From: Klaus Haber on
Hello,

I use the ASUS-Board P5GD2 Deluxe. This board has totaly 8 USB 2.0-ports, 4
at the real panel direct connected and 4 ports at the front, connected by
cable to the board.

I found out, that 2 ports at the front will not work properly, if I connect
them to my Epson Scanner. If I do so, I get a failure message, that an
other scanner is already connected to the computer, which is not true. All
other 6 USB-ports are working well with the scanner. I changed the
USB-cable, no success. If I connect a camera, an USB-stick, an external
USB-harddisk to these both ports, they all work well, exception is the
scanner. I have no idea, what could be reason of this effect. Have the
different USB-ports also differnt valances?
If I connect the scanner to the different ports of my laptop, also no
problems. So I assume, that the failure should be at the ASUS-board.

Is there one possibility to test generally an USB-port for its
functionallity?

Thank you for comments, regards

Klaus Haber

--
Homepage: http://www.bingo-ev.de/~Klaus.Haber
"pH-Messung - einfach zu verstehen"
From: Rob on

"Klaus Haber" <Klaus.Haber(a)bingo-ev.de> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I use the ASUS-Board P5GD2 Deluxe. This board has totaly 8 USB 2.0-ports,
> 4
> at the real panel direct connected and 4 ports at the front, connected by
> cable to the board.
>
> I found out, that 2 ports at the front will not work properly, if I
> connect
> them to my Epson Scanner. If I do so, I get a failure message, that an
> other scanner is already connected to the computer, which is not true. All
> other 6 USB-ports are working well with the scanner. I changed the
> USB-cable, no success. If I connect a camera, an USB-stick, an external
> USB-harddisk to these both ports, they all work well, exception is the
> scanner. I have no idea, what could be reason of this effect. Have the
> different USB-ports also differnt valances?
> If I connect the scanner to the different ports of my laptop, also no
> problems. So I assume, that the failure should be at the ASUS-board.
>
> Is there one possibility to test generally an USB-port for its
> functionallity?

Poor quality (or incorrect) case wiring to the front USB ports is probably
the cause, rather than a motherboard fault, as I have seen similar issues
with
many different systems.
Do you have any rear USB ports which plug into a different motherboard
header? If so, plug these into the suspect header instead of the case front
ports and try with your scanner. If it now works, you know the problem is
bad front case USB wiring and not a faulty mobo.

HTH,
--
Rob

From: Klaus Haber on
Hello Rob,

thanks for reply!

Am Fri, 28 Nov 2008 13:13:35 -0000 schrieb Rob:

> "Klaus Haber" <Klaus.Haber(a)bingo-ev.de> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I use the ASUS-Board P5GD2 Deluxe. This board has totaly 8 USB 2.0-ports,
>> 4
>> at the real panel direct connected and 4 ports at the front, connected by
>> cable to the board.
>>
>> I found out, that 2 ports at the front will not work properly, if I
>> connect
>> them to my Epson Scanner. If I do so, I get a failure message, that an
>> other scanner is already connected to the computer, which is not true. All
>> other 6 USB-ports are working well with the scanner. I changed the
>> USB-cable, no success. If I connect a camera, an USB-stick, an external
>> USB-harddisk to these both ports, they all work well, exception is the
>> scanner. I have no idea, what could be reason of this effect. Have the
>> different USB-ports also differnt valances?
>> If I connect the scanner to the different ports of my laptop, also no
>> problems. So I assume, that the failure should be at the ASUS-board.
>>
>> Is there one possibility to test generally an USB-port for its
>> functionallity?
>
> Poor quality (or incorrect) case wiring to the front USB ports is probably
> the cause, rather than a motherboard fault, as I have seen similar issues
> with
> many different systems.
> Do you have any rear USB ports which plug into a different motherboard
> header?

Sorry, english is not my motherlanguage and I did not understand the last
sentence well. What is a "motherboard header"? By the way, I habe no
different motherboard.

> If so, plug these into the suspect header instead of the case front
> ports and try with your scanner. If it now works, you know the problem is
> bad front case USB wiring and not a faulty mobo.

