From: R on
Motherboard: P5K-E Wifi. Several drives, mostly Seagate.

Recently a new bug has started up. No change of hardware or software
that I can imagine would cause this:

The system locks up for a minute (or several). No keyboard response,
no mouse moves. Then comes back for a few seconds, but locks up
again. Rebooting fixes this temporarily.

Event viewer has a ton of error logs. Two that alternate:

"The device, \Device\Scsi\JRAID1, did not respond within the timeout
period."

followed by:
"An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk6\D during a paging
operation."

No drives are configured for RAID.

Drives were scanned with Seatools. No errors.

Anyone know what might else cause this?
From: R on
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 08:16:48 -0500, Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:

>R wrote:
>> The system locks up for a minute (or several). No keyboard response,
>> no mouse moves. Then comes back for a few seconds, but locks up
>> again. Rebooting fixes this temporarily.
>>
>> Event viewer has a ton of error logs. Two that alternate:
>>
>> "The device, \Device\Scsi\JRAID1, did not respond within the timeout
>> period."
>>
>> followed by:
>> "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk6\D during a paging
>> operation."

>SCSI\JRAID is a reference to a storage device connected to the
>Jmicron JMB363. A pseudo-SCSI software interface is used, for
>devices other than some of the Southbridge ports.
>
>http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1655&l1=3&l2=11&l3=534&l4=0
>
>The Harddisk6 on the other hand, could be a disk on the Southbridge,
>such as a SATA interface. (I still haven't found a reference, that
>explains the letter "D". It won't be the D: drive, if that is what
>you're thinking.)

Those messages are in pairs, with the JRAID message first, then the
\device\...harddisk6 message. I'll get about 20 pairs that say
Harddisk6, but sometimes it's Harddisk7.

I normally use Disk Mgmt to find drive-to-numeric mapping, and have
tested the drives that map to 6 and 7. No problems reported by
Seatools' long scan.

>It sounds like something caused the machine to freeze, such that
>some disk I/O timed out without completing. So the error messages
>are a side effect of whatever happened.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe the two drives happen to come
through one channel somewhere (hardware or driver, etc) that is
getting blocked.

This just started recently though. The system and drives have been in
place for months.

> It is even possible, that
>in the middle of doing some I/O, that the kernel sat there
>waiting for some operation to complete, which means other
>important activities timed out in the intervening period.
>(The kernel is not supposed to do that, by the way.)

You'd think not. <g> Unfortunately, I've found that message in Google
searches, but very little in the way of replies or solutions. That's
not a good indicator. Could be that this is caused by an obscure
driver or kernel bug?

>If you're jammed up for five seconds, that might be
>enough for some disk I/O to fail and get logged. And
>the logging can only work, if it becomes unstuck again.

It jams for up to several minutes, but then comes back for about 15
seconds or so. It does look like some kind of low-level lock or retry
mechanism. Even if it were a purely hardware-based problem, two
different drives were reported, which seems an unlikely coincidence.

Thanks for your reply, Paul. Any further ideas about tracking this
down?
From: Oldish Git on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
>R wrote:
>> Motherboard: P5K-E Wifi. Several drives, mostly Seagate.
>>
>> Recently a new bug has started up. No change of hardware or software
>> that I can imagine would cause this:
>>
>> The system locks up for a minute (or several). No keyboard response,
>> no mouse moves. Then comes back for a few seconds, but locks up
>> again. Rebooting fixes this temporarily.
>>
>> Event viewer has a ton of error logs. Two that alternate:
>>
>> "The device, \Device\Scsi\JRAID1, did not respond within the timeout
>> period."
>>
>> followed by:
>> "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk6\D during a paging
>> operation."
>>
>> No drives are configured for RAID.
>>
>> Drives were scanned with Seatools. No errors.
>>
>> Anyone know what might else cause this?
>
> SCSI\JRAID is a reference to a storage device connected to the
> Jmicron JMB363. A pseudo-SCSI software interface is used, for
> devices other than some of the Southbridge ports.
>
> http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1655&l1=3&l2=11&l3=534&l4=0
>
> The Harddisk6 on the other hand, could be a disk on the Southbridge,
> such as a SATA interface. (I still haven't found a reference, that
> explains the letter "D". It won't be the D: drive, if that is what
> you're thinking.)
>
> It sounds like something caused the machine to freeze, such that
> some disk I/O timed out without completing. So the error messages
> are a side effect of whatever happened. It is even possible, that
> in the middle of doing some I/O, that the kernel sat there
> waiting for some operation to complete, which means other
> important activities timed out in the intervening period.
> (The kernel is not supposed to do that, by the way.)
> If you're jammed up for five seconds, that might be
> enough for some disk I/O to fail and get logged. And
> the logging can only work, if it becomes unstuck again.

