From: Dave Platt on

In article <fiKwn.33934$iL1.10969(a)newsfe24.iad>,
Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>TVs are typically shipped with default display settings that are way too
>bright, over sharpened and too contrasty with posterised colours. That
>is apparently what the slimy marketeers have determined sells most kit!
>
>I guess they have to be bright to look good in shop windows.

Bingo.

Last year, when I was TV shopping, I saw something which at least
brings a ray of hope to the situation. A particular LCD TV's setup
screen had a whole bunch of brightness-and-contrast choices: and one
of them read something like "Store Demo". It was, if I recall
correctly, the brightest and most garish of the lot.

I don't mind that a bright, competitive "store demo" setting be
included... but it'd really be nice if it wasn't the default!

--
Dave Platt <dplatt(a)radagast.org> AE6EO
From: MooseFET on
On Apr 11, 4:48 pm, "Skybuck Flying" <IntoTheFut...(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There is one big problem with CRT's, LCD's and possibly even televisions....
>
> They all project lot's of light into our eyes, which screws with our
> wake/sleeping pattern.
> (Especially large white area's on the screens.)
>
> Maybe analog/non-light displays could solve such "health" issue's.

Electro-mechanical puppets!

Only the story line needs to be sent. The computer works out all the
motions.

From: Morten Reistad on
In article <fiKwn.33934$iL1.10969(a)newsfe24.iad>,
Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I guess they have to be bright to look good in shop windows.
>
>You can adjust these settings to get a sensible real looking default
>picture. A few of the newer ones now dynamically vary the back light
>brightness to enhance to total luminance range displayable and/or
>respond to changing ambient light levels automatically.
>>
>> But the fault is that of the user, wanting colors that are too
>> saturated, too bright, and not at all realistick. All TVs that I have
>> seen in the past 20 years come with a control unit tha allows the user
>> to FIX the color should he not be so blind as he cannot correlate
>> reality with TV.

I, for one, find it very hard to correlate reality with tv. It has
nothing to do with the colours, or the display settings, though.

-- mrr
From: Del Cecchi on

"Quadibloc" <jsavard(a)ecn.ab.ca> wrote in message
On Apr 11, 5:48 pm, "Skybuck Flying" <IntoTheFut...(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There is one big problem with CRT's, LCD's and possibly even
> televisions...
>
> They all project lot's of light into our eyes, which screws with our
> wake/sleeping pattern.
> (Especially large white area's on the screens.)
>
> Maybe analog/non-light displays could solve such "health" issue's.

I just read an article that claims that if we go to the bathroom in
the middle of the night, we should use a night light instead of
turning the lights on. But the plug in the bathroom only works if you
turn the lights on, so people will have to use up flashlight batteries
to avoid getting cancer from light overstimulating their brain cells.

I doubt, though, that this is as bad as smoking.

John Savard

What idiot wired the plug in your bathroom?

From: Robert Myers on
On Apr 13, 6:02 pm, "Del Cecchi" <delcec...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> What idiot wired the plug in your bathroom?

My house, when I bought it, had only an outlet in the bathroom
connected to the light over the mirror. I had to have an electrician
install a separate outlet. The house was very old, and much of the
wiring had to be updated.

Robert.