From: Paul on
Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> RobV <robv(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>> Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>>> the least.
>>> Instead the only thing what happens after powering on is a alternating
>>> beep, starting 0.5 sec HI, 0.5 sec LO (an octave, FWIW), roughly.
>>>
>>> What could be wrong. Any source for the beep codes somewhere?
>
>> That's a pretty standard code for CPU overheating. If the heatsink
>> isn't mounted properly and not contacting the CPU as it should, the CPU
>> can overheat very quickly and the BIOS will give the "siren" sound.
>> It's also possible the CPU heatsink fan is not plugged into the proper
>> socket, or the fan is not spinning, or spinning fast enough for what the
>> BIOS expects. You did use a thin coat of thermal compound between the
>> CPU and heatsink?
>
> The beep starts as the first sign that could be heard after powering on
> the computer from cold. But as you say, overheating could start quickly.
> I put some white termo compound on the soft rubber square pad also.
>
> No display at all. The fan spins (also fast I would say) There are two
> receptacles for the CPU fan plug. Thought they were equal.
>

> OK, will give it another try tonight.
> Thanks so far.
>
> --
> Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kukulies (at) rwth-aachen.de

In this thread, a P4S8X uses its "siren" when the power supply
voltage rail is outside the normal value.

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus/browse_thread/thread/966504aaef3d6c26?q=p4s8x+siren#c0e69e19bb037528

I see an "AGP warn" LED on the motherboard (the red LED) and yet
I don't see a plastic key in the AGP slot. The motherboard manual
suggests using 1.5V-only video cards. No 3.3V video cards should be
used.

http://images.ukgamer.com/reviews/asus/p4s8x/board_large.jpg

(Manual - see PDF page 35)
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4s8x/e1120_p4s8x.pdf

The G200 is probably a 3.3V card. It is listed as such here.
The SIS648 chipset is "Universal 1.5V AGP 3.0 Motherboard",
meaning a 3.3V only video card should not be used.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

The three types of video cards are shown here. A motherboard
that would be burned by a 3.3V card, should have a plastic
plug in the AGP slot, in the "1.5V" position. Then, the only
way to plug in a video card, is if there is a matching slot
as is shown in the left-most and right-most cards in this picture.
The middle card should mechanically be impossible to install,
because the plastic key in the 1.5V position, bumps into the
slot connector.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/voltageslots.jpg

The "AGP Warn" circuit on your motherboard, should have
prevented the ATX power supply from starting. If the wrong
kind of video card is somehow inserted (SIS305 say), the
red LED should light up and the ATX supply should refuse to
start. It sounds like your power supply has started for
some reason.

This G200 looks like a 3.3V only card, judging by the slot pattern.

http://www.hardwarezone.com/reviews/video/g200/G-200.jpg

Check the video card issue carefully. Try another video card,
and hope the motherboard was not damaged.

Paul
From: Christoph Kukulies on
Thanks, Paul, for the valuable and detailed information .
I put in a 3.2 GHz P4 today and it could be the other CPU was defunct.

I will check the AGP issue later.

--
Christoph

From: Christoph Kukulies on
Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:
> Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> > RobV <robv(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> In this thread, a P4S8X uses its "siren" when the power supply
> voltage rail is outside the normal value.

> http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus/browse_thread/thread/966504aaef3d6c26?q=p4s8x+siren#c0e69e19bb037528

> I see an "AGP warn" LED on the motherboard (the red LED) and yet
> I don't see a plastic key in the AGP slot. The motherboard manual
> suggests using 1.5V-only video cards. No 3.3V video cards should be
> used.

> http://images.ukgamer.com/reviews/asus/p4s8x/board_large.jpg

> (Manual - see PDF page 35)
> http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4s8x/e1120_p4s8x.pdf

> The G200 is probably a 3.3V card. It is listed as such here.
> The SIS648 chipset is "Universal 1.5V AGP 3.0 Motherboard",
> meaning a 3.3V only video card should not be used.

Sorry, I was wrong with the graphics card. It was a Radeon (type escapes
me for the moment) and it was a universal (two slits) card, so no
endangering to fear.

The CPU was - as said earlier - was probably gone south.

--
Christoph