I agree, something interrupting the dataflow from a drive, it seems.
I've seen bad/loose SATA cables cause similar issues, which rather
surprised me. A dry joint on a drive or mobo SATA connector possible,
too, especially if it seems temperature dependent.
OP could try swapping the SATA cables over and see if the fault moves
or changes, as a quickie.

HTH,
--
Rob

From: ChrisH on
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 15:07:53 -0500, R <R(a)nospam.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 08:16:48 -0500, Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:
>
>>R wrote:
>>> The system locks up for a minute (or several). No keyboard response,
>>> no mouse moves. Then comes back for a few seconds, but locks up
>>> again. Rebooting fixes this temporarily.
>>>
>>> Event viewer has a ton of error logs. Two that alternate:
>>>
>>> "The device, \Device\Scsi\JRAID1, did not respond within the timeout
>>> period."
>>>
>>> followed by:
>>> "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk6\D during a paging
>>> operation."
>
>>SCSI\JRAID is a reference to a storage device connected to the
>>Jmicron JMB363. A pseudo-SCSI software interface is used, for
>>devices other than some of the Southbridge ports.
>>
>>http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1655&l1=3&l2=11&l3=534&l4=0
>>
>>The Harddisk6 on the other hand, could be a disk on the Southbridge,
>>such as a SATA interface. (I still haven't found a reference, that
>>explains the letter "D". It won't be the D: drive, if that is what
>>you're thinking.)
>
>Those messages are in pairs, with the JRAID message first, then the
>\device\...harddisk6 message. I'll get about 20 pairs that say
>Harddisk6, but sometimes it's Harddisk7.
>
>I normally use Disk Mgmt to find drive-to-numeric mapping, and have
>tested the drives that map to 6 and 7. No problems reported by
>Seatools' long scan.
>
>>It sounds like something caused the machine to freeze, such that
>>some disk I/O timed out without completing. So the error messages
>>are a side effect of whatever happened.
>
>That's what I was thinking. Maybe the two drives happen to come
>through one channel somewhere (hardware or driver, etc) that is
>getting blocked.
>
>This just started recently though. The system and drives have been in
>place for months.
>
>> It is even possible, that
>>in the middle of doing some I/O, that the kernel sat there
>>waiting for some operation to complete, which means other
>>important activities timed out in the intervening period.
>>(The kernel is not supposed to do that, by the way.)
>
>You'd think not. <g> Unfortunately, I've found that message in Google
>searches, but very little in the way of replies or solutions. That's
>not a good indicator. Could be that this is caused by an obscure
>driver or kernel bug?
>
>>If you're jammed up for five seconds, that might be
>>enough for some disk I/O to fail and get logged. And
>>the logging can only work, if it becomes unstuck again.
>
>It jams for up to several minutes, but then comes back for about 15
>seconds or so. It does look like some kind of low-level lock or retry
>mechanism. Even if it were a purely hardware-based problem, two
>different drives were reported, which seems an unlikely coincidence.
>
>Thanks for your reply, Paul. Any further ideas about tracking this
>down?

I had this issue intermittent for 12 months, in my case the affected
drives were situated on one of two Promise SATA connectors (ASUS A8V
running WinXP). Tried everything I could think of to resolve it but no
reall success. Moving the pagefile onto a drive not connected to these
ports helped, but did not eliminate the problem. I spent some time
looking for Promise driver upgrades without success.

Upgraded the PC now but have rebuilt a second computer using the
original A8V mobbo, CPU,Memory, a couple of the drives, and Vista32.
No reappearance of the issue yet despite using the same SATA ports.

From: Craig Sutton on

"ChrisH" <Me(a)home.net> wrote in message
> [...]
>>mechanism. Even if it were a purely hardware-based problem, two
>>different drives were reported, which seems an unlikely coincidence.
>>
>>Thanks for your reply, Paul. Any further ideas about tracking this
>>down?
>
> I had this issue intermittent for 12 months, in my case the affected
> drives were situated on one of two Promise SATA connectors (ASUS A8V
> running WinXP). Tried everything I could think of to resolve it but no
> reall success. Moving the pagefile onto a drive not connected to these
> ports helped, but did not eliminate the problem. I spent some time
> looking for Promise driver upgrades without success.
>
> Upgraded the PC now but have rebuilt a second computer using the
> original A8V mobbo, CPU,Memory, a couple of the drives, and Vista32.
> No reappearance of the issue yet despite using the same SATA ports.

Try this go in devicemanager remove the CD/DVD device.

Shutdown the pc power it OFF at the back switch

Open the pc and pull out the ide/sata cable for the dvd/cd drive

switch machine all back on

wait until vista is loaded up, check in the event viewer see if the error
has gone.

Shutdown the pc, power it off reconnect the sata/ide DVD/cd cable

Power back on and startup the machine.

DVD/CD should redetected by windows.

See if the errors are still coming up in the eventviewer!

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: P4S8X beeps Hi-Lo-Hi-Lo
Next: M2A-VM with Firewire