooked a "phi":]

On Jul 30, 9:10 pm, Uncle Ben <b...(a)greenba.com> wrote:

> An apology to Androcles

> I had thought that the Einstein Expansion, proclaimed by Androcles in
> sci.physics.relativity, was an error of confusing
> frames of reference. But I was wrong.

I had not followed that particular discussion, but it's about a known
topic. See below, you may be surprised!

> In his 1905 relativity paper, Einstein showed that x' = xi/gamma,
> where x' is the length of a moving rod with respect to a stationary
> frame of reference K and xi is the length of the moving rod with
> respect to a frame k comoving with it.

Note: In that paper, x' is a *value* that corresponds to a *point* co-
moving with the moving system, as measured with the stationary
coordinate system. However, that value x' also corresponds to a moving
*distance* with respect to the stationary system, that has the
endpoints O' and xi on the moving system. Similarly the value of xi
corresponds to a length as measured with the moving system.

> My difference with Androcles
> was that I claimed that xi is the proper length L of the rod and the
> shorter x' is a contracted length L/gamma.

x' is a value that corresponds to a moving distance along X as
measured in the stationary system K. Einstein does not designate a rod
with length L to such a distance; instead he does designate a rod with
length L/phi for a similar measurement along Y.

> I thought that Androcles had these two backward. But no, he has
> persuaded me otherwise; He agrees that x' is shorter than xi, but he
> insists that x' is L and xi is an expanded length Lgamma.

No, L is used by Einstein for the "proper" length of a stationary rod
as measured in a co-moving system. That differs from common, modern
practice in textbook derivations in which the proper, co-moving length
is indicated with L0, and L is used for the moving length as measured
in the stationary system.

> The proper
> length of the rod in k increases because of the existence of another
> frame of reference K moving with respect to it.

I beg you pardon? The proper length of a rod cannot be affected by
another reference frame, but it is clear from what follows that you
are joking.

> (This other frame K is
> called the "stationary" frame in Einstein's paper, but it can be
> considered moving the other way with respect to the
> rest frame k of the rod.)

> This startling fresh idea would never have occurred to
> me without Androcles's guidance.

> It seems strange that a nearby frame of reference K, by its relative
> motion, can expand a rod with respect to the rod's own proper frame k,
> while the rod maintains a constant length with respect to K itself.

With a contracted ruler you measure a length L as gamma*L; that can be
confusing but there is nothing strange about it!

Textbooks such as by Alonso&Finn put L=L'/gamma, so that the co-moving
length L'= L*gamma. Einstein did not use that notation, but there is
nothing wrong with it (nor is it a "fresh" idea).

> Imagine me in a Concorde (k) flying over you on the ground (K) sucking
> on my cigar that had length L when I bought it. It seems strange that
> to you the cigar has length L, but because I am flying within your
> frame of reference, my cigar is Lgamma long. In fact, because of your
> frame of reference, the Concord is stretched by gamma for me but not
> for you. I have no idea why my cigar is now longer, because I have no
> idea that you are down there.

> It seems odd, doesn't it. Perhaps Androcles will explain it to us.

Androcles doesn't need to explain what textbooks already explained
(surprise!).

Regards,
Harald
From: Uncle Ben on
On Aug 4, 6:27 am, harald <h...(a)swissonline.ch> wrote:
> [...]
> confusing but there is nothing strange about it!
>
> Textbooks such as by Alonso&Finn put L=L'/gamma, so that the co-moving
> length L'= L*gamma. Einstein did not use that notation, but there is
> nothing wrong with it (nor is it a "fresh" idea).
>
> > Imagine me in a Concorde (k) flying over you on the ground (K) sucking
> > on my cigar that had length L when I bought it. It seems strange that
> > to you the cigar has length L, but because  I am flying within your
> > frame of reference, my cigar is Lgamma long.  In fact, because of your
> > frame of reference, the Concord is stretched by gamma for me but not
> > for you. I have no idea why my cigar is now longer, because I have no
> > idea that you are down there.
> > It seems odd, doesn't it.  Perhaps Androcles will explain it to us.
>
> Androcles doesn't need to explain what textbooks already explained

Harald, turn on your satire detector.

Cheers!

Ben
From: Androcles on

"Uncle Ben" <ben(a)greenba.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> confusing but there is nothing strange about it!
>
> Textbooks such as by Alonso&Finn put L=L'/gamma, so that the co-moving
> length L'= L*gamma. Einstein did not use that notation, but there is
> nothing wrong with it (nor is it a "fresh" idea).
>
> > Imagine me in a Concorde (k) flying over you on the ground (K) sucking
> > on my cigar that had length L when I bought it. It seems strange that
> > to you the cigar has length L, but because I am flying within your
> > frame of reference, my cigar is Lgamma long. In fact, because of your
> > frame of reference, the Concord is stretched by gamma for me but not
> > for you. I have no idea why my cigar is now longer, because I have no
> > idea that you are down there.
> > It seems odd, doesn't it. Perhaps Androcles will explain it to us.
>
> Androcles doesn't need to explain what textbooks already explained

-----------------
"We imagine further that at the two ends A and B of the rod, clocks are
placed which synchronize with the clocks of the stationary system"... not to
be confused with the other two ends of the rod of length L, namely 0 and
x, or the ends of the moving rod of length L', namely 0' and x', or the
other
moving rod of length lambda, namely 0 and xi. Your god seems to have
plagiarised more than one paper if the way he confuses his variables is
anything to go by.

Lambda = L' * gamma. How amusing. I'm so glad everybody knows that is the
"Lorentz contraction". EVERYBODY!

So you concede defeat and have decided to shut up, don't have the integrity
to admit it, yet have the cunning intelligence of the herd animal to seek
the
centre of the flock, knowing the wolf will take its prey from the periphery.