From: Christoph Kukulies on
Have swpped an ASUS P4S8X into a new box. BTW, found that the board
deforms quite heavily under the load of the CPU cooler press down force
and had to put a rubber bumper under the board so that it wouldn't touch
the sheet metal bottom. Hope it didn't suffer any damage meanwhile.

Anyway, what is new now is that I have put a P4 3.0 GHz (or is it 3.02
or 3.2? - not sure at the moment when writing this) in it and put in two
1GB Ram bars (Samsung PC3200U-30331-EO 1GB DDR PC3200 CL3) into it.

Also I in lack of a better graphics card a Matrox G200 AGB is in it.

No keyboard is connected yet but I was hoping to get a BIOS screean at
the least.
Instead the only thing what happens after powering on is a alternating
beep, starting 0.5 sec HI, 0.5 sec LO (an octave, FWIW), roughly.

What could be wrong. Any source for the beep codes somewhere?

From: Paul on
Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> Have swpped an ASUS P4S8X into a new box. BTW, found that the board
> deforms quite heavily under the load of the CPU cooler press down force
> and had to put a rubber bumper under the board so that it wouldn't touch
> the sheet metal bottom. Hope it didn't suffer any damage meanwhile.
>
> Anyway, what is new now is that I have put a P4 3.0 GHz (or is it 3.02
> or 3.2? - not sure at the moment when writing this) in it and put in two
> 1GB Ram bars (Samsung PC3200U-30331-EO 1GB DDR PC3200 CL3) into it.
>
> Also I in lack of a better graphics card a Matrox G200 AGB is in it.
>
> No keyboard is connected yet but I was hoping to get a BIOS screean at
> the least.
> Instead the only thing what happens after powering on is a alternating
> beep, starting 0.5 sec HI, 0.5 sec LO (an octave, FWIW), roughly.
>
> What could be wrong. Any source for the beep codes somewhere?
>

> --
> Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kukulies (at) rwth-aachen.de

Vcore out of spec ? CPU Overheat ? Something to do with the
hardware monitor ?

You shouldn't flex a motherboard too much, because you can
break the BGA solder joints. I've run into situations where
the heatsink cam lever was exerting too much force (I could
not close it), so I replaced the retail heatsink with an
after-market heatsink. I've used a couple CNPS7000 Zalman
ones, because those screw into place. And you can adjust
the screws for just the right amount of pressure.

Beep codes can be found on bioscentral.com .

http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

Paul
From: Kent_Diego on
> ....Instead the only thing what happens after powering on is a alternating
> beep, starting 0.5 sec HI, 0.5 sec LO (an octave, FWIW), roughly.

The only time I have heard the "alarm" go off is when the CPU gets too hot.
Since you have had issues with heatsink mounting, I would look there first.

From: RobV on
Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> Have swpped an ASUS P4S8X into a new box. BTW, found that the board
> deforms quite heavily under the load of the CPU cooler press down
> force and had to put a rubber bumper under the board so that it
> wouldn't touch the sheet metal bottom. Hope it didn't suffer any
> damage meanwhile.
>
> Anyway, what is new now is that I have put a P4 3.0 GHz (or is it 3.02
> or 3.2? - not sure at the moment when writing this) in it and put in
> two 1GB Ram bars (Samsung PC3200U-30331-EO 1GB DDR PC3200 CL3) into
> it.
>
> Also I in lack of a better graphics card a Matrox G200 AGB is in it.
>
> No keyboard is connected yet but I was hoping to get a BIOS screean at
> the least.
> Instead the only thing what happens after powering on is a alternating
> beep, starting 0.5 sec HI, 0.5 sec LO (an octave, FWIW), roughly.
>
> What could be wrong. Any source for the beep codes somewhere?

That's a pretty standard code for CPU overheating. If the heatsink
isn't mounted properly and not contacting the CPU as it should, the CPU
can overheat very quickly and the BIOS will give the "siren" sound.
It's also possible the CPU heatsink fan is not plugged into the proper
socket, or the fan is not spinning, or spinning fast enough for what the
BIOS expects. You did use a thin coat of thermal compound between the
CPU and heatsink?

From: Christoph Kukulies on
RobV <robv(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> > the least.
> > Instead the only thing what happens after powering on is a alternating
> > beep, starting 0.5 sec HI, 0.5 sec LO (an octave, FWIW), roughly.
> >
> > What could be wrong. Any source for the beep codes somewhere?

> That's a pretty standard code for CPU overheating. If the heatsink
> isn't mounted properly and not contacting the CPU as it should, the CPU
> can overheat very quickly and the BIOS will give the "siren" sound.
> It's also possible the CPU heatsink fan is not plugged into the proper
> socket, or the fan is not spinning, or spinning fast enough for what the
> BIOS expects. You did use a thin coat of thermal compound between the
> CPU and heatsink?

The beep starts as the first sign that could be heard after powering on
the computer from cold. But as you say, overheating could start quickly.
I put some white termo compound on the soft rubber square pad also.

No display at all. The fan spins (also fast I would say) There are two
receptacles for the CPU fan plug. Thought they were equal.

OK, will give it another try tonight.
Thanks so far.