What I don't understand is, that other equipment will run at theese two
ports, only the scanner will not do so. That means in my eyes, that the
scanner is missing something which will not influence the other running
equipment. Perhaps a special signal, a voltage and so on. Is this possible?
USB connection ist a standard one and it is valid - as far as I know - for
all USB-users. And the fact, that other equipment will run creates in me
the opinion, that the port must be ok. But I am only a user and not a profi
;-)

Regards

Klaus

From: Rob on
Hi Klaus,

> Hello Rob,
>
> thanks for reply!
>
> Am Fri, 28 Nov 2008 13:13:35 -0000 schrieb Rob:
>
>> "Klaus Haber" <Klaus.Haber(a)bingo-ev.de> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I use the ASUS-Board P5GD2 Deluxe. This board has totaly 8 USB
>>> 2.0-ports,
>>> 4
>>> at the real panel direct connected and 4 ports at the front, connected
>>> by
>>> cable to the board.
>>>
>>> I found out, that 2 ports at the front will not work properly, if I
>>> connect
>>> them to my Epson Scanner. If I do so, I get a failure message, that an
>>> other scanner is already connected to the computer, which is not true.
>>> All
>>> other 6 USB-ports are working well with the scanner. I changed the
>>> USB-cable, no success. If I connect a camera, an USB-stick, an external
>>> USB-harddisk to these both ports, they all work well, exception is the
>>> scanner. I have no idea, what could be reason of this effect. Have the
>>> different USB-ports also differnt valances?
>>> If I connect the scanner to the different ports of my laptop, also no
>>> problems. So I assume, that the failure should be at the ASUS-board.
>>>
>>> Is there one possibility to test generally an USB-port for its
>>> functionallity?
>>
>> Poor quality (or incorrect) case wiring to the front USB ports is
>> probably
>> the cause, rather than a motherboard fault, as I have seen similar issues
>> with
>> many different systems.
>> Do you have any rear USB ports which plug into a different motherboard
>> header?
>
> Sorry, english is not my motherlanguage and I did not understand the last
> sentence well. What is a "motherboard header"? By the way, I habe no
> different motherboard.

It is a difficult thing to explain, even if english is your first language!
:)
Maybe this site will help:

http://www.directron.com/installusb.html

You will need to look at the 'onboard connectors' section of your
motherboard manual, too.

>> If so, plug these into the suspect header instead of the case front
>> ports and try with your scanner. If it now works, you know the problem
>> is
>> bad front case USB wiring and not a faulty mobo.
>
> What I don't understand is, that other equipment will run at theese two
> ports, only the scanner will not do so. That means in my eyes, that the
> scanner is missing something which will not influence the other running
> equipment. Perhaps a special signal, a voltage and so on. Is this
> possible?
> USB connection ist a standard one and it is valid - as far as I know - for
> all USB-users. And the fact, that other equipment will run creates in me
> the opinion, that the port must be ok. But I am only a user and not a
> profi
> ;-)

It could be a problem with the 'shielding' of the cable which goes from the
motherboard to the front panel. If this is not connected properly (or there
is no shield), some high speed USB devices may have problems.

Hope this helps, :)
--
Rob

From: Paul on
Klaus Haber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use the ASUS-Board P5GD2 Deluxe. This board has totaly 8 USB 2.0-ports, 4
> at the real panel direct connected and 4 ports at the front, connected by
> cable to the board.
>
> I found out, that 2 ports at the front will not work properly, if I connect
> them to my Epson Scanner. If I do so, I get a failure message, that an
> other scanner is already connected to the computer, which is not true. All
> other 6 USB-ports are working well with the scanner. I changed the
> USB-cable, no success. If I connect a camera, an USB-stick, an external
> USB-harddisk to these both ports, they all work well, exception is the
> scanner. I have no idea, what could be reason of this effect. Have the
> different USB-ports also differnt valances?
> If I connect the scanner to the different ports of my laptop, also no
> problems. So I assume, that the failure should be at the ASUS-board.
>
> Is there one possibility to test generally an USB-port for its
> functionallity?
>
> Thank you for comments, regards
>
> Klaus Haber

You have one of these in the motherboard box.

http://estore.asus.com/images/14-000012222.JPG

Disconnect the front panel USB wiring. Connect up the
2x5 USB cable of the 14-000012222 adapter. (You don't
need to connect the game port.)

Plug the scanner into the faceplate of the adapter.
Test the scanner. If it works with the Asus adapter,
but not with the computer wiring, then the computer
wiring is faulty.

HTH,
Paul
 |  Next  |  